General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Marvin Meng
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Edwardsville, IL
Votes |
What countertop do you recommend for a 4-br sfr?

Marvin Meng
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Edwardsville, IL
Posted Sep 20 2018, 13:05

Hi, I'm rehabbing a 4 BR 3 bath sfr that needs new kitchen countertops. I'm tying to determine which countertops will have good durability and also appeal to renters. Suggestions?

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Matt Shields
  • Broker
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Broker
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Sep 20 2018, 13:19

You want what conforms to the neighborhood. It's difficult to get the extra money for solid surface in a Formica neighborhood. Formica can delaminate, or if water gets in a seam the pressboard can bubble. It also burns easily. Granite should be sealed because it is porous and can stain. Marble stains and scratches easily. Tile is another option, but seems to not be as popular anymore as solid surface materials have come down in price. Concrete has caught on recently but can have staining and cracking issues. For durability only, I like quartz. Quartz is non-porous and harder than granite. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Sep 20 2018, 13:26

In Las. Vegas granite can be very cheap. Less than a couple hundred per 8’ section. Average house cost me less than a couple grand including demo and installation. I’ve heard about it being fragile or needing sealing but after 10 years I’ve had zero problems with zero maintenance. Plus a good granite guy can work magic on slabs. (On houses I bought with granite countertops. )

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Cassandra Sifford
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Castle, DE
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Castle, DE
Replied Sep 20 2018, 13:58

Imo you'd have to determine what the neighborhood is doing and what the current condition of the cabinets look like.  I hate to see a nice counter top on some terrible looking cabinets LOL I'm a kitchen and bath designer and look at the overall aesthetic and function. What is currently there and has it weathered years and years of use?  You'd have to figure out will the cost of the counter top provide you with any additional cash flow?  I don't mind a nice looking laminate as the high definition colors and textures look pretty good.  It will burn and scratch if you have careless tenants.  Solid surface can scratch, burn and stain (but most can be buffed out with a Scotchbrite pad).  Granite can be costly depending on the level / grade you choose; should be sealed yearly depending on the kitchens use.  Quartz can also be costly, but maintenance free.  Since it's a stone and can also crack if something heavy is dropped on it.  This all breaks down to if the home and the neighborhood are higher end, go with quartz (if it's in your budget).  If not, go with a laminate that has a stone-like look.

Well wishes :)