Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Atul Mohlajee
  • Oak Park, IL
Votes |
Parking issues in a condo building (HOA ineffective)

Atul Mohlajee
  • Oak Park, IL
Posted Jun 3 2023, 21:02

I own a condo in a 10 unit building and have a tenant there. The tenant has her aloted parking spot #5 with the condo. Most of the days, the tenant can not park in her spot because the person with adjacent parking spot #6 encroaches into my tenant's spot. I called the association repeatedly and HOA refuses to tow incorrectly parked car. The are asking my tenant to make adjustment and not asking incorrect parker to fix her parking. What options do I have stop paying HOA, deducting HOA fee for parking spot, or retaining a lawyer to sue association? Please help here.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 3 2023, 21:07

@Atul Mohlajee

Have you reached out to the other person who is parking incorrectly? I would start there.

User Stats

Votes
Atul Mohlajee
  • Oak Park, IL
Votes |
  • Oak Park, IL
Replied Jun 3 2023, 21:38

Yes.  Other person says that she cannot park effectively so my tenant should move her car and work with her.  This condo was bought in 2008 and there was no parking issues until October 2022, when the other person moved in.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Jun 4 2023, 00:08
Aloha,

Do not waste your time with phone calls to the management. Send a clear, concise, unemotional letter with the facts that reference the specific rule being violated and whether that is a stall assigned by management to your unit, or if it is a "limited common element" exclusively for the use of your unit. Take a photo documenting the relative positions of the two vehicles. (Is there an obstruction, such as a column or plumbing stack that restricts one of the stalls?) If the neighboring vehicle is fairly well centered, not much you will be able to do. If they are crowding your line, then you may have a chance. If they have an oversized vehicle, you may have a better chance. (If they are actually over the line and partly in your designated space, have them towed, or have the HOA tow it if they are responsible for enforcement and towing.) Regardless, put it in writing, send it "Certified, Return Receipt Requested". That way you will have documented that it was received, in case no action is taken or response received. Depending on response, and in particular if they reject your request, determine what the appeal process is, usually you need to respond in writing within 30 days requesting a hearing. Then you attend the hearing and further plead your case.

You have NO authority to deduct or withhold payment of HOA fees. They can and usually will initiate legal actions up to and including foreclosure. The only other options you have, depending on your local laws and Governing Documents of your HOA are mediation or arbitration, both of which are much less costly than a lawsuit.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jun 4 2023, 04:16

@Atul Mohlajee  who is on the board?  If the occupant overparking on the right is on the board nothing with happen until you replace them. If the occupant on the left of your tenant is the board and your tenant overparks onto their space as a consequence of this issue you may get action. Not sure it will be what you want. HOAs often feel tenants are second class to owners.

Thinking out of the box: see if it is  viable to agree to switch spaces or put some traffic poles on the line to mark it  Maybe she just needs parking lessons. Go down there and put some visual cues in.

User Stats

Votes
Paul De Luca
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jun 5 2023, 07:36

@Atul Mohlajee

What does the other person mean by "she cannot park effectively"? What is preventing them from parking within their space? It should be made clear to the adjacent parker that they need to park correctly. If it continues to be a problem I would put pressure on the HOA to send notices to the adjacent parker to park correctly. Provide photo evidence every time the person parks incorrectly. Eventually I'm sure the HOA will be motivated to resolve the issue.

Like others have pointed out it would not be wise to withhold payment of HOA fees since the issue is not grounds for withholding payment.

• Real Estate Agent Illinois (#475.190985)

eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Angie Russell
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • South Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • South Florida
Replied Sep 5 2023, 06:09

Unfortunately, I do not think you have any recourse to not pay your dues. You are constantly going to management but just remember, the management company works for your Board and no one else. Go to the board. Take pictures and show up to meeting. Are the spots deeded? If so, not so easy to change. 

DEFY Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Sep 5 2023, 06:11

Have the car towed. 1 or 2 times of that happening, and they wont park in your space again

District Invest Group Logo