• Irvine
Votes |
Do I Need An Architect or Structural Engineer

Julia Tran
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Irvine
Posted Jul 24 2020, 01:20

HI, I want to remodel my three bathrooms and kitchen. The contractor told me to get the plan before he can start work. Do I get quotes from Architect or Structural Engineer? When I asked for quotes of structural engineer, they gave me $5000, $10,000, and $8,000. Which quote is reasonable for Orange County, CA house?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 24 2020, 02:16

Are you making any layout changes or knocking down load bearing walls?  If not architect should be sufficient.

Not familiar with OC pricing.

I’m in Silicon valley, my structural engineer did both my structural calcs and arch drawing for $6500.

Hope that helps.

User Stats

Votes
Dennis Maynard
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 24 2020, 08:53

Get an architect.  they will hire or consult with a structural engineer if necessary.  Architects are ultimately responsible for plans which is why they are the point on development teams.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joe Homs
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Replied Jul 27 2020, 09:36

@Julia Tran you may just need a simple building permit for this type of work.  Like @Yi 

@Yi Chung Chen stated, if your not removing load bearing walls, then a simple permit will work.

Good Investing...

User Stats

Votes
Sonny Vu
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Saratoga, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Saratoga, CA
Replied Jul 28 2020, 18:07

@Julia 

@Julia Tran you don't need a structural engineer or architect for kitchen/bathroom remodels. A designer can do the design for you and the GC will be able to refer a structural engineer if the design affects structure or requires structural engineering. I have contacts in OC if you're interested, dm me.

User Stats

Votes
Vahe Ohannessian
Pro Member
  • Watertown, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Watertown, MA
Replied Jul 31 2020, 15:02

@Julia Tran I agree with @Sonny Vu. I'm an architect myself, and it sounds like you don't need a licensed architect or structural engineer unless you're opening up walls that are load-bearing. Even if you are, an architect may be able to provide a beam size for one wall that needs to be openned up. I do that using software for simple structural design. More complicated structural changes would need a structural engineer. But back to the bottom line, there's a difference between a licensed architect and a designer. For simple jobs, a designer will be much less expensive to get the plans you need for permit. I would take up @Sonny Vu's offer to connect you with his contacts.

• Architect Massachusetts (#50291), Massachusetts (#CS-092503), Massachusetts (#9081557), and Massachusetts (#154287)

• Boston Architects & Builders