Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes

Technology in Vacation Rental

Josh Freedenberg
Posted Nov 23 2022, 11:47

As a host, is it recommended to provide apps on the Smart TV with log ins already set up (which would cost monthly fees) or to just have the apps downloaded on the Smart TV whereby the guests would log into their respective apps?  This regarding hulu, netflix, amazon prime video, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Ken Boone
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Nov 23 2022, 12:33

I have all the apps loaded on TCL Roku TVs or Roku Streaming Sticks in my theater setups.  Guest's log in and out with their own logins as needed.  

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Nov 23 2022, 12:40

We don't give out our logins - guests use their own.  But smart TVs in main rooms are critical.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Kormylo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Nov 23 2022, 12:41

I have Roku TVs, all set to Guest Mode. When a guest turns it on for the first time, it asks for their checkout date. They can then sign into their own accounts for channels, and the tv automatically signs them out on noon of their checkout date. 

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Nov 23 2022, 13:08

We do and LOCK it so no purchases can be made through the accounts. It's a small write off and provides another level of service to the guests that come. 

The Elle Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Nov 23 2022, 13:21
Quote from @Ken Boone:

I have all the apps loaded on TCL Roku TVs or Roku Streaming Sticks in my theater setups.  Guest's log in and out with their own logins as needed.  

What Ken said!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 23 2022, 13:27

We have Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ and locked so no purchases can be made without a password

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 24 2022, 05:37
Quote from @Josh Freedenberg:

As a host, is it recommended to provide apps on the Smart TV with log ins already set up (which would cost monthly fees) or to just have the apps downloaded on the Smart TV whereby the guests would log into their respective apps?  This regarding hulu, netflix, amazon prime video, etc.

I think so yes - but also pair it with very CLEAR instructions - which apps are available, which apps/tv is free, which require logins, reminders to log out etc.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 24 2022, 06:24

I have Roku TVs in four rooms and they are in Guest mode. Renter logs into the different apps with their own account and when their lease expires the TV will automatically sign them out of all their accounts so the next guest can't access them. 

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 24 2022, 08:02

Most people will log in on your account. I provide Netflix, Hulu. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Nov 24 2022, 08:04

Guests log in to their own accounts for the particular streaming service.  But for the internet access to a ROKU device, you are limited to 24 devices.  I bought my 25th ROKU tv and can't log in to it.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 24 2022, 12:04

I give my Netflix login to them and it's saved in the tv itself, not a big deal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 24 2022, 19:32
I use smart TV's with the app loaded and let the guest log into their accounts.  So far that has mixed reviews, but I do state in my listing the rooms have smart TV's they can view their streaming accounts on, that I don't provide any streaming log ins.  Some folks don't read it and ding me on it.
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Nov 24 2022, 23:48
Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:

I have Roku TVs, all set to Guest Mode. When a guest turns it on for the first time, it asks for their checkout date. They can then sign into their own accounts for channels, and the tv automatically signs them out on noon of their checkout date. 

Exactly what we do as well. Roku has about 200 free channels anyway, so they always have something to watch. No one yet has complained about having nothing to see; most people have their own streaming services these days. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Nov 27 2022, 00:20

Guest use their own accounts. Roku TV's are the best and easiest to use. Even people who have never used one figure it out fast.