Skip to content
Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes

First investment property for less than 10% down

Posted Jan 3 2023, 13:40

Looking to buy a single family home and use as a STR on Airbnb. Are there any loans out there that require less than 10% down?

User Stats

Votes
Braydin Mehnert
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 4 2023, 09:43

@Sundone Boutvyseth Unfortunately, none that I know of. Any time you are not living in the property it is more risky for the lender. This risk is amplified the less money you have attached to the deal. In real terms you would walk away from an investment long before a primary residence and therefore most banks will not allow it for anything less than 10%. The only other option would be to get a coborrower to bring the down payment or get seller financing with a lower down payment. 

Hope this helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Wolk
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 4 2023, 10:39
Quote from @Sundone Boutvyseth:

Looking to buy a single family home and use as a STR on Airbnb. Are there any loans out there that require less than 10% down?

Not for an investment property. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jan 4 2023, 12:04

@Sundone Boutvyseth-the lowest Down for a SFR rental property is 15% ...if you are able to locate an option with 10% down - this is likely going to be pricey but if you need to minize the down - it might be worth using

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 4 2023, 12:06
Quote from @Braydin Mehnert:

@Sundone Boutvyseth Unfortunately, none that I know of. Any time you are not living in the property it is more risky for the lender. This risk is amplified the less money you have attached to the deal. In real terms you would walk away from an investment long before a primary residence and therefore most banks will not allow it for anything less than 10%. The only other option would be to get a coborrower to bring the down payment or get seller financing with a lower down payment. 

Hope this helps! 

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Quote from @Dave Skow:

@Sundone Boutvyseth-the lowest Down for a SFR rental property is 15% ...if you are able to locate an option with 10% down - this is likely going to be pricey but if you need to minize the down - it might be worth using

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Quote from @Matthew Wolk:

Not for an investment property. 

User Stats

Votes
Brad Jacobson
  • Realtor
  • Ogden, UT
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Ogden, UT
Replied Jan 13 2023, 09:03

Hey @Sundone Boutvyseth,

Mountain America actually has a private loan program for Utah investment properties that is only 10% down.  I've now used it twice.

The program requires 10% down, must be a rental, no PMI, and has a very high standard of credit.

Last I did it (Summer 2022), my rate landed in the low 5%.  I believe they're almost 8% with that program currently but if it provides an entry point, you should consider it!  Contact me if you'd like a lender recommendation.

On top of the MACU loan, you can buy a STR as a second residence which only requires 10% down as well. I personally haven't done this but I have helped clients do it in the past.

Hit me up if you're interested!

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Jan 13 2023, 09:05

How do you intend to cash flow with such a low downpayment? I assume rates would tick up for such a low %, too. I also assume you do not have ample cash, so reserves would be even tighter and you'll be bleeding monthly on it cash flow wise.

User Stats

Votes
Ruairi Keane
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Jan 23 2023, 15:29

Hey @Sundone Boutvyseth,

Similar to what @Brad Jacobson said, your best option might be a secondary residence loan if you want to STR. This requires 10% down and you typically just have to live in the property for 14 days out of the year. Rates are also better with these than with an investment loan.

There are a couple of investment loan programs available that offer 10% down as well with no PMI, but they have slightly higher rates. Based on what my mortgage broker told me a couple of days ago, these rates are in the low 7%'s, whereas the secondary home loan is low 6's. I would be happy to connect you with him if you wanted to inquire further.

I think 10% is as low as you will find for investment property, unless you purchase an SFR with an ADU or mother-in-law and house hack with a primary home loan.

I hope that helps!

User Stats

Votes
Eric Yu
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jan 23 2023, 17:53
Quote from @Brad Jacobson:

Hey @Sundone Boutvyseth,

Mountain America actually has a private loan program for Utah investment properties that is only 10% down.  I've now used it twice.

The program requires 10% down, must be a rental, no PMI, and has a very high standard of credit.

Last I did it (Summer 2022), my rate landed in the low 5%.  I believe they're almost 8% with that program currently but if it provides an entry point, you should consider it!  Contact me if you'd like a lender recommendation.

On top of the MACU loan, you can buy a STR as a second residence which only requires 10% down as well. I personally haven't done this but I have helped clients do it in the past.

Hit me up if you're interested!

+1 to this MACU program. It was actually at 5.75% when I last checked on Friday with 0 PMI & 10% down. Really great investment loan program if you can qualify.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 24 2023, 20:40

No one would require you to put less than 10% down...

User Stats

Votes
Duane Richards
Pro Member
  • Cedar Hills, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cedar Hills, UT
Replied Jan 27 2023, 10:28

@Eric Yu, @Brad Jacobson, I bank at MACU, but I use a mortgage broker for most of my loans. Rates have not been very favorable through him lately, as you can imagine. Who do I talk to at MACU about this "private loan program" for investors?

Thanks in advance!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Duane Richards
Pro Member
  • Cedar Hills, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cedar Hills, UT
Replied Jan 27 2023, 10:29

@Sundone Boutvyseth I also did a 10% on STR in Florida last year, it's worked out really well, but went through a national lender. Glad to share my experience and information if anyone is interested.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Bailey
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orem, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orem, UT
Replied Jan 30 2023, 12:56

The only product I have seen is the MACU 10% for a non owner occupied.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 31 2024, 04:34
Quote from @Duane Richards:

@Sundone Boutvyseth I also did a 10% on STR in Florida last year, it's worked out really well, but went through a national lender. Glad to share my experience and information if anyone is interested.

Interested in some more details

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jan 31 2024, 04:55

NO