Votes
Patrick Jacques
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Errors on credit report

Patrick Jacques
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Jul 27 2014, 09:13

Upon applying for money from a lender, we were to submit a copy of our credit history.   My father makes much more than I do, so we supplied his history first.

However, his credit history was filled with every address I have ever lived at , plus properties he has never had his name associated with.  There is also a delinquent notice, something neither of us have ever had. We called the bank, they said "Oh I dont know."  We called the credit company, they said "Oh I dont know."  

Who do we really need to be pursuing at this point?  

User Stats

Votes
Lance Johnson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jul 27 2014, 09:16

Do these errors appear on reports from all three major reporting bureaus? Especially for the delinquency notice, that was reported by someone, and there will be a record of that so you can follow-up with the reporter first.

There are formal dispute policies for credit reports that contain errors. You can file most of them online.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Braeutigam
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Anchorage, AK
Replied Jul 27 2014, 10:03

I recently finished a book entitled 'The Big Score: Getting it and Keeping It, Buying Power For Life' by Linda Ferrari that has good strategies and helpful tips for correcting credit report errors, as well as a lot of other good information. You can get it on Amazon for about $25, which I initially thought was a little expensive for a 285 page paperback, but after reading it I believe it is worth the cost. I have also employed Lexington Law to clean up errors on my credit report and I have had some success with them. Good luck, and please let us know what methods you end up using and how well they work!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes