Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Gibson
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City
Votes |
Need advice for AIRBNB vacation rentals

Hunter Gibson
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City
Posted Jul 1 2022, 20:04

Hey everybody I am new to the area and am looking to buy my first renal property to Airbnb. I would love to learn more about short term rentals. If anybody has any advice I would love to hear it. Also is anybody in the area has properties and currently using Airbnb I would love to take you out to lunch if your in the area.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Jul 1 2022, 23:02

The best advice is to read this forum. Listen to some podcasts. You can learn everything you need to know right here!

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jul 2 2022, 01:22

Read this forum and read a book called short term rental long term wealth 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 2 2022, 04:19
Quote from @Hunter Gibson:

Hey everybody I am new to the area and am looking to buy my first renal property to Airbnb. I would love to learn more about short term rentals. If anybody has any advice I would love to hear it. Also is anybody in the area has properties and currently using Airbnb I would love to take you out to lunch if your in the area.

Use the search function to narrow down the topics you are most interested in. 

You should also get Avery's book.

User Stats

Votes
Gerald Pitts
  • Asheville NC
Votes |
  • Asheville NC
Replied Jul 2 2022, 04:22

There are a few good Facebook groups out there as well. You may find one for your area as a bonus, but there's plenty with good info that applies anywhere.  

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jul 2 2022, 08:10
I had long term rentals, but when I wanted to do the short term houses, I did as suggested above. 
When I found a couple of houses that fit the bill, meaning in an area near me that was also near the beach and (most importantly) were located in an area where STRS were allowed by code, I put them under contact with intention of making them STRs. 

While we made our way through the contract period, I got ready to set up the houses.  I made a file with comments on various topics, such as highly recommended linens, vacuum, mattresses and so forth. I listened non stop to various podcasts on the topic.  I developed a theme and started getting supplies, because I wanted to get set up as soon as possible after closing.

This is an elephant, but you eat it one bite at a time.  Break it down into smaller steps and work on each step.

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jul 2 2022, 11:32

Getting into vacation rentals is not for the faint of heart.

Buying a house to rent out long term is pretty simple. Buy the house, throw a tenant in there on a 12 month lease, and collect a check every month.

With a vacation rental you are getting into the hospitality business. You have constant turnover so you need to deal with frequent cleaning and higher maintenance. Plus you need to ensure your guests are offered all of the creature comforts like cable, internet, toilet paper, coffee, shampoo, etc.

As others have suggested, spend some time getting educated here on the forums, reading books, and listening to podcasts.

When you're ready to make a move, make sure you are mindful of the competition within the sub-market, and the local regulations around short term rentals.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 2 2022, 13:23
Quote from @Kerry Baird:
I had long term rentals, but when I wanted to do the short term houses, I did as suggested above. 
When I found a couple of houses that fit the bill, meaning in an area near me that was also near the beach and (most importantly) were located in an area where STRS were allowed by code, I put them under contact with intention of making them STRs. 

While we made our way through the contract period, I got ready to set up the houses.  I made a file with comments on various topics, such as highly recommended linens, vacuum, mattresses and so forth. I listened non stop to various podcasts on the topic.  I developed a theme and started getting supplies, because I wanted to get set up as soon as possible after closing.

This is an elephant, but you eat it one bite at a time.  Break it down into smaller steps and work on each step.

Sounds like you should write a book as you did all the research and found out the right way to get started. 

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Gibson
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City
Replied Jul 3 2022, 11:37
Quote from @Michael Baum:

The best advice is to read this forum. Listen to some podcasts. You can learn everything you need to know right here!

thanks for the help!

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Gibson
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City
Replied Jul 3 2022, 11:40
Quote from @Kerry Baird:

thanks for the help do you have any podcasts you recommend 

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Gibson
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City
Replied Jul 3 2022, 11:42
Quote from @Scott E.:

Getting into vacation rentals is not for the faint of heart.

Buying a house to rent out long term is pretty simple. Buy the house, throw a tenant in there on a 12 month lease, and collect a check every month.

With a vacation rental you are getting into the hospitality business. You have constant turnover so you need to deal with frequent cleaning and higher maintenance. Plus you need to ensure your guests are offered all of the creature comforts like cable, internet, toilet paper, coffee, shampoo, etc.

As others have suggested, spend some time getting educated here on the forums, reading books, and listening to podcasts.

When you're ready to make a move, make sure you are mindful of the competition within the sub-market, and the local regulations around short term rentals.

thanks again and do you have any podcast recommendations? 

User Stats

Votes
Gerald Pitts
  • Asheville NC
Votes |
  • Asheville NC
Replied Jul 3 2022, 12:51
Quote from @Hunter Gibson:
Quote from @Kerry Baird:

thanks for the help do you have any podcasts you recommend 

Short Term Show

Short term rental secrets

Get Paid for Your Pad

Bigger Pockets

Bigger Pockets Rookie.

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jul 3 2022, 19:37

@John Underwood, it was *your* words from which I was learning!  :D  Thank goodness some of you went ahead.  

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 5 2022, 09:19

Following as I am interested in the same. Are you in Salt Lake? It sounds like you need a license to do this in Salt Lake but it's a bit confusing since I see a lot of airbnb listings that are not in the zoned areas and it says "The City does not currently have regulations or allowances for land use known as “short-term rental.” Currently, the City generally categorizes short-term rentals, such as Airbnb or Vrbo, as hotel, motel, or bed and breakfast uses because the lease period is less than 30 days.".  https://www.slc.gov/planning/f...

Any info on this would be appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Replied Jul 5 2022, 10:35

@Hunter Gibson I'm local to the valley and operate several Airbnbs in other markets.  I'd be happy to throw my 2 cents in the ring as needed.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Street
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 5 2022, 12:51

Hey Hunter - Always willing to connect and talk Airbnb!

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Messinger
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Jul 5 2022, 13:24

Hey @Hunter Gibson

If you ever need help with anything don't hesitate to reach out! 

All the best,

Josh