Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brian Irk
  • Investor
  • Fishers, IN
Votes |
Getting out of PM Contract

Brian Irk
  • Investor
  • Fishers, IN
Posted

Hello BP Friends,

I could use some advice.  My father (who lives in NC) has a rental in my home town (Indy).  Over the last two years, he has been having some problems with the Property Management company.  Prior to this week, the issue have been small i.e. they have nickel and dimed him on several things, they were not following up with potential tenants quickly enough and didn't seem to vet potential tenants to his desire.

This week brought his concern to a whole new level.  When he received a call from the PM company telling him that there was a leak/flood coming from the bathroom with raw sewage.  They told him the tenant was threatening a lawsuit if they couldn't break contract and get their deposit back.

When my father went to the property, the tenants (who happen to be amazing) said that the PM are doing my dad a disservice.  The tenants only wanted out of the house temporarily because of the raw sewage in the house.  They never threatened a lawsuit and told my dad that IF they needed to move out because of the flood, they would like their deposit back.  But most importantly, they told him that that they reported the flood immediately and at the time it was not severe, but they noted with the PM that it was worsening.  It wasn't until they called back 12 hours later that the water had begun to run into the walls/basement.  It wasn't  until then that the PM called a plummer.

So here is my question.  Does my dad have a case to get out of his PM contract?  This company has not seemed willing to allow him to break his contract in the past.  But this seems like complete negligence and also a misrepresentation of facts.  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much for your help!

Brian

Loading replies...