Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Leaky Pipe, Naked Tenant, Chain Locked Door: What Would You Do?

Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Posted Aug 15 2014, 10:14

Just curious: what would YOU do in this situation? 

(The lady in this story has a history of "drama" with us - so nothing in this story is unusual.) 

A tenant called last week about a pipe that has been leaking in her ceiling. We had problems with that pipe a few years ago and sent a plumber in to fix it. Apparently it wasn't fixed, and it's damaging the new drywall again. Ugh. That's a separate issue. 

We told the tenant we would send someone out. She called back the next day and said she doesn't want anyone to come over because she is sick and just got out of the hospital. (A line she has used A LOT over the past 5 years.)  In reality, I believe the tenant is a pretty severe alcoholic and doesn't want anyone in her unit.  We told her we had to come, it was a plumbing emergency. 

So we posted a legal notice that we would be entering her unit in 72 hours to fix the pipe (we posted it 72 hours ago.) The tenant called after seeing the notice (at night, outside business hours) and said she really doesn't want it fixed, again mentioning the hospital and being sick. We told her we need to come in anyways. 

This morning we meet the plumber over at the house. There is a note on her door. "Do not enter. I am sleeping."  

We unlock the door, and open in 3 inches - and the door chain is across the door. We can see inside that the tenant is inside, half naked, on the floor. Passed out cold.  She does not respond to our calls to her. 

So my question to you is:  What would you do?

[UPDATED-  SEE MY NEXT POST FURTHER DOWN THE THREAD]

Loading replies...