• Investor
  • Damascus, MD
Votes |
Kitchen appliances

Thomas Giganti
  • Investor
  • Damascus, MD
Posted Jun 28 2016, 19:14

Question for all the experienced landlords out there- I'm just starting to renovate my first property in order to get it ready for rental. The kitchen is out dated and has original cabinets and countertops (both wooden in color). I'm redoing the counter tops with something more updated (some type of granite) and repainting the cabinets white and adding new pulls since they're in good shape. I currently have white appliances in there ( fridge and dishwasher are only a couple months new). So alas my question is   Is it worth it to replace all the appliances with stainless steel to give the full makeover look? Or keep the current appliances since it will be a rental? Any input appreciated. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Justin Fox
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Votes |
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Replied Jun 28 2016, 19:18

Depends on what the rentals in your area have.  If most have all white or mis-matched, then you're golden!

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Smith
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Durham, NC
Replied Jun 28 2016, 19:32

Replace with stainless.  I do in all of mine.  They really aren't any more expensive than white or black appliances these days.  You can buy a full SS kitchen set (fridge, range, microwave, dishwasher) for about $1,700-$1,800 all day long at Lowes.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jun 29 2016, 01:11

I hate stainless steel, and it's my opinion, that it will be outdated in no time, if it's not already.  White appliances are timeless and way easier to keep clean.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 29 2016, 05:02

I also hate stainless steel and would never replace good condition working appliances.

If you are going with granite I assume you have a high end rental otherwise you should be using laminate as a quick replacement item for the future. If it is high end and the market demands you may need SS to satisfy yuppie clients.

If it is a standard rental standard appliances and laminate counters only.

User Stats

Votes
Rich Vogel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milltown, NJ
Votes |
  • Milltown, NJ
Replied Jun 29 2016, 05:05

@Thomas Giganti if you are not in a high end market I would not replace the appliances.  If they are in good condition and working why mess with them.  I agree with Thomas above I would not be putting granite in a unit unless it is a high end unit.  I would be putting those prefab countertops in that they have at Lowes and Home Depot for $130 for I think it is 10ft.  They actually look really nice.

Thanks

Rich

User Stats

Votes
Bret N.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Woodbridge, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Woodbridge, VA
Replied Jun 29 2016, 05:09

Replace with stainless. Perhaps "scratch and dent" @ Lowes?

User Stats

Votes
Justin Fox
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Votes |
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Replied Jun 29 2016, 05:10

Super easy to make yourself some custom GFR Concrete Countertops.   If your rental is high-end, that is.  You could also update the cabinet doors and drawer faces if they're too dated and 'maw-maw' lookin' : ).   

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Giganti
  • Investor
  • Damascus, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Damascus, MD
Replied Jun 29 2016, 05:52

Thank you all for the great advice. My rental is in the DC metro area so I think there is a certain demand for these items in the market. I had never heard of the prefab counter tops before. After asking around I was told they work great for straight counter tops. But for L shape counter tops they tend to swell in the middle. 

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Smith
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Durham, NC
Replied Jun 29 2016, 06:05

I think people saying just keep white are missing out on the fact that the type of appliances can absolutely net you an extra  $100/month minimum in rent.  The type of things like type of appliances (or countertops) are what the renters care about and they justify the higher rental price.  

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jun 29 2016, 07:18

@Thomas Giganti I personally like black appliances. They look modern and do not show dirt. Stainless look great, but will not hold up as well. One scratch or dent and they look horrible, which leads me to ask @Bret N. why would you put a scratched or dented stainless appliance in a property?

If I have a property with some new white appliances, I will match with other white appliances. I don't prefer white, but I am not going to get rid of good appliances over color. As far as rent value, newer/good appliances are more important than color of appliance for gaining rent. I spend money to get decent appliances. I get flat top ranges and larger cubic foot refrigerators. I also get lower noise dishwashers. 

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Felice
  • Guy with Great Hair
  • Fayetteville, NC
Votes |
  • Guy with Great Hair
  • Fayetteville, NC
Replied Jun 29 2016, 07:31

Stainless is the way to go. I just did a full 4 piece appliance set in a rental for $1500 after tax. It was like $60 more than the white counterparts.

people can be negative about stainless (it's jus a trend/they don't holdup/they streak/etc), fact is it's an easier and faster sell for no real extra cost. reducing vacancy is the most profitable thing you can do. That said, if you already have new white appliances, stick with that.

for countertops I would go with Formica unless the area demands granite. the cost difference here will generally not warrant the cost increase. $500 for Formica vs $1500 for granite

User Stats

Votes
Mike Wood
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied Jun 29 2016, 07:31

@Thomas Giganti While I put stainless steel in all my new units (I build new duplex properties), given that your appliances are almost new, I am cautious to say replace.  If you can command more rent, then replace, as it will bring in more rent and provide a higher value for the unit. 

If I cant get more rent (which depends on the area), I would test the waters with selling them.  If I could get 30-40% of the new appliances, I would replace with stainless steel.

As for the counter tops, unless your in a low price point, more and more people expect granite. You can buy preformed laminate with the corners precut to make 90 degree turns.  Generally the preformed laminate counter will hold up for quite a bit (I only have one unit with laminate counters and it held up for 8 years and is only now showing signs of water swelling).

Check our the area's rentals (Zillow, Craigslist, Realtor) and see what other units have for amenities.  If every unit in your target price range has stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops, then that should drive your decision.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Giganti
  • Investor
  • Damascus, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Damascus, MD
Replied Jun 29 2016, 07:42

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

User Stats

Votes
Cresundo Whitaker
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 3 2016, 16:31

@Justin Fox That counter top looks like it will withstand any tenant and looks great in my opinon. you said it is super easy. Any tutorial?

User Stats

Votes
Justin Fox
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Votes |
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Replied Jul 3 2016, 17:02
Originally posted by @Cresundo Whitaker:

@Justin Fox That counter top looks like it will withstand any tenant and looks great in my opinon. you said it is super easy. Any tutorial?

Yeah, check out Buddy Rhodes and the concrete countertop institute.  They have tutorials and links to buddy rhodes' materials.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Turbitt
  • Grove City, OH
Votes |
  • Grove City, OH
Replied Jul 3 2016, 18:28

just depends on your market and your comps. If it's something middle if the road or under I wouldn't waste the money on ss, especially if you already have another set. If it's higher end area and your rent can support the increased rates then go for it and sell the white set

The issues I see overall are what happens if someone steals your 2k in ss appliances? Also I'd push you to a less porous countertop for a rental. Last thing you want to do is come in to find that someone left a spill on the counter all night and the counter is ruined.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Jr. Sterl
  • Vendor
  • North Bergen, NJ
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • North Bergen, NJ
Replied Nov 8 2016, 20:40

To help put things in perspective. I understand you only have so much money to spend this month.  

If you put granite on those old cabinets you are entombing them forever.  Not to say they can't be replaced but your going to pay the contractor for the normal labor, plus extra to cover his risk of cracking your granite and or someone getting hurt.

You can get a 10x10 kitchen (20 lin. ft.) of good attractive cabinets for around $1,600.  You probably don't need that much.

I'd do the appliances later and do the cabinets before that granite goes down.  The tenants should appreciate it more anyway.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Micah Watson
  • Greenville, MI
Votes |
  • Greenville, MI
Replied Mar 26 2019, 17:39

@Tom Jr. Sterl, where do I get cabinets for $1600? Sounds like a steal!

User Stats

Votes
Sharon B.
  • Colorado
Votes |
  • Colorado
Replied Mar 26 2019, 21:38

I agree with @Sue K - I don't like SS and believe it is headed out -- that is why you can find it so inexpensive in the big box stores now.

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Mar 27 2019, 03:31
Originally posted by @Sharon B.:

I agree with @Sue K - I don't like SS and believe it is headed out -- that is why you can find it so inexpensive in the big box stores now.

Well that was 2 years ago. To me seems like SS is still the standard for high end.