Stephen Spradley
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
Obtaining a Colorado Real Estate License

Stephen Spradley
  • Fort Collins, CO
Posted Jan 21 2018, 20:21

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about getting a license on the side while I work and go to school. Would anybody who has one in Colorado recommend it for somebody who wants to get into investing? Also any good resources on the requirements for the state, as well as I good place to do all the pre-license education? Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Matt M.
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 21 2018, 20:50
Originally posted by @Stephen Spradley:

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about getting a license on the side while I work and go to school. Would anybody who has one in Colorado recommend it for somebody who wants to get into investing? Also any good resources on the requirements for the state, as well as I good place to do all the pre-license education? Thanks

What are you going to school for? If it isn't RE, then I wouldn't bother with a license. You won't do enough volume to keep it. AND you won't know enough about the contracts, etc since you won't really be in the business. IF you are going to sell RE beyond yourself, then I'd look into it. 

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Spradley
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
  • Fort Collins, CO
Replied Jan 21 2018, 21:01

@Matt M.

Right now just an Associate of Arts undergrad degree. Which ill be on for another year. Its hard to say after that because I change my mind every other day, but am willing to adjust if I need to. I'm essentially just using college as a second job right now since I'm utilizing my GI bill and am getting paid to go. If I move forward with getting the license and it seems like something I would like, then I would totally be willing to shift my schooling to RE. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find Hard Money Lenders in Colorado! BiggerPockets Lending Directory

User Stats

Votes
Matt M.
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 21 2018, 21:33

Check out the local Keller Williams. See if you can shadow someone. Sometimes they will pay for schooling if you join up with them after. Look for a team to join. 

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Spradley
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
  • Fort Collins, CO
Replied Jan 21 2018, 21:44

@Matt M. Thanks for the advice!

User Stats

Votes
Teri Feeney Styers
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Junction, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Junction, CO
Replied Jan 22 2018, 12:31

@Stephen Spradley I find my license very handy for my flipping business BUT - please factor in that a license is going to cost you $7000-$10,000 every year to keep. Insurance, continuing education, membership fees, desk fees, etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Spradley
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
  • Fort Collins, CO
Replied Jan 22 2018, 17:13

@Teri Feeney Styers If you don't mind me asking, did you get your online or brick and mortar, and what would you recommend? 

User Stats

Votes
Teri Feeney Styers
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Junction, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Junction, CO
Replied Jan 23 2018, 06:34

@Stephen Spradley I chose to do it entirely online - but I gather that is unusual. I already had decades of experience in real estate dealing and was familiar with laws, contracts, etc. If you are a "newbie" you might find a classroom situation helpful where people are asking questions, etc.  But online is certainly a possibility...