General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Harita Konjeti
Votes |
Terminated lease for tenant

Harita Konjeti
Posted Jul 8 2022, 15:54

I have given 60 day termination of lease to my tenant. Tenant is requesting lease doc of first year. Should i share the lease or not. Bigger pockets i need help.

User Stats

Votes
Curtis Denlinger
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 8 2022, 16:10

They should have their copy. But when the lease was signed it was a binding agreement between you (or whoever you bought the property from so now you since it transferred) and the tenant. Anything in the lease needs to be honored. In my experience, it seems like a tie or even anything that is even close to a tie goes in favor of the tenant. It’s our responsibility as the owner, the landlord to cross our Ts and dot our Is. I would guess if you didn’t share and the issue resulted in a lawsuit, not providing the lease would be an automatic strike against you and the judge would lean in favor of the tenant. 

They shouldn’t be anything shady in your lease so there should be no reason or hesitation to share it in my opinion. 

Out of curiosity, why are you hesitant to share the lease?  Had the lease been amended or have you drawn up a new lease in the years after the first year?  If after the first year you signed a new lease, that new lease would now be the controlling lease. If you only amended or added an addendum, then besides those sections that were amended, the original lease still applies.  End of the day, you signed, they signed, all was agreed upon, I would provide a copy of the lease. 

User Stats

Votes
Donna M.
Votes |

Yes. I would email or give them a copy. He should still leave at end of lease. No decent tenant wants to be evicted because they may never be able to rent again. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 9 2022, 07:13
Quote from @Harita Konjeti:

I have given 60 day termination of lease to my tenant. Tenant is requesting lease doc of first year. Should i share the lease or not. Bigger pockets i need help.

They probably just want to read it to see if there's some way they can get out of this. It wouldn't hurt to give them a copy as long as you're abiding by it.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Harita Konjeti
Votes |
Replied Aug 7 2022, 17:02

The lease copy was provided to him every time we renewed and first time too. 

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 7 2022, 17:05
Quote from @Harita Konjeti:

The lease copy was provided to him every time we renewed and first time too. 

Nothing wrong with resending it. Better yet upload it to your favorite cloud storage space and give them the permissions to view any time they want so you are not resending