Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Jason Eyerly
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
Debt:Income Ratio - How do I know if I'll qualify?

Jason Eyerly
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Las Vegas, NV
Posted Jul 9 2014, 12:44

Hello BP,

Now that I'm in The Big Apple, my girlfriend and I are looking to get into REI and build our future here. As a professional trader, I am expecting to have a pretty good salary, so most of the REI business although a joint venture, will be on my fiance's part full-time. We were planning on saving $50k to use as down payments towards some mortgages to obtain cash flow properties. However, being in NYC 10% down is probably more like $75,000-$100,000 for a small apartment in the city or any houses in the other boroughs. So this all leaves me wondering:

1) Should I consider investing long-distance where I can use family/friends as PM in Indiana or Las Vegas?

2) How do I calculate debt:income and whether I can qualify?

3) How many mortgages can I get?

4) Are the standards the same on down-payment for a multi-family unit? Ideally, I would like to snag up some multi-family buildings in the boroughs outside Manhattan, and perhaps something I could get an FHA loan on and live rent-free.

Perhaps, @Albert Bui or @Darren Sager could chime in here. You are both experts in these areas, respectively. 

Thanks In Advance.

Loading replies...