Kathrine Pomeroy
Pro Member
Votes |
Swimming pools in rentals?

Kathrine Pomeroy
Pro Member
Posted Oct 3 2018, 18:08

Hi Friends,

What are the pros and cons of having a rental house with a swimming pool?  I know they don't necessarily add value to a house, but do they add value as a rental?  Is the liability not worth it?  Is the upkeep not worth it?  Does landlord or tenant maintain the pool?  Or do you hire a pool service and roll it into the rent?  It is a plus in desert areas like Las Vegas or Phoenix?  

Thank you for your input!

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Oct 3 2018, 18:51

My property manager requires pool service I pay for so it’s “rolled” in to rent in my 2 vegas properties with pools. I don’t think I would go out of my way to buy a pool house but often a house with a pool is the same price as a house without. For people without dogs it adds a purpose to the yard. (We have a pool in our primary only becuase without dogs or kids, rocks or grass both seemed like a waste.)

It doesn’t seem to affect insurance quotes at least here. I have a $3million umbrella for the liability but it covers all properties obviously. Long long story short, I wouldn’t pay extra for a pool property but I also wouldn’t avoid a house with a pool.

User Stats

Votes
Stone Jin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH
Votes |
  • Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH
Replied Oct 4 2018, 09:42

We don't buy rentals with pools just from a liability perspective.  Do point adding more risk.  Also there is a cost of maintaining the pool (pump filter plaster).  You may get a premium in rent but then again you may not.

However if I were to buy a property with a pool, I'd require professional upkeep, either I would hire it out and charge the tenant or ask the tenant for proof that it is being done.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ray Harrell
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Oct 4 2018, 10:08

Pool? What's a Pool?!?

User Stats

Votes
Jason D.
  • St. Petersburg, Fl
Votes |
  • St. Petersburg, Fl
Replied Oct 4 2018, 10:37
@Kathrine Pomeroy there are no "pros" to having a pool in a rental. No, they dont add value, yes, they are a huge liability, and yes they require constant maintenance. If you were buying a 200 unit complex, you could consider it, but for a Single family house, no way

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 2 2024, 09:27

I have been considering adding a swimming pool to one of my vacation rentals. I have and maintain a 60,000 gallon pool at my primary residence. Maintenance is not a big deal but they have to be checked daily for mice, voles, and moles. No one wants to jump in a pool with a dead rodent in the skimmer. And they have to be checked regularly for chlorine and pH level. I maintain two rentals and the pool requires very little attention compared to other issues. We have a competitor who owns a property bordering a major river and they are constantly booked and their rental is nice but not not that nice. All I can think of is the river is a draw for renters. Folks do like to play in the water and that being said I am considering adding a swimming pool. But "the jury is still out". I have not seen any comments from folks who have STR with pools and would be interested in hearing how much use they get from having a pool available for guests.