• Portland, ME
Votes |
Books / Audiobooks on Vacation rentals / Airbnb, Vrbo

Forrest Greene
  • Contractor
  • Portland, ME
Posted Jan 27 2020, 10:05

Good afternoon!

I have a plan in place that by June I will be using selectively Airbnb, and Vrbo too short term rent out my house in North Conway New Hampshire. I currently work ten hour days working construction and almost 9 hours of that day I am listening to Podcasts, and Audiobooks all Biggerpockets, realestate related. What is everyone’s recommendations to listen too that way I can be as well educated as possible on the matter before I start. What are everyone’s favorites!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jan 27 2020, 10:41

Podcast #364 with Avery Carl is a good one to start with.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Richard Dale-Mesaros
  • Investor
  • Campton, NH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Campton, NH
Replied Jan 27 2020, 11:10

* Please do double-check with the town of North Conway on their zoning ordinances pertaining to short term rentals where your property is situated, I believe they have been putting some restrictions in place, or discussing doing so!

I love Real Estate Disruptors by Steve Trang, it's all on wholesaling but he's interviewing some super-successful folks and you'll find so many of them have their businesses very well organized and systemized, which is good to take on board with your own stuff. You'll learn a lot about lead generation, too! :)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ken Latchers
  • Hatfield, PA
Votes |
  • Hatfield, PA
Replied Jan 27 2020, 11:45

I did a one night vacation rental near Conway.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Miles
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 27 2020, 12:13
Originally posted by @Richard Dale-Mesaros:

* Please do double-check with the town of North Conway on their zoning ordinances pertaining to short term rentals where your property is situated, I believe they have been putting some restrictions in place, or discussing doing so!

I love Real Estate Disruptors by Steve Trang, it's all on wholesaling but he's interviewing some super-successful folks and you'll find so many of them have their businesses very well organized and systemized, which is good to take on board with your own stuff. You'll learn a lot about lead generation, too! :)

Agree with this. One reason I invest in STRs down south is bc most areas in the southern US are much more open & less restrictive when it comes to STRs. For some reason, a lot of northern towns are FREAKING OUT about having too many STRs & they’re adding a lot of regulations.

Another reason I invest down south is bc of the higher year-round occupancy. Though, if I were gonna invest anywhere in the Northeast, I’d go with Vermont or New Hampshire bc they’re the only legit ski places in the northeast. Not to mention the amazing fall foliage! Anywhere else in the northeast just doesn’t capture enough year-round traffic.

User Stats

Votes
Forrest Greene
  • Contractor
  • Portland, ME
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Portland, ME
Replied Jan 27 2020, 14:13

@Richard Dale-Mesaros They have been trying to enforce some restrictions on The vacation rental scene. specifically targeting Airbnb. I am lucky however because My property is located in Glen which is within Bartlett New Hampshire the current zoning has no restrictions!

I will buy that this week! Thank you very much! I feel organizing and systematizing is the easiest way to streamline pretty much any day today affair currently doing it and most of my personal scheduling as well as professional it’s making life a lot more manageable so it sounds like I’ll enjoy the book! Thank you again!

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jan 27 2020, 16:21
Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

Podcast #364 with Avery Carl is a good one to start with.

I agree this is a great place to start.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jan 27 2020, 16:23
Also Author Beth Carson has a few OK books on the subject.

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Poirier
  • Wrentham, MA
Votes |
  • Wrentham, MA
Replied Jan 28 2020, 05:07

Please look at AirDNA and see how many vacation rentals are currently on the market.  Living close to your destination I have many friends that bought condo's in your location with the idea of renting them when they were not there to help pay for the condo.  EPIC FAIL.  Only those that can truly afford the condo's still own them.  The rest sold them and took a big hit.  BEWARE of the liberals!  They're coming for your guns, your rental property and mostly your checkbook!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Mackey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied Jan 28 2020, 07:28

@Forrest Greene

Vacation Rental Machine

And

Short Term Success Stories

Two great podcasts...and just go for it man. I AirBnB my main house and live in my back ADU. Once you get a few good reviews, superhost status, understand how the guest communication and experience should be, you'll ease right into it. The only thing that sucks for now is the cleaning. We live right behind the place like i said and my wife has scheduled her school schedule around cleaning the unit, but if we were to get multiple Airbnb's we would 100% pay someone.

Just do it.

User Stats

Votes
Sean McDonnell
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Surf City, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Surf City, NC
Replied Jan 28 2020, 07:28

"How to Rent Vacation Properties by Owner" by Christine Karpinski

Not a bad read if you are just getting started in the short term rental game. 

User Stats

Votes
Yankel Raskin
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Jan 29 2020, 18:37

@Forrest Greene
Here are a few Podcasts I found helpful:
1. Jake & Gino with Mike Sjorgen
2. BP 229 with zeona mcintyre
3. Old Dawgs #355 & 357 with Brian Page

the automation techniques can prove to be helpful. Other helpful tips as well

User Stats

Votes
Yankel Raskin
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Jan 29 2020, 18:38

BP #364 was great as well!

User Stats

Votes
Forrest Greene
  • Contractor
  • Portland, ME
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Portland, ME
Replied Jan 30 2020, 06:14

Awesome I had about 8 hours invested into Short term success stories and vacation rental machine!

I also should have explained I am a Journeyman welder and spent anywhere from 5 days a week away from home all the way up to multi week. So sense it’s prime vacation destination and my specific town has no zoning around short term rentals I figured any offset too my expenses will make a difference!

My main goal is to make most of it Automated and just hire house cleaners, snow removal, and have a handy man at the ready!

This won’t be happening for a few more months as I’d like to do some renovations! Thank you everyone for the recommendations I will start taking them all down over the next few weeks! Keep them coming thank you!