• Rental Property Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Adding tenant to lease

Kristopher Tursky
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted Jan 22 2020, 18:31

A tenant would like to add her boyfriend to the lease. I pay trash and sewage. Do I raise rent for the additional tenant? And should I add this person to the lease or simply approve them moving in?

User Stats

Votes
James Galla
  • Attorney
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Akron, OH
Replied Jan 22 2020, 20:25

While I suggest speaking with an attorney for the consequences of simply letting them move in, at the very least, you should screen the new tenant as you would for anyone else.

User Stats

Votes
Sue K.
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jan 22 2020, 21:50

I'd say he has to pass same criteria and fork up an equal deposit (if that amount is legal).  That way, if he's just a bum who wants to live for free or can't qualify somewhere on his own or doesn't have a job or whatever - you'll have screened him out.  I'd put it in writing in a friendly way, but having it in writing gives you documentation in case you need to kick him out.  Like, "Sure, no problem.  He'll just need to apply and be approved with the same criteria as you, and pay a deposit equal to yours.  Please be aware that your lease does say (whatever your lease says about limiting overnight guests for whatever period of time), so if you choose not to go ahead and put him on the lease, he won't be allowed to stay beyond ___________"  

I wouldn't start a new one-year lease, though, in case they end up drama queens.  Month to month agreements are just so much better than long leases, in my experience.  You just never know when relationships might change or crazy relatives move in, etc., and it's just easier to end a month to month tenancy.

If she says she changed her mind, be ready for him to move in anyway and deal with that.

The good news is she's being honest, but this can also be bad news.  It might mean she wants him on the lease because she's afraid he won't pay his share of the rent and she wants him to have to sign a document, hoping it will make him behave.

Maybe it will work out fabulously and he'll turn out to be a great guy.  Just be ready in case he isn't.  Been there many times.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Noto
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Replied Jan 23 2020, 03:48

@Kristopher Tursky You definitely want to put them through the same screening process as the current tenant. If they check out just create a simple addendum adding them to the lease. 

• Real Estate Agent CT (#RES.0799665)

SalCal Real Estate Connections Logo

User Stats

Votes
Billy Smith
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Votes |
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Replied Jan 23 2020, 03:55

When I add a tenant  I do a criminal  back ground check at very  the least .

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Tursky
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jan 23 2020, 05:41

@James Galla I will reach out but it sounds like screening and deposit will be the path forward. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Tursky
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jan 23 2020, 05:42

@Sue K. Great advice, Sue! I thought it was a little weird.

I’ll dig in! Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Tursky
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jan 23 2020, 05:42

@Michael Noto following your advice. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Tursky
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jan 23 2020, 05:43

@Billy Smith thanks for your input!

User Stats

Votes
David Campbell
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 23 2020, 05:49

@Kristopher Tursky

Definitely screen the tenant. Unless you’re charging per room like a sublet, I wouldn’t raise rent but that’s me.

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Tursky
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jan 24 2020, 11:02

@David Campbell noted. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Jan 24 2020, 11:37

Screen him just like a new tenant..... credit and background check......do addendum to lease.....rent stays the same.....deposit now applies to both (doesn't matter who doesnt the damage etc, the $$ gets deducted and they figure out if someone gets paid back or not)

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Jan 24 2020, 11:38

And be prepared that if he doesn't pass, he will probably move in otherwise.....and be perfectly clear with the tenant what will happen if that occurs....

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Ozanick
  • Property Manager
  • Janesville, WI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Janesville, WI
Replied Jan 24 2020, 13:29

If the lease is month to month, you should just draft a new lease and reflect that accordingly. Maybe in the new lease, turn trash and sewage to them, however, one extra person should not raise the bill that much. 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Wong
  • Torrance, CA
Votes |
  • Torrance, CA
Replied Jan 24 2020, 14:00

I had this exact situation happen to me.  Like most everyone said, definitely do a credit/back ground check before you allow anyone on the lease.  I had the same mid set as you, that since there would be an additional person in the unit = wear/tear and I also pay trash/water, so I did in fact raise their rent to offset the cost (which they had no problem with).  

After doing my due diligence, I just created an addendum and added him to the M2M agreement.