Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Alexandro Paredes
  • Belton, MO
Votes |
Tips and advice for first time house hacking.

Alexandro Paredes
  • Belton, MO
Posted Nov 20 2020, 10:49

I have a 3 bed 2 bath in KC that I want to rent out 2 of the 3 beds. What advice can yall give to go about this successfully. I want to work up to renting out the whole house and moving on to the next property and building a strong rental portfolio from there.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Olson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied Nov 20 2020, 19:43
Originally posted by @Alexandro Paredes:

I have a 3 bed 2 bath in KC that I want to rent out 2 of the 3 beds. What advice can yall give to go about this successfully. I want to work up to renting out the whole house and moving on to the next property and building a strong rental portfolio from there.

I have sortof done this in Kansas city. Best advice is to do it...but make sure you have real leases (use cozy.co/apartments.com if you need to) and a roommate agreement that spells out the rules. Have them sign a 6month lease to start. Advertise on hotpads and Facebook. Keep it very simple and fair.Hope that helps. 

Xchange CRE - 1031 Exchange RE Brokerage Logo

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Irish-Jones
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied Nov 20 2020, 20:03

@Alexandro Paredes properly screen your tenants. Get a rental application filled out in addition to a lease.

Screen for (state law permitting) credit, criminal, land lord reference, check pay stubs, check debt and other monthly obligations, etc...

• Real Estate Agent NY (#10401329866)

Irish Jones Realty Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 21 2020, 06:57

Knowing how to screen applicants is the biggest factor in your success. Then make sure you have a good lease and set of rules for renters that make sense, you fully understand and can explain them, and are legal and enforceable. 

Roommate situations can result in a lot of extra drama. Who ate John's leftover pizza? Sally is trashing the kitchen and not cleaning up. Mike keeps burning incense and it's making me sick to my stomach. Jack's guitar buddies are drinking and jamming until 1am almost every night and I'm breaking my lease and demanding my deposit back!

It can be done but do your research and make good choices in Tenant selection.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kristy Farmer
  • Investor
  • Galveston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Galveston, TX
Replied Nov 21 2020, 07:27

@Alexandro Paredes I thought about doing this myself. I’m targeting students. I’d add that I’ve thought about an extra fridge in the garage and putting smart locks on the bedroom.