• Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Votes |
I escaped my J.O.B. with Real Estate!

Dave Poeppelmeier
  • Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Posted Dec 3 2020, 12:10

I cannot believe the day is almost here. Tomorrow, December 5th, I will retire after 20 years as a Physical Therapist. Most people would say "I can't believe you're just leaving that career!" Yes, I received a B.S. in Physical Therapy in 2000 (it's now 8 years and a Doctorate to be a PT... noooo way) that I worked extremely hard for. But, I have wanted to get out of PT and being an employee for over 13 years after being jerked around by employers, reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, and working with a MLM company that taught me an unbelievable amount about how to be an Entrepreneur. My wife and I bought our first rental in 2013 with money out of my 401k, penalties and all, and haven't looked back since. My wife became a Realtor 5 years ago simply to allow us to go see houses whenever we wanted to, and is now making way more than she was as a teacher with a Master's Degree (that we were paying for student loans on for well after she stopped teaching). I got my own Real Estate License this past May, and along with the 17 SFH we have (and growing) here in Toledo, we finally have enough income coming in through our sales/rental as well as the income I will make in working with our Property Management to allow me to walk away from the crap-show that is Health Care.

I'm sharing this not to gloat, but to show people that it is possible to get out of your job. I would love to say that with the income a PT makes, we were able to just go out and put full 25% down payments on everything and it was easy. It was not. A lot of crap hit the fan for us personally along the way. The Law of Attraction is real, and if you keep your goals in front of you, and keep thinking about it, it will happen. So if you hate your job, and are trying to figure out how to get that next house or duplex, keep working on it. It may not work every time, but it's going to work. It will keep building on itself, and before you know it deals WILL start coming to you because people know you are an honorable, hard working Investor. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Rathert
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Dec 5 2020, 17:29

@Dave Poeppelmeier

Congratulations!

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Sullivan
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dothan, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dothan, AL
Replied Dec 5 2020, 17:34

@Dave Poeppelmeier Awesome and congrats!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Sherman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Dec 5 2020, 18:03

Sir,

I appreciate the encouragement- I was just listening to Brian Buffini's Law of the Harvest today and I think the Law of Attraction really made me come across this today.

Best of luck to you,

See you in FF/FI land someday

Tanner

Top Tier Pro Team at DVG Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Joey Hicks
  • Athens, TN
Votes |
  • Athens, TN
Replied Dec 5 2020, 18:33

@Dave Poeppelmeier congratulations and thank you for sharing. You are an inspiration. I’m trying to get out of the corporate world. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Christine Alanes
  • Realtor
  • Northridge, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Northridge, CA
Replied Dec 5 2020, 19:24

@Dave Poeppelmeier

Congrats Dave on your accomplishment! How do you like being a realtor and does your clients come from your workplace? I would be curious to know how your co-workers reacted?

User Stats

Votes
George Lods
Pro Member
  • Roseville Ca
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Roseville Ca
Replied Dec 5 2020, 19:41

@Dave Poeppelmeier

That’s awesome and congratulations!!!

I am in the same boat. As a Registered Nurse I’m beyond being over the current healthcare system and the way it is ran today. I have your exact plan, one door at a time until I reach that freedom number and it will be deuces ✌🏼to the Hospital and w-2 life!

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Cisneros
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Dec 5 2020, 23:17

@Dave Poeppelmeier this is very inspiring and motivating, Congratulations! I have a set day for December 7th 2025. Your story is just pure fuel for me, Thanks a lot for sharing!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Poeppelmeier
  • Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Replied Dec 6 2020, 05:02

@Christine Alanes my coworkers loved it. Sadly, every single one of my close coworkers would want to get out of Health Care, they just don't have another avenue like what I have. @Steve Vaughan don't get me wrong, I loved working with my patients, and I felt like I was "making a difference", but it was not enough to endure everything else that the Health Care system, Corporate, and the Government throws at us.

User Stats

Votes
Jonny Abramson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Hampshire, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Hampshire, IL
Replied Dec 6 2020, 05:13

@Dave Poeppelmeier thank you for sharing the awesome story and congrats on being free!!!

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Jones
  • Investor
  • Abbotsford, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Abbotsford, WI
Replied Dec 6 2020, 05:20

Thank you for sharing Dave. Your story is my goal and it reminds me to keep my eyes on the prize. I started my career in REI in 2/13/2020 and got my 1st wholesale deal in March 2020. Since that day I knew this is the career path for me and my family. My main goal is to get away from my 9 to 5 job where my strings are being pulled to a profession that I really enjoy. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing. I really needed to read read this today.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Dec 6 2020, 06:02
Originally posted by @Dave Poeppelmeier:

I cannot believe the day is almost here. Tomorrow, December 5th, I will retire after 20 years as a Physical Therapist. Most people would say "I can't believe you're just leaving that career!" Yes, I received a B.S. in Physical Therapy in 2000 (it's now 8 years and a Doctorate to be a PT... noooo way) that I worked extremely hard for. But, I have wanted to get out of PT and being an employee for over 13 years after being jerked around by employers, reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, and working with a MLM company that taught me an unbelievable amount about how to be an Entrepreneur. My wife and I bought our first rental in 2013 with money out of my 401k, penalties and all, and haven't looked back since. My wife became a Realtor 5 years ago simply to allow us to go see houses whenever we wanted to, and is now making way more than she was as a teacher with a Master's Degree (that we were paying for student loans on for well after she stopped teaching). I got my own Real Estate License this past May, and along with the 17 SFH we have (and growing) here in Toledo, we finally have enough income coming in through our sales/rental as well as the income I will make in working with our Property Management to allow me to walk away from the crap-show that is Health Care.

I'm sharing this not to gloat, but to show people that it is possible to get out of your job. I would love to say that with the income a PT makes, we were able to just go out and put full 25% down payments on everything and it was easy. It was not. A lot of crap hit the fan for us personally along the way. The Law of Attraction is real, and if you keep your goals in front of you, and keep thinking about it, it will happen. So if you hate your job, and are trying to figure out how to get that next house or duplex, keep working on it. It may not work every time, but it's going to work. It will keep building on itself, and before you know it deals WILL start coming to you because people know you are an honorable, hard working Investor. Good luck!

Welcome to the ranks of the self employed..  its a life style simple as that..  and a nice model to follow.. sales commissions  rental income.

I started in reverse personally selling real estate at 18  and never looked back  so its just my life  ..   and it is a J O B you cant be successful without putting in effort  but you are your own boss and your success and such is all on you .. 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Dec 6 2020, 06:59
Plus Dave I hear you on the medical.. I started a Corf   Comprehensive outpatient respiratory facility.. And  I had no business doing that.. although we help a lot of folks with their COPD ..  dealing with the medical system was just too hard to do .. closed up shop within 6 months of getting licensed.. big loss  big lesson.. stick to what you know..

User Stats

Votes
Kevork Artinian
Pro Member
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Replied Dec 6 2020, 07:49

@Dave Poeppelmeier looking to follow your success. Just purchased my 1st property. Cheers to the future

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Dec 6 2020, 08:13
Originally posted by @Dave Poeppelmeier:

@Steve Vaughan don't get me wrong, I loved working with my patients, and I felt like I was "making a difference", but it was not enough to endure everything else that the Health Care system, Corporate, and the Government throws at us.

Thanks for replying, Dave. 

Purpose I don't think is discussed enough in the FI and I just quit my career discussions.

Even though my 'patients' were RIAs I never met, the purpose itch will need to be scratched when the dust settles a bit.  I find myself looking to volunteer and support causes I care about.  Only so much napping I can do, right? 

User Stats

Votes
Damon Holley
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Athens, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Athens, TX
Replied Dec 6 2020, 09:43

@Dave Poeppelmeier

Great post Dave. Almost same story but I am still looking for my first deal. My wife is a realtor and I take my test next Friday.

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Morris
Pro Member
  • Salem, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Salem, VA
Replied Dec 6 2020, 10:31

@Dave Poeppelmeier congrats!!! Great work!!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 6 2020, 12:23

Hey Dave, that is an awesome testimony and thank you for sharing those encouraging words! I needed to read that. Although 2020 was crazy, I bought my first two investment homes this year. I am reading (no studying!) Dave Greene's BRRR book. I plan to use it to build wealth and leave the 9 to 5 work. After you read Rich Dad Poor Dad you never look at the workforce the same. It is not our fault. It was what our parent knew and taught us. So again thank you for those encouraging words. I look forward to the day when I will write a similar testimony!! God Bless, Have a wonderful Passion Career and a Fabulous New Year!

User Stats

Votes
Moncy Samuel
  • Investor
  • Suwanee, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Suwanee, GA
Replied Dec 6 2020, 16:01

Inspiring...story

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Placella
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Dec 6 2020, 16:12

@Dave Poeppelmeier Congratulations! Another fellow DPT over here! Very inspirational and hope to be in your shoes soon. Looking to get started in my REI journey very soon.

User Stats

Votes
Megha Sharma
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Replied Dec 8 2020, 18:13

Congrats to you and your wife.