• Investor
  • Vincennes, IN
Votes |
Emotional Support Animal and Carries Firearm

Matt B.
  • Investor
  • Vincennes, IN
Posted Mar 8 2018, 08:30

I'm not sure where I am going with this, but what are the thoughts on someone having a need for an emotional support animal(prescribed by psychiatric doctor) and carries a firearm?

I'll say I support the 2nd amendment and I also support someone legally needing an emotional support animal. We follow the ADA and FHA rules on emotional support animals, but this just gives us an uneasy feeling. I'm just not sure you should qualify for both and not exactly sure what to do about it.

User Stats

Votes
John N.
  • Panama City, FL
Votes |
  • Panama City, FL
Replied Mar 8 2018, 11:18

Honestly?  My thoughts are neither are any of your business.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Kerr
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Everywhere, USA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Everywhere, USA
Replied Mar 8 2018, 11:32

Matt B. Is your thought that if they need an ESA they are mentally unfit to own a firearm?

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Carver
  • Webster Groves, MO
Votes |
  • Webster Groves, MO
Replied Mar 8 2018, 11:33

People have support dogs for a variety of reasons.  Some people have them for anxiety and possibly the firearm makes them feel more safe and secure.  I wouldn't see a problem with that; I guess it would depend on what their psychiatric disorder is to determine if there was a dangerous risk of that person carrying a firearm.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Mar 8 2018, 11:41

Emotional support animals are not part of the ADA, and thus you would not be violating the ADA by discriminating against someone with a disability at the federal level. As for FHA & local/state guidelines, those are more fuzzy. Of course, if there's any other reason to reject the application, there you go.