Rent Reduction for Snow Removal by Tenant?

Rent Reduction for Snow Removal by Tenant?

Rental Property Investor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 51 votes
Yesterday, I came to a verbal agreement with a current tenant of mine for a new 18 month lease at $1400/month. The tenant now has the physical lease to sign, but I have an email from him asking to handle snow removal himself in exchange for a break on rent. Would you let a tenant handle snow removal or should it be a landord responsibility? If so, how much of a break in rent would you offer per month? This driveway is small, only big enough for 2 cars, and serves only this one apartment.
0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

I don't know what kind of home this is or how much snow there is to remove but landscaping and snow removal is generally considered a tenant responsibility on a single-family home.

I don't believe in rent reductions. Charge the full amount for rent and then pay the tenant for the agreed-upon work. In this case, I wouldn't pay them anything because the occupant is expected to shovel snow.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    I don't know what kind of home this is or how much snow there is to remove but landscaping and snow removal is generally considered a tenant responsibility on a single-family home.

    I don't believe in rent reductions. Charge the full amount for rent and then pay the tenant for the agreed-upon work. In this case, I wouldn't pay them anything because the occupant is expected to shovel snow.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    @Nicholas Gray

    You could be liable in back pay by the labor board at some point

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Nicholas Gray snow removal is part of my tenants responsibility

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    If it’s an apartment building, I would keep the rent the same and make a second agreement to pay $xx for snow removal and salting. Add a cancellation clause and what the expectations are (within 4 hours, salt if under 1”, etc). You’ll pay him monthly, etc.

    If they stop doing the job, you want to be able to cancel it and hire a contractor. It also keeps the two activities (rent/snow) separate so you have control and he can’t stop paying rent because it snowed a lot, etc.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    Never give rent reductions. If this is a existing tenant that is renewing continue doing as you have in regard to snow removal.

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I would not give a rent reduction and I would think twice about hiring him as he would then be your employee by federal standards.  You really want to do the workman comp, unemployment, SS, e-verify route for snow removal?  If he gets hurt, do you really want to do his workman comp claim processing?  or his unemployment insurance if he quits?  I have been down that road for live in nannies, and its not a fun pathway.  Needed for a live in nanny with kids, but I'd never go down that pathway just for snow removal.

    I'd hire a company that does that for a business.  

    And if its a single family home, it would be part of his or his and whoever else lives there's responsibility and I would not hire anyone to do it.

  • Member since 2019 · 74 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Rent reduction over all will devalue the place. On paper you'll be renting it for under market value, also you're assuming they actually follow through with it. if they don't you'll have a lease with lower rent on it for no reason. I agree with the above that if you are willing to take on the cost you should pay them for the work completed when completed. Also keeps your rent normal on paper rather than fluctuating all over the place based on an agreement with 1 tenant.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.