Votes
Niki C.
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
Tenant social security number.

Niki C.
  • Aurora, CO
Posted Apr 11 2018, 06:42

Will you make a copy of tenant social security card when they move in? Because i've heard that you need ssn of the tenant at court for eviction. I make copy of tenants ID but never asked for ssn because they applied through Cozy and filled out all of that to get pulled the credit report and background checks. 

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Douglas Snook
  • Attorney
  • Attleboro, MA
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Attleboro, MA
Replied Apr 18 2018, 09:12

Most people do not have an actual card any longer. I would have a place for it on the application (not the lease) Definitely get a copy of the driver's license, can always read the tenant's writing as to their name! LOLAlso sometimes people use a middle name, with or without the first initial and sometimes there is a junior or senior.

If you go to evict or sue you want to list all the variations. 

User Stats

Votes
Niki C.
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
  • Aurora, CO
Replied Apr 18 2018, 09:48

thanks all for the input!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied Apr 18 2018, 11:12
Originally posted by @Grant Rothenburger:
Originally posted by @Tom Gimer:
Originally posted by @Frank Adams:

I always took the number and would warn them that any uncollected money for damages or past due rent would be reported to the IRS as "forgiven debt". I'd point out that I wouldn't take the time or trouble to get a WORTHLESS judgement against them. I'd just report the forgiven debt to the IRS, because unlike me the never sleep and they never forget. I always collected all my money from anyone who received that speech.

I can't believe I've never heard or seen anyone else say this before. Brilliant!

Which is the brilliant part (a) sending a 1099-C before collection efforts have ended or (b) intimidating the tenant into paying by providing fake paperwork? 

Hmm I think your claims here are based on assumptions. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't see where anything was said about fake paperwork - he sends a 1099-C with how much they owe, and will be reported as income, that's not fake. And to be frank I like sending it "before collection efforts have ended". Saves us time and money. To me, with this strategy, the collection efforts end once I don't have my money in the agreed upon time frame on the lease.

Now I don't know all the legalities of this, and I would consult an attorney before ever doing it. But if it breaks no laws and is just a little harsh to some people, that would not stop me. If it breaks laws, I would not do it, simple as that.

Landlords do not file 1099-C forms. Those are for LENDERS that have forgiven mortgage debt. If he actually files this form with the IRS then he is pursuing debt after it has been forgiven/canceled. If he doesn't file with the IRS then he is sending fake paperwork to tenants in connection with his collection efforts.

Brilliant!

User Stats

Votes
Grant Rothenburger
  • Investor
  • Taylor Mill, KY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Taylor Mill, KY
Replied Apr 18 2018, 11:24

I always took the number and would warn them that any uncollected money for damages or past due rent would be reported to the IRS as "forgiven debt". I'd point out that I wouldn't take the time or trouble to get a WORTHLESS judgement against them. I'd just report the forgiven debt to the IRS, because unlike me the never sleep and they never forget. I always collected all my money from anyone who received that speech.

I can't believe I've never heard or seen anyone else say this before. Brilliant!

Which is the brilliant part (a) sending a 1099-C before collection efforts have ended or (b) intimidating the tenant into paying by providing fake paperwork? 

I don't see where anything was said about fake paperwork - he sends a 1099-C with how much they owe, and will be reported as income, that's not fake. And to be frank I like sending it "before collection efforts have ended". Saves us time and money. To me, with this strategy, the collection efforts end once I don't have my money in the agreed upon time frame on the lease.

Now I don't know all the legalities of this, and I would consult an attorney before ever doing it. But if it breaks no laws and is just a little harsh to some people, that would not stop me. If it breaks laws, I would not do it, simple as that.

Landlords do not file 1099-C forms. Those are for LENDERS that have forgiven mortgage debt. If he actually files this form with the IRS then he is pursuing debt after it has been forgiven/canceled. If he doesn't file with the IRS then he is sending fake paperwork to tenants in connection with his collection efforts.

Brilliant!

No need for the sarcastic tone. I clearly said I don't know the legalities and would consult an attorney before ever doing it. This forum is meant to bring value to people, not mock them. I appreciate the input you have given. And am more than willing to have an actual conversation with you if you are willing to do the same. I'm genuinely curious about this strategy and you seem knowledgeable.

I'm wondering if landlords CAN file 1099-C? You say they do not, is that just typically they do not, but they can? 

Also, and this may be a gray area, but what's wrong with sending that paperwork to the tenant, un-filed with the IRS, under the premise of "this is what you're looking at if you don't pay"? If they pay, tear it up. If they don't, send it to the IRS. This would not be "fake paperwork" just un-filed paperwork with a chance to stay that way if you pay me. 

Again, if this isn't illegal (and I'll restate that I would and recommend anyone else consult an attorney to find out beforehand) I'd do it. Seems more efficient than chasing them through court.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied Apr 18 2018, 16:14

Monumental AccountManager

Brilliant!

No need for the sarcastic tone. I clearly said I don't know the legalities and would consult an attorney before ever doing it. This forum is meant to bring value to people, not mock them. I appreciate the input you have given. And am more than willing to have an actual conversation with you if you are willing to do the same. I'm genuinely curious about this strategy and you seem knowledgeable.

I'm wondering if landlords CAN file 1099-C? You say they do not, is that just typically they do not, but they can? 

Also, and this may be a gray area, but what's wrong with sending that paperwork to the tenant, un-filed with the IRS, under the premise of "this is what you're looking at if you don't pay"? If they pay, tear it up. If they don't, send it to the IRS. This would not be "fake paperwork" just un-filed paperwork with a chance to stay that way if you pay me. 

Again, if this isn't illegal (and I'll restate that I would and recommend anyone else consult an attorney to find out beforehand) I'd do it. Seems more efficient than chasing them through court.

I don't think landlords can file 1099-C forms ... because landlords do not lend money. Mortgage lenders, banks, credit card companies, etc., these folks lend, forgive and file 1099-C.

Landlords don't lend, they enter into contracts. If the tenant breaches, the landlord can pursue damages under the contract. In my opinion there is no debt to forgive under the circumstances being discussed.

User Stats

Votes
Grant Rothenburger
  • Investor
  • Taylor Mill, KY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Taylor Mill, KY
Replied Apr 18 2018, 16:26

@Tom Gimer That would make sense.

User Stats

Votes
Leila J.
  • Professional
  • Browns Mills, NJ
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Browns Mills, NJ
Replied Apr 25 2018, 11:50

Responding to SSN needed by landlord or requested. We are RD 515 program, have space

on application, but request a copy of a Photo and SS card, we copy these and keep in the applicants file. I have had an instance where someone, who worked for a Municipality as a Municipal clerk, used her father's SSN on the app opposed to the actual applicant because the applicant did not have good credit reference and would most likely not have been approved. 

On another note, that "forgiven debt" discussion was very interesting. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 25 2018, 15:42

The court has never requested/required the Tenant's social security number for eviction but maybe your state is different. Cozy should allow you to print the application which would include the social security number. Just be sure you protect the information to avoid any identity theft claims.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Justin L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Jun 21 2018, 17:04
Originally posted by @Patrick M.:

I get the numbers on my .pdf copies I email out. I find that some are more comfortable with this than typing it into a "web-based" form. This is why I like starting out with the paper (.pdf) application and then moving them onto Cozy as they qualify. It also helps to weed through the B.S.'ers and no showers. I would never want a copy of their actual card...

Hi Patrick. Do you have them fill out the cozy application as well? I use Cozy but I don't like that I can't pick what I want on the application and it's hard to tell what areas of it they are leaving blank. I think I need to switch over to paper applications.

Thanks

Justin

User Stats

Votes
Patrick M.
  • Red Bank, NJ
Votes |
  • Red Bank, NJ
Replied Jun 21 2018, 17:08

I guess they do- but I tell them to just it as much information that is needed so they can do the credit/background check. Some have more info than others- but my hard copies are what matters for me.

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Feb 26 2019, 22:19

Not sure if I'm too late to this thread to get a reply, but I'm using Cozy for the application as well, and I'm unclear from previous responses if that means I will ever be able to access the SSN for my tenants who have applied through Cozy. If not, can I ask for the SSN on the Lease Agreement? Is there any reason why that would be problematic? I'm in Seattle, WA, if that matters at all. Thanks, everyone!