New to investing in the Birmingham market

13 Replies

Hello fellow BP members, 

I am a fairly new investor from Houston, TX but looking to invest in the Birmingham area as well. I've done some research and it seems that there are many things about this market currently that make it favorable for investors. I must say affordability is a big factor as well. I can get a much bigger "bang for my buck" in Birmingham than I can in Houston right now. I'm looking for buy and hold properties and am trying to build a team before rushing in. Being that I am out of state I am looking for recommendations for property management and most importantly an honest and professional contractor or project manager to manage my rehabs. I have heard horror stories about rehabs going bad and must admit it has me a bit apprehensive. Any advice or recommendations that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nefertari

I can also recommend @Rob Drum . In fact, I bought my last purchase based on a tip from him. He's an investor himself so he knows his stuff. He posted some interesting deals recently in the Marketplace too, not sure if those are still available, but be sure to reach out to him.

@Jason Carter @Tae Kim @Mark Byers

Aww thanks guys, your gonna make me blush ;)

@Nefertari McClarity

I'd be happy to talk about our market. Jason and Tae have both had great success here.

I'm working on bringing more wholesale deal-flow to my out of state clients. It sounds like you're planning to use the BRRR strategy here, so that could be really beneficial for you.

If you search my marketplace listings, you can sign up to see what wholesale inventory I come across.

Birmingham has some amazing benefits. The cost of entry is very low. We have several properties we are all in for 20k or so and netting around $500 a door. Plus I have several lenders that can help with the brrr strategy that can help you pull most if not all of your cash out.

@Rob Drum is the best at finding some amazing deals. 

I personally self-manage, but @Mark Byers a rock star when it comes to managing properties and understands Section 8, so you can benefit from Government paid rent - which I highly recommend. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you