Votes
Brian Redfield
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
New in Nashville looking to connect

Brian Redfield
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Mar 22 2018, 11:26

Hello all! My name is Brian and I am a Nashvillian (Nashville, TN). I live in the suburbs and work in the city. My primary career is Supply Chain Management. I am married with one child. I negotiate frequently in my job and the Bigger Pockets episode with Chris Voss brought me here (amazing episode) along with the episode with Seth Mosley, although I had already been on a journey of knowledge for real estate investing. I do not currently own any properties other than my primary residence. I am interested in changing that. I am here to LEARN and connect with those who share this passion for real estate investing. I am NEW and am still gathering knowledge. Looking for knowledge seekers like me and veterans to connect with, especially in the Nashville area. For the first several years of my adulthood I followed Dave Ramsey to a 'T'. I still believe in many of his principles, although I would now associate myself more with the FIRE movement. My portfolio is diversified in many investments, yet not real estate (not even a REIT). While having an equities investment portfolio is nice, it is not guaranteed income. My goal is to supplement current investments with real estate income via long term buy and hold rentals. I'm excited to be here and get involved with this great community.

Cheers to all,

Brian.

User Stats

Votes
Antoine Martel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied Mar 22 2018, 11:59

Welcome to bigger pockets.

I'd recommend listening to all the bigger pockets podcasts. You'll learn a lot through those. 

Let me know if you have any questions about rental properties and investing out of state. I'd love to help.

User Stats

Votes
Luka Milicevic
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Mar 22 2018, 13:05

@Brian Redfield

Welcome to the forums! I'm in the area myself and can help answer any questions you might have.

I am a big Dave Ramsey fan myself and he has a lot of sound knowledge. The only thing to keep in mind is he is geared more towards people that have made really bad decisions with their finances. 

I believe there is a difference between debt and leverage. Debt is buying a boat you can't afford that will suck money out of your pocket. Leverage is buying an asset that someone else will pay down for you. 

• Real Estate Agent Tennessee (#358883)

Middle TN Home Alliance Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brian Redfield
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Mar 22 2018, 13:47

@Luka Milicevic

Thank you, Luka!  I appreciate it.

Absolutely agree.  Dave is doing amazing work.  I have met him twice and been to a live show in Brentwood.  I am debt-averse in general but I do see a difference in buying a boat I cannot afford and leveraging an appreciating asset (of course that appreciation could be non-existent, a la 2008).  Although, on the risk-measurement scale there's no comparison.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Redfield
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Mar 22 2018, 14:51

@Antoine Martel

Thank you, Antoine!  I will be binging the podcast in the coming days.  Hmmm, investing out of state or even out of the Middle Tennessee area scares me but this market is so hot that it may come to that.  Thanks again for reaching out.  

User Stats

Votes
Dave Visaya
  • Audio Engineer and Investor
  • Cebu City, Cebu
Votes |
  • Audio Engineer and Investor
  • Cebu City, Cebu
ModeratorReplied Mar 22 2018, 17:44

Hello @Brian Redfield, welcome to BiggerPockets! Definitely start jumping into the community here and feel free to ask any questions related to Real Estate investing!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Redfield
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Mar 22 2018, 20:28

@Dave Visaya

Hello Dave...thanks for reaching out. I will definitely jump right in and will have plenty of questions!

User Stats

Votes
James Martin
Property Manager
  • Property Management
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Management
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Mar 22 2018, 20:38

Welcome!

User Stats

Votes
Carrie Carlton
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Mar 23 2018, 02:13

There are a few meet up groups locally. Check out REIN and meet up.com.  Also remember to offer a service since you are new. While I don't mind helping out here and there, you are going to make the most meaningful relationships by providing value to an experienced investor.  Can you help with tax strategies?  Help locate deals etc. Maybe something with your negotiation skills?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Redfield
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Mar 23 2018, 07:13

@Carrie Carlton

Thanks Carrie, I will check out the sources you mention.  I am a firm believer that anyone can add value, even if they are a "newbie".  I'm not going to come in here and change the game but I'm putting my jersey on and it is "game on" with the right teammates around me.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Motil
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Mar 23 2018, 07:36

Welcome to BP @Brian Redfield! Good luck in your REI journey!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Redfield
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Mar 23 2018, 07:44

@Matt Motil

Thank you, Matt!  Cheers to you.  Definitely plan to check out your podcast.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Mesaros
  • Investor
  • Gallatin, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Gallatin, TN
Replied Mar 28 2018, 09:32

Welcome on board Brian!!! You are in the right place! 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.