• Investor
  • Salem, MA
Votes |
SSI Disability Income

Rich Thomas
  • Investor
  • Salem, MA
Posted Dec 4 2017, 10:13
Hello, I currently have a rental unit that I am trying to fill and have a few different applications. I have a woman who applied for the apartment whose only source of income is SSI Disability from the government...does anyone else have renters whose income is from SSI disability every month? My only concern is if this income stops for some reason and she no longer has any way to pay the rent...she has told me that her SSI disability is for the rest of her life and it will not stop...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 4 2017, 10:28

If it meets your income requirements (3X rent) there should be no issues. People lose jobs and income all the time.

Make sure you see proof of the income.

User Stats

Votes
Christine Johanns
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied Dec 4 2017, 10:32

My mom had received SSI disability until the day she passed  :(   It paid her rent. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Wade Sikkink
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lincoln, NE
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lincoln, NE
Replied Dec 4 2017, 10:51

We have a tenant that had a traumatic brain injury in an accident and his only source of income is SS disability.  We've had no issues with him.  He always pays on time.  I would agree that as long as they meet the income threshold you set then it wouldn't be a problem.  You certainly wouldn't have to worry about the tenant losing their job and not being able to make the rent.  this particular tenant has been with us for years also, so I would guess that someone like that is probably pretty stable too.  It seems to me that they might be more likely to get set up in a comfortable situation and stay put for a long time.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Shaughnessy
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Spring Valley, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Spring Valley, CA
Replied Dec 4 2017, 11:06

a lot of ppl are under the assumption that it is a life long program. it does get reviewed from time to time depending on age and whatnot. if she is older 55+, its a good chance that it will not stop unless she goes to prison. under that age, and depending on the actual disability, there is a chance that it could be ceased.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle J.
  • Northern, CA
Votes |
  • Northern, CA
Replied Dec 4 2017, 11:11

@Rich Thomas  I count SSI income when determining if a tenant's income qualifies.  SSI disability income can continue indefinitely.  However, just so you're aware, it's not true that SSI disability income is always for life and can never stop.  (I know someone that had theirs stopped.)  Anyway, here's some more info on what could cause it to be stopped:

If I am on Social Security Disability, can I lose my disability benefits at some point?

User Stats

Votes
Rich Thomas
  • Investor
  • Salem, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Salem, MA
Replied Dec 4 2017, 11:17

Thank you all very much for this information. I didnt really know if I could just come out and ask her how much her monthly disability was or not? Obviously I will need to know in order to make sure she can make the monthly rent payments. She has assured me that hers is a lifetime disability I guess the only way of knowing for sure would be to see some type of paperwork for it.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Collins
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Stoneham, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Stoneham, MA
Replied Dec 4 2017, 16:31

Hello Rich, Nice to see another guy from Salem! I grew up there. Yes you can ask the applicant for verification of the SSI Disability income. If they are filling out an application their annual salary should match the estimated amount of the SSI ytd assuming they have no other income streams. In terms of qualifying they should just have to meet your standard guidelines as far qualifying, whatever those might be (3X annual rent, credit score of XXX). What you cannot do is ask what the said disability is.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and this is not intended to be legal advice.

User Stats

Votes
Terry Miller
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Akron, OH
Replied Dec 4 2017, 16:45

Ask to see her latest award letter

(There was a cost-of-living increase that happened, and the notices were just in the mail today (12-04-17), so she even has a few more percent cushion!)

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Dec 4 2017, 17:30

If the SSI stops and they cant pay the rent then you evict them . So why not count it as long as they receive it