Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Drew Werth
Votes |
Young Investor trying to get experience

Drew Werth
Posted Feb 7 2024, 13:44

I’m a aspiring investor. I’ve read around 20-30 finance books within the past year and I decided I want to become a real estate investor. The thing is the books can only get me so far. How would I go about getting experience at 14? I want to see how an investor would go about finding a deal, checking the after repair value, seeing if there is any issues, and finding good tenants.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 7 2024, 15:40

whew 14 years old? you’re on the right track. just hang around this website & when you’re old enough go ahead & pay for membership at ur local real estate investor group in ur city- every city has one. google it. whatever you do start saving mad cash & get good credit. work hard, save the money & house hack. get a 2-4 multiple fam when you graduate high school with ur saved cash & good credit. 

User Stats

Votes
Logan Laperriere
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Feb 8 2024, 07:18

Hey Drew, 

Congrats on starting your real estate investing journey at such a young age. I recommend that you continue to read as many real estate related books as you can, start attending local meet ups and network with local investors. Save up as much money as you can until you are 18 and buy your first property. I agree with Twannisha house hacking is a fantastic way to start investing.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nick Belsky
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Votes |
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Replied Feb 8 2024, 07:25

@Drew Werth

Kudos to you!  As others have suggested, keep researching, reading, and even meet up with someone you know (friend or family member) that invests to see if they will let you shadow them through a deal or two.  Have them take you through the whole financial process to see how they determine the metrics and how they assess projects.  If you can find more than one person who will do this, that would be even better.  One thing I've learned over my life, is that I can see different people do the same thing very differently, but learn from them all.  

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sheeks
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 8 2024, 11:49

My advice would be to read the Bigger Pockets’ book First to a Million (and the workbook). It’s written for young aspiring investors just like you.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Feb 9 2024, 09:44

@Drew Werth

It is remarkable that at such a young age, you are considering real estate investment! You may still take important efforts to expand your expertise and knowledge in the real estate market, even when your age may prevent you from engaging in some activities. Aspiring 14-year-old investors can consider the following recommendations:

Never stop learning. Observe live webinars, workshops, or seminars about real estate in your area. There are excellent resources for new users on platforms such as BiggerPockets.

Get more information by reading books and taking online courses about real estate. Read up on the fundamentals of property valuation, tenant management, and transaction analysis.

Join in networking events or local real estate meetups. Speaking with and networking with seasoned investors can yield insightful information, even if you are unable to actively participate in transactions.

Seek for seasoned real estate investors for mentoring. Many prosperous investors are eager to impart their wisdom to aspirant investors. Seek for mentors in your area or participate in internet forums to network with seasoned investors.

Keep in mind that developing competence takes time, and by demonstrating curiosity at an early age, you've already made great progress. As you advance, you can come across chances to take an active role in real estate transactions after you reach legal adulthood. Maintain your curiosity, keep expanding your knowledge base, and look for networking and learning opportunities. You will benefit much in the future from the knowledge and abilities you acquire today.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Werth
Votes |
Replied Feb 29 2024, 15:06
Quote from @Dan Sheeks:

My advice would be to read the Bigger Pockets’ book First to a Million (and the workbook). It’s written for young aspiring investors just like you.

I’ve actually read that! It was the book that got me into reading more lol.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sheeks
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 29 2024, 15:16

Glad you read the book! Just sent you a DM about a Zoom meeting this Sunday.