Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Ed B.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Is installing a whirlpool-type bathtub a good idea?

Ed B.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Posted Nov 26 2017, 14:43

I'm rehabbing a single family house in an above average neighborhood, am considering replacing the current standard bathtub to a fancy fiberglass tub with whirlpool jets. Does anyone have experience with this, and will renters pay more for this upgrade? 

thank you

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
ModeratorReplied Nov 26 2017, 14:49

@Ed B.

If you were planning to flip the property and it was a soaker-tub with jets in an en-suite bathroom {i.e. not the primary/sole bathroom in the house}, it may be worth considering.

However, in a rental, it is just something else to clean and repair.  Have you ever noted how scummy the jets look on such tubs in hotel rooms? ... that'll be your rental.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Nov 26 2017, 15:09

No, no , no .  Did I say no ?      Its just another thing to break , leak or replace 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Mark H.
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Nov 26 2017, 15:18
Even in a flip I'm not sure I'd do it. the house I'm in now has a whirlpool tub and even with jetted tub cleaner it is hard to keep clean and we rarely use it (which probably contributes to the difficultly cleaning).

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Nov 26 2017, 15:24

Friends of ours bought a house with a medium size whirlpool tub . The kids used it 4 times till the mom had to clean it . It is in the master bath with a shower .  They want to remove it and build a closet where it was .   

User Stats

Votes
David Niles
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • DeLand FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • DeLand FL
Replied Nov 26 2017, 15:45

Definitely wouldnt in a rental, flip "maybe" depending on how high end it is.  Dont forget most of these style tubs are big and hold a lot of water usually requiring an additional hw tank to supply them. 

User Stats

Votes
Gail K.
  • Augusta, GA
Votes |
  • Augusta, GA
Replied Nov 26 2017, 16:15

Not worth the time and trouble to put one in and clean it.

Had a co-worker friend whose husband decided to put one in in their upstairs masters bathroom.  Had his "$20 plumber" friend help him out.  As they were cutting the studs in the wall to make the larger tub fit, the sawzall slipped and cut right through the water lines.  My co-worker friend (who was about 8 months pregnant) was cooking downstairs when water came flooding through the light fixture, across the floor and into the dining room where they had just placed new laminate flooring.

The "plumber friend" disappeared and my friend and her husband realized the value of owning (which they did not have) a water key to shut the water off at the curb meter.  By the time they found a neighbor with one, the laminate flooring was damaged beyond repair and the bottom of the kitchen cabinets didn't fare so well either.

Gail

User Stats

Votes
Ed B.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 26 2017, 16:21

Good grief! What a horrible story.  That "plumber friend" should have realized those water keys can usually be turned with a pair of pliers or crescent wrench. Most houses have--or should--a shut off valve in addition to the one by the curb meter.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer T.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied Nov 27 2017, 14:52

Back in the days when I was a tenant, I rented a unit that had a whirlpool tub.  We used it a lot and never cleaned the jets, but they never looked dirty.  Was that an oops, lol?

The unit, overall, was higher end and in a desirable neighborhood.  So we were already paying an above average rent.  I did consider the tub a medium-sized perk, during our showing.  Would I have paid extra for it as compared to a similar unit?  Maybe.  But definitely not more than $50/month.