Drug bust in one of my units, can I give them the boot?

9 Replies

I have an inherited tenant that was arrested for two counts of delivery of a controlled substance. The police raided the apartment early in the morning on a Saturday. In addition, my triplexes are right across the street from the high school, so there is a drug free zone charge as well. Three felony charges in all. The tenant is still in custody, but her girlfriend remained in the apartment. I want to ask them to leave. They are month to month tenants with no lease. Our lease has a clause in it addressing drugs, however we never signed our lease with these tenants, we just left them as month to month. Can I give them 30 days notice with cause, (the drug charges). Or should I just give them 30 days notice, and say that we need to remodel the unit. (We will in fact do a total remodel when they leave.) This is in Texas, by the way. Thank you!

@David Tiemann

If they are month-2-month can you not simply terminate the lease in your jurisdiction ( i.e. serve them a Notice of Termination now and they will be out by June 30)?

If the tenant is MTM the easiest way to get them out is to send a notice of termination of their tenancy. You don't have to give a reason, just give them appropriate notice.

Give them 30 days notice, in writing. Keep it short and simple:

Dear Tenant, 

We hereby give notice that your lease will terminate on June 30th, 2018. Please ensure the unit is cleaned and returned to us no later than 4:00PM.

Best regards,