Skip to content
New Jersey Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Buck
Votes |
Should I rent out or sell condo in Northern NJ?

Kevin Buck
Posted Nov 15 2018, 08:47

First discussion!!!!! Yay!!!!!

I am not a real estate investor (yet). 

Id like to start a conversation debating whether to hold an already owned property and rent it out versus selling. I will post the numbers when i get them (im literally asking for a friend). 

I have suggested he rent it out. He is looking to move in with his SigO but is concerned his rent wont cover mortgage/expenses. Without knowing the details. I believe he bought at an inflated price back around mid-late 2000's. 

Also please recommend specific podcasts or blogs that discuss this as well, if you please.  

Thanks,

-kevin

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Nov 15 2018, 08:48

Your friend should reach out to @Darren Sager. He is an investor and agent in North Jersey. He could give you a good idea of whether it is worth keeping the unit.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Hill
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Westwood, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Westwood, NJ
Replied Nov 15 2018, 09:15

It will all come down to the numbers. Need those to be able to get an accurate opinion on whether to sell or rent it out.

Escape From New Jersey Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jason Lee
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Replied Nov 15 2018, 11:37

It all depends on the specific numbers, age of the condo, the specific city/town. Even if the rent covers the carrying costs he could still get crushed taking into account vacancy and future capital improvements/special assessments.

User Stats

Votes
Vaughn Smith
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Replied Nov 15 2018, 14:36

@Kevin Buck As others have said we would need more info in order to properly assist you, but, your friend should look into the rules of the HOA first to see if the property can be rented (if he hasn't already).

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Buck
Votes |
Replied Nov 15 2018, 14:52

Thank you all for your responses.  I knew not having the data/numbers would limit the conversation.

I appreciate you taking the time; once I know more, you will know more.

-kevin