Votes
Zach Simon
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Renting out parking spots

Zach Simon
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Nov 25 2015, 08:31

I am considering buying an apartment in downtown Chicago that includes an indoor parking space. I want to rent out the unit and the parking separately. 

Is it easy to rent out parking spaces? What's the best way to do this? How does renting out a parking space differ from renting out an actual apartment in terms of costs, turnover, etc?

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Nov 25 2015, 08:34

@Zach Simon - I am assuming it is in a condo building?  Usually there is a bulletin board or list with the office of people waiting on spaces.  Then you just rent it out for the year, no overhead except for the taxes if it has a separate PIN.  

You lease would expire after a year or have a 30 day out clause, so when it is due you would just put something on the bulletin board or go back to the office.  

Second City Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeff B.
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Nov 25 2015, 08:37

hmm;  What is the on-street packing situation?  If you're in a high density neighborhood, I would suggest renting the spaces is not ideal - - you're actually creating a negative marketing situation, where down the street spaces come with the units, but not yours :thumbs down:

I have lockable garages with my MFU and most only come with car ports - - I win as they can serve as onsite, free storage units.

Every amenity is a marketing advantage.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Dossey
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 25 2015, 08:38
Originally posted by @Zach Simon:

I am considering buying an apartment in downtown Chicago that includes an indoor parking space. I want to rent out the unit and the parking separately. 

Is it easy to rent out parking spaces? What's the best way to do this? How does renting out a parking space differ from renting out an actual apartment in terms of costs, turnover, etc?

You can rent them separately. But I wouldn't be surprised if your tenant of the condo wants the spot as well. Maybe just bill it as a separate fee? 

User Stats

Votes
Franklin Romine
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA
Replied Nov 25 2015, 08:38

@Zach Simon

My thought would be to collect a full year parking rent up front.

Frank

User Stats

Votes
Bill Florence
  • Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Nov 25 2015, 09:18

Cool idea. I see ads out here for private garage city parking around a couple hundred a month. There is actually a sub-market for this kind of thing I think. Good luck and let us know how it worked out.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Dowling
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 25 2015, 09:37
Originally posted by @Franklin Romine:

@Zach Simon

My thought would be to collect a full year parking rent up front.

Frank

I'm not sure how reasonable that is. There's plenty of garage parking available in the city for about $200/month. Forcing a renter to pay that up front seems like a good way to send them to the competition.