• Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Repainting a metal fence?

Nat C.
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Posted Nov 26 2015, 23:26
I bought a property with a very solid and secure 8 ft high fence. I'd estimate is under 80 ft wide. We are currently in rehab stage. Only cosmetic work is needed on this one. The fence is around 5 years old. The black paint is chipping off and there is rust in some places. I know the proper way to fix it. All the paint needs to be scraped off, the metal cleaned down and a primer applied. Then a fresh coat of paint applied. We are really pressed for time here and I'm thinking of just spray painting over the exiting surface with a high quality, rust resistant spray paint. Do any contractors know how long it will last and if I'm just being foolish cutting corners? I'm struggling to make a decision on this one.

User Stats

Votes
Wayne V.
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Nov 27 2015, 04:37

Hi Nat,

Rustoleum makes primers for light rust and for heavy rust. I would go over the fence with a very stiff bristled brush, and apply the appropriate primer followed with a Rustoleum top coat. 

Good Luck !!

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Nov 27 2015, 04:56

At least scrape/sand the rusted and chipping paint spots first.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Manolo D.#3 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 27 2015, 09:41

Just hire a sand blaster and painter, removes all paint and rust up to 1/4" without missing anything, prime and paint with roller or spray. Sand blasters are cheap, takes like 30 mins for that fence.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Hannibal
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Peterburg FL and Omaha, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Peterburg FL and Omaha, NE
Replied Nov 28 2015, 10:03

Sherwin Williams makes a good primer for metal with light rust called Pro-Cryl Primer. It is water based and very easy to apply. Then use their top coat of Sher-Cryl to paint it   Sher-Cryl is also a water based paint and easy to apply. The primer and paint are not cheap, but if time is a factor, you can paint you fence without the sand blasting and sanding. Just scrape it and wire brush any heavy rust and it's ready to prime and paint.

You will get many years out of this system. 

User Stats

Votes
David Pitman
  • Professional
  • Tampa Bay , FL
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Tampa Bay , FL
Replied Nov 28 2015, 10:11

You can try a power washer first to remove most, if not all, chipping paint....then wire brush, Then use a paint called "DTM" ....short for "direct to metal"    You can get it at Sherwin Williams

Cheers