• Evansille, WI
Votes |
Move in/Move out Checklist

Kole Kingslien
  • Investor
  • Evansille, WI
Posted Dec 17 2017, 14:12

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions about moving in a tenant. I have my first tenant moving in tomorrow, and have compiled a folder of documents to take with to the lease signing, and was wondering if you guys had any advice about things I may be missing?

So far, this is what the folder contains:

• Lease Agreement
  • Lead Based Paint Disclosure
  • Lead Paint Pamphlet 
  • Move In/Move Out Checklist
  • Renters Insurance Disclosure
  • Security Deposit and First Months Rent Receipt 
  • Non Standard Rental Provisions 
  • Itemized List of Common Security Deposit Deductions with General Prices
  • Getting your Deposit Back Information Sheet with Cleaning Instruction upon Move Out
  • Forwarding Address form (For getting their deposit back)

Also, do the Tenants fill in the Move In checklist by their-selves , and do I fill in the Move Out list by myself? What is the verbiage used in the "condition" section? 

Do I need to define the late fee in the Non Standard Rental Provisions form? What else should I put in this form?

Are their any other documents or information that I may have forgot, or may want to include? 

I know I am probably overthinking this, but I would like to be as organized and prepared as possible, so that going forward I can plug new properties and Tenants into a efficient and effective system.

Also I am in the Beloit Wisconsin area. Any advice is always appreciated! 

Thanks again,

Kole

User Stats

Votes
Bryce Baker
  • Property Manager
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Dec 17 2017, 20:12

You've pretty much nailed the forms! I am not based in Wisconsin, however, so just be sure to double check your state disclosure laws since in California we most likely would need to provide an asbestos disclosure as well if we're giving a lead paint disclosure (built pre-1978/79).

Besides the standard forms a nice touch is to include a small welcome package: a sponge, roll of TP, candy, your business card, and a thank you note welcoming them to their new home. It can only help to retain good tenants :)

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Letourneau
  • Investor
  • Hudson, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hudson, WI
Replied Dec 18 2017, 06:44

I I use the lease from Wisconsin Legal Blank and it includes the late fees right on the lease itself.  

The tenant fills in the move in check-in sheet, but I might put some items in there that I know of ahead of time. For example if I know there's a stain in the carpet in the living room I'll write that down or other things like that.  I also suggest you take a bunch of pictures both before they move in in after they move out. This way you have proof of the condition both before and after.

Other than that your list of forms looks pretty good

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Chad Nagel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fond Du Lac, WI
Votes |
  • Fond Du Lac, WI
Replied Dec 18 2017, 13:39

This may be a touch off topic, But I have been in the rental biz for the last 16 years. (Im 36 years young).  The best thing I have ever done for my biz was to hire a PM after 15 years.  I did not manage my units as well as a professional does.  I know everyone wants to nickle and dime the rentals to squeeze all available profit out. But sometimes you are stepping over dollars to pick up quarters. Is your biz goal to manage a bunch of units or purchase a bunch of units.......

User Stats

Votes
Jim S.
  • Sterman, MI
Votes |
  • Sterman, MI
Replied Dec 18 2017, 14:31

As soon as I sign the lease with the tenant I do a walk through with them and fill out the check in list. We both sign it and we both get a copy.

User Stats

Votes
Kole Kingslien
  • Investor
  • Evansille, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Evansille, WI
Replied Dec 18 2017, 18:11

@Chad Nagel

That is great advice! This is our first rental, and I hope to manage them until we get to about 20-30. I really want to get to understand every part of the business as I scale upward, doing everything myself, until I am comfortable with my understanding of the details and how it works, and then eventually outsourcing it. 

User Stats

Votes
Chad Nagel
  • Fond Du Lac, WI
Votes |
  • Fond Du Lac, WI
Replied Dec 18 2017, 18:27

If I was in your shoes, I'd learn a few things on first one then hire a pm. 20-30 units, your phone will ring non stop and burn you out. You will be putting out fires vs expanding the biz. I managed mine up to 38 units. Learn from others that have cut the checks from their mistakes.

User Stats

Votes
Cara Lonsdale
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Dec 18 2017, 18:33

In AZ the Tenant has 5 days to get the move in inspection to me.  This is good because it gives them time to turn on light switches, test plugs and really find things to report instead of being rushed through with you. 

Equally, I have 14 days after the Tenant returns possession to do the walk through for the move-out.  This is also valuable time as many times it is easy to miss items in a quick walk through.  And believe me...Tenants will try and pull one over on you.

Funny example.... Walked through with a tenant, everything seemed fine.  When I went back to pay the cleaners (we do extra sanitizing after each tenant), the cleaners pointed out that the blinds had been replaced, and were half the size of the original blinds, and didn't reach the bottom of the window.

Another example.... I walked through with a tenant who had just had the carpets cleaned (they were still wet), and all appeared fine.  A few days later when I went back, there were HUGE stains that had resurfaced. 

I am not sure what the timing requirements are in your area, but I would let them complete the move in inspection form (so they can't dispute items to a judge and claim you filled out the form), and I would take my time to evaluate the unit upon their move out to ensure that they aren't leaving me with issues that I didn't notice when quickly walking through.

• Real Estate Agent Arizona (#SA505546000)

Cara Lonsdale, PLLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Cam Coplin
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Dec 20 2017, 11:38

I think you're giving them too much paper, which they'll lose after move in.  I include most of what you list separately in the lease.  Thus lease includes numbered page(s) & paragraphs for most of your items.  As an example:

Lease Agreement - they get copy after all parties initial each page, initial                                          acceptance of all addendum & sign signature pg
Lead Based Paint Disclosure - all sign form after I give them pamphlet &                                                             form is lease page.
Lead Paint Pamphlet - given at lease signing
Move In/Move Out Checklist - mine is a 5+ page unit specific Move In                                                Condition List, I  pre-fill it out before lease signing, at                                          lease signing all do a walk thru & note  exceptions. all                                        renters  initial each page  & sign signature page.  After I                                     sign it is page numbered  part of lease. They have 3 days                                    to send me exceptions in  writing to what was                                                       previously signed.
Renters Insurance Disclosure - a lease paragraph
Security Deposit and First Months Rent Receipt - a lease section
Non Standard Rental Provisions - 3 pages unit specific & part of lease
Itemized List of Common Security Deposit Deductions with General Prices -              never in lease, at move out they are charged what it cost me.
Getting your Deposit Back Information Sheet with Cleaning Instruction upon Move Out - not is lease. After they notify me they get letter referring                                    them to signed move-in condition list
Forwarding Address form (For getting their deposit back) -                                                     In my acceptance  letter of their move-out notification.

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied Dec 21 2017, 07:14

@Kole Kingslien very complete list of documents. Don't forget two folders, one for your originals and one for your tenants copies. Wisconsin Legal Blank has nice folders which you can fill out on the front. A blank folder will do for your tenants (especially if you will use a PM down the road), but if you self manage have vistaprint.com make you some with your name or logo on it. This sounds a bit like overkill, but it sends a very strong message to your tenants: they are renting from a professional company and not from their buddy from down the road.

Playing off Chad's good advice about your phone ringing off the hook: if you self manage get a google voice number, get a PO Box and get a dedicated email. Put all that on your business card and that's all the information your tenants will ever have from you. Train your tenants to email as a default and text you if it's urgent. If a tenant calls me I usually don't pick up and text back to see how I can help. If a phone call is necessary we will schedule a time for that. Most issues can be resolved via email or text. And we do have business hours from 8am to 7pm. Make it a point to never reply after 7pm, as your tenants will learn that you are available 24/7. 

Also know that your property will choose it's tenant, so if you have a nice property you will attract nice tenants and nice tenants are more pleasant to deal with. If you don't hire a PM you will have to be your own PM and that means you have to act like a professional in your own best interest.

User Stats

Votes
Kole Kingslien
  • Investor
  • Evansille, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Evansille, WI
Replied Dec 22 2017, 16:05

Thanks everyone! Truly helpful advice!!!! 

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Lang
  • Savage, MN
Votes |
  • Savage, MN
Replied Jul 30 2019, 08:58

Hi @Kole Kingslien, I also enjoy using Cozy for my rental. It helps to store said forms, make maintenance request to or from tenants, and also collect rent from tenants should they elect this option. My tenants LOVE it as it also helps to build their credit history as well. Best of all it is free (unless you want the funds deposited faster than 7days) 

Best of luck!