Votes
Mark Smith
  • Schaghticoke, NY
Votes |
Tenant Screening

Mark Smith
  • Schaghticoke, NY
Posted Sep 5 2016, 17:45

Does anyone use a screening service that does not require the tenant's input?  I have the tenant's information, including social security number.  I do not need a service that requires them to register and complete an application, I just need to run background/credit checks.  Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Brendon Woirhaye
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Whittier, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Whittier, CA
Replied Sep 5 2016, 18:24

I use ctcredit.net, but you can probably find a service through your local apartment owner's association as well.

User Stats

Votes
Yvette M.
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
  • Reno, NV
Replied Sep 5 2016, 20:34

I use a service through an apartment association. I can run background reports from my desktop

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Pam Storm
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Sep 6 2016, 07:14

@Mark Smith   Hi Mark

A bit of color on why some sites require the applicant to create an account (like TU and their partners etc) -- to obtain access to credit bureau data, the bureaus require an on site inspection of the premises to ensure legitimacy.  Further, the bureaus charge about $100 and won't generally inspect/allow/pass a residence.  So independent landlords generally use a service (which partners with a bureau) that requires the applicant to register, authenticate with a simple quiz, and provide consent.  This meets all the bureau requirements and helps the independent landlord.

I know a couple good options if you want to PM.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Smith
  • Schaghticoke, NY
Votes |
  • Schaghticoke, NY
Replied Sep 6 2016, 07:21

@Pam Storm that is some great information.  I ended up using Transunion SmartMove which worked out well.  Of course the potential tenant still had to create an account and provide some information, but it seemed pretty easy and it worked out.  I guess I was nervous that the applicant would feel like they were jumping through hoops just to apply, but again it didn't seem like much of a process.  Thank you for your input!

User Stats

Votes
Penny Clark
Pro Member
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Sep 6 2016, 07:37

@Mark Smith, Never feel guilty about requiring your applicants "jump through some hoops" to apply; In the end your wallet will thank you for it.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Smith
  • Schaghticoke, NY
Votes |
  • Schaghticoke, NY
Replied Sep 6 2016, 07:49

@Penny Clark I know!  I keep telling myself that!  This is the first tenant I have found on my own (I purchased a two family in June, one floor was already rented, and have been fixing up the second floor until now).  I'm just getting used to the process :)  

User Stats

Votes
Pam Storm
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Sep 6 2016, 08:03

Glad it worked out.
Where do you plan to get your lease?
Thx

User Stats

Votes
Mark Smith
  • Schaghticoke, NY
Votes |
  • Schaghticoke, NY
Replied Sep 6 2016, 08:11

I'm taking the lease that the first floor tenant signed with the person that sold the property to me, and modifying it for the second floor tenant.  Nothing crazy, just that they will maintain the lawn, get half of the garage, and maybe a couple other items.

User Stats

Votes
Brad Russo
  • Professional
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Professional
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Sep 19 2016, 10:37

Experian is a good one. They provide instant credit reports 24/7.