Votes
Michael Olivarez
  • Harlingen, TX
Votes |
Looking to get started

Michael Olivarez
  • Harlingen, TX
Posted Jun 22 2017, 06:43
Hi my name is Michael. I am fairly new to BP. I have been listening to the podcasts for a few months now. I have never been more fired up than now about getting into real estate. My goal is to be financially free and I believe real estate is going to get me there. I just need to pull the trigger and get that first property. I am thinking about buying a duplex or 4plex to start. My main obstacle right now is student loan debt. I'm about 2 years away from getting rid of all my student loan debt. Once that is gone then I think the sky is the limit. I am in the south Texas area and in need of a good mentor. Any advice for getting started would be great.

User Stats

Votes
Trexie E.
  • BiggerPockets Support
  • Davao, Davao del Sur
Votes |
  • BiggerPockets Support
  • Davao, Davao del Sur
Replied Jun 22 2017, 06:51

Hi @Michael Olivarez

Welcome aboard! We are happy that you have joined BP! I can't wait for you to get started. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or clarifications. We are always happy to help!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Visaya
  • Audio Engineer and Investor
  • Cebu City, Cebu
Votes |
  • Audio Engineer and Investor
  • Cebu City, Cebu
ModeratorReplied Jun 22 2017, 18:15

Hello @Michael Olivarez, welcome to the site! Here are some good places to start: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet- find and connect with other BP members that are in your area.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts - Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you.
And, of course the
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums - ask any question about real estate!
See you around!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Olivarez
  • Harlingen, TX
Votes |
  • Harlingen, TX
Replied Jun 22 2017, 19:04

Thanks. I looked and there are no meet ups in my area. Furthest south in Texas is San Antonio. I am in the Harlingen - mcallen area.

User Stats

Votes
David Fair
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • McAllen, TX
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • McAllen, TX
Replied Jun 22 2017, 19:41

Michael, there is a REIA club meeting that meets the second Thursday of the month in McAllen. Feel free to contact me to discuss getting started in the Valley if you like.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Olivarez
  • Harlingen, TX
Votes |
  • Harlingen, TX
Replied Jun 22 2017, 20:56

David. That's great. What time are the meetings and where at? I currently work at DHR so I'm in the area most of the time.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Acuna
  • Investor
  • Mission, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mission, TX
Replied Jun 23 2017, 04:04

Michael Olivarez welcome fellow valley native! We do have a reia in McAllen but I have yet to attend: keep in touch and good luck with your goals!

User Stats

Votes
Rick Pozos
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jun 24 2017, 04:37

Hey @Michael Olivarez, welcome to the forums. Even though there is a HUGE amount of information here, sometimes you have to do the leg work yourself. Perfect example: meetings in your area. All it takes is a quick google search: real estate meetings mcallen. I saw there were a couple of groups that meet every month. 

What you need to get started is to start. Start asking people that you know if they know anyone who is behind on their mortgage, behind on taxes or just need to get out of their home. When you find one of those people, you may have a deal. You do not need to pay off student loans to start, that is an excuse. I started right after I got divorced and then got fired. No income, plenty of debt and child support to pay. That is why I started, so that I could do all the things that I wanted to accomplish.

When you find a deal, you can always find someone to partner with you to fund the deal. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Olivarez
  • Harlingen, TX
Votes |
  • Harlingen, TX
Replied Jun 25 2017, 20:29

Thanks Rick. I appreciate the advice. I am going to try and get to those real estate meet ups in McAllen.