Votes
Jason H.
  • Lawton, OK
Votes |
Eviction process Lawton, OK

Jason H.
  • Lawton, OK
Posted Jan 19 2016, 09:07

I have been managing rentals for 5 years now, I currently have 11 Sfh rentals.  I have always screened tenants and have had great luck so far.  But, I have a tenant who has been staying a month behind on rent for a while now, I have tried to work with her, but she is only getting worse, she just informed me that she can't make a payment for 2 more weeks until she gets paid, by then she will be 2 months behind.  Keep in mind that she was telling me the same thing 2 weeks ago.   I need to start the eviction process, but never having had to do this, I am not sure on the exact process.  I believe I have to do the 5 days pay or quit notice, but i don't know if this has to be legally served or not.  Could anyone who has experience with this in Oklahoma, specifically Comanche County please give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern, CA
Replied Jan 19 2016, 09:28

I'm not from Oklahoma but I did some research and it looks like the first step is to serve a Pay or Quit notice.  (You should do that right away at this point.)  There's even one in the File Place here on BP that you could take a look at to see if it will work for you:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/toben/file/oklahoma-5-day-notice-pay-or-quit

Assuming the tenant doesn't pay in the allotted time, here's an overview of the entire eviction process:

http://oklaw.org/resource/eviction-for-non-payment-of-rent?ref=62V48

Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Rhett Tullis
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Jan 19 2016, 09:39

shoot me a msg i have a doc i can give you from our lawyer that will help you.  i dont think he does your area but you would at least know what do to

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Rakes
  • Investor
  • Ponca City, OK
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Ponca City, OK
Replied Jan 19 2016, 18:41

there is a website that goes into detail for ok eviction. i would tell her you need her rent now or she has three days to GO. You cannot wait any longer or you need to file for eviction.

FYI...My lease says rent grace period is the fifth. Late fee is applied on the sixth and goes up every day. I also tell them if i have not gotten paid by the tenth i have to file for eviction, unless they have come and made an arrangement to catch up. Once a tenant is one month behind, how would you expect them to come up with double rent if they couldn't come up with a single month rent... IT BECOMES A SNOWBALL ...unless of course there were extenuating circumstances... a death, illness, etc. You would always want the tenant to give you an acceptable schedule to catch up.

User Stats

Votes
Helen Chen
  • Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Oct 27 2016, 10:07

A lot of time the tenant will pay or move out when you serve the quit or pay notice, if she really cannot pay, maybe bribe with a moving truck rent to help her out, but she will only get the money after move.

How is the rent market in lawton, OK? is it fluctuate when the army move?