• Multi-family Investor
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
New addict from Chicago, IL

Ryan Halverson
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Alpharetta, GA
Posted Feb 14 2013, 19:27

Hey everyone, I have been lurking for awhile but decided to post and get more in depth help from the community. I have been learning a lot from formulas to recommended furnishings, the community is awesome and I look forward to learning/contributing more.

As you can tell from my picture I am prior US Air Force, served 4 years and moved to Chicago with my wonderful fiance last year. I am an IT professional for now with ambitions to move into real estate. We are looking to purchase a multi plex and would like to set ourselves up for wealth 15+ years from now.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH
Replied Feb 14 2013, 19:30

Hey Ryan Halverson,

Thanks for introducing yourself, and thank you for your service. Stay active.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Halverson
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Feb 14 2013, 19:33

Hey Ben Leybovich, thanks for the support. I was actually stationed a stones throw from you, I was at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton last year (did all 4 years there)

Been up to the Kewpee burger joint in Lima a couple times.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Feb 14 2013, 20:16

Welcome to the site, Ryan Halverson! We appreciate having you here. There are a ton of military folks here to network with along with the rest of the community. Definitely jump in and get involved!

User Stats

Votes
Carolina E.
  • Investor
  • NW Indiana
Votes |
  • Investor
  • NW Indiana
Replied Feb 14 2013, 20:51

Welcome Ryan Halverson! I too am from Chicagoland area. Hope you find what you need here.

User Stats

Votes
James Vermillion
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Feb 15 2013, 06:01

Welcome to BP Ryan...I have to get my daily fix(es) as well. I too am an Air Force Vet. I served 4 years as a Maintenance Officer and separated this summer to pursue some other opportunities including being closer to my investing market. Good luck to you!

User Stats

Votes
Doug Perry
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 15 2013, 08:47

Hi Ryan, welcome to Chicago! I applaud your decision to invest in multi-family property. Re: prices, we're at the bottom of the trough, so now is a good time to buy. Have you connected with any of the local investment groups?

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Feb 15 2013, 08:52

Welcome to BiggerPockets, Ryan. I'm in IT, too. There are a good number of techies at BP.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Halverson
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Feb 15 2013, 08:55

Doug Perry I have not connected with a local investor yet, my MFU would be small as the move here and other expenses dismantled my savings, plus I would like to start small on my first property.

Hey Jon Klaus, good to hear. The analytical mindset of IT people probably does well in REI.

User Stats

Votes
Doug Perry
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 15 2013, 09:36

@Ryan Halverson, nothing wrong with starting small...base hits win games too! To learn more and network with like-minded people, you might want to check out Chicago Creative Investors Association: http://www.ccia-info.com/

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 15 2013, 09:47

Ryan Halverson - Welcome. I am a fellow Chicagoan and Fellow Air Force Veteran. Welcome to BP. I suggest you get educated on the Chicago market. As we all know, the first rule of real estate is Location, Location, Location. So educate yourself before you buy.

Attend REI Groups locally. Lots of information, not just from the presentations, but be sure to engage with and network with other investors in the area.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Halverson
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Multi-family Investor
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Feb 15 2013, 09:56

Doug Perry *********** Thanks for all the support and info! Look forward to my time here.