Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Steven Kotik
Pro Member
Votes |
Best option to access cash from our free and clear commercial property.

Steven Kotik
Pro Member
Posted Sep 14 2023, 09:37

My family owns a nice commercial property that is paid free and clear, and we have a long-term A+ tenant. We have a triple net lease that will most likely extend for the life of the lease. 5 year, 5 year extension, then two options to extend each an additional 5 year period. We are in the process of moving the deed to our LLC which we have setup.

With all that said, what are the best methods for us to access the equity in our building so that we can use it for other REI deals and why? I would think that we could pretty easily qualify through a commerical lender but what products are best. Right now we are just banking our cash in our LLC account and will probably move some of the money into a short term CD while we figure things out.

I though a commercial HELOC could be good, my brother thinks that taking out a loan and reusing the monthly rent income to pay it would allows to lessen our income tax and use the loan tax free.

What do the seasoned professionals here have to say about this? Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Sep 14 2023, 11:44
Quote from @Steven Kotik:

My family owns a nice commercial property that is paid free and clear, and we have a long-term A+ tenant. We have a triple net lease that will most likely extend for the life of the lease. 5 year, 5 year extension, then two options to extend each an additional 5 year period. We are in the process of moving the deed to our LLC which we have setup.

With all that said, what are the best methods for us to access the equity in our building so that we can use it for other REI deals and why? I would think that we could pretty easily qualify through a commerical lender but what products are best. Right now we are just banking our cash in our LLC account and will probably move some of the money into a short term CD while we figure things out.

I though a commercial HELOC could be good, my brother thinks that taking out a loan and reusing the monthly rent income to pay it would allows to lessen our income tax and use the loan tax free.

What do the seasoned professionals here have to say about this? Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter. 

Commercial LOCS are a bit harder to come by, so if you have something you're looking to invest in immediately, I'd suggest the loan.

If you have time and can really look around with a lender, and don't have something you need the immediate cash for, then I would shop for a LOC

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Sep 19 2023, 20:21

@Steven Kotik Bigger Pockets has SO many resources but it's not really a commercial site.  Things like warehousing, gas stations, buying/selling businesses, etc. are all left out here.  You have some comments above but I have a feeling you need to continue your search some.  We just don't have the exhaustive resources for commercial stuff here like we do with residential. 

Guaranteed Rate Logo
PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Sep 20 2023, 14:49

@Steven Kotik

commercial heloc  if you can locate a lender that can offer one  that  doesnt  cost too much to set up