• San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Newbie OOS investor to Kansas City

Evan Chen
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Nov 4 2020, 00:59

Hey all,

My name is Evan. I'm 28 and I live in San Francisco, California. Due to high prices in the Bay Area, I’ve decided to try OOS investing. I’ve set my eyes on Kansas City because I’ve heard that it’s a good place for cash flow. I plan on visiting sometime in January/February and am targeting single family homes in A or B neighborhoods. From my research, it looks like Waldo, Parkville, South Kansas City, Raytown, Grandville, and Independence are good areas. 
I would love to chat/connect with folks to learn more and am open to any suggestions!

User Stats

Votes
Steven May
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Nov 4 2020, 02:26

Evan, 

Welcome to Kc forums! I can tell you have done your research - You have chosen some great sub markets in the Kc area. I currently am working with OOS investors submitting offers on single family and small multi family in those markets. Let’s chat! 

User Stats

Votes
Brianna Reynolds
  • Property Manager
  • Kansas City
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Kansas City
Replied Nov 4 2020, 09:04
Originally posted by @Evan Chen:

Hey all,

My name is Evan. I'm 28 and I live in San Francisco, California. Due to high prices in the Bay Area, I’ve decided to try OOS investing. I’ve set my eyes on Kansas City because I’ve heard that it’s a good place for cash flow. I plan on visiting sometime in January/February and am targeting single family homes in A or B neighborhoods. From my research, it looks like Waldo, Parkville, South Kansas City, Raytown, Grandville, and Independence are good areas. 
I would love to chat/connect with folks to learn more and am open to any suggestions!

Welcome to BP! It sounds like you've done your research on the area, the only area I would add is Gladstone. The property management company I am with has several investments there and they do really well. We do have properties in the others as well from OOS investors. So my inbox is always open if you need any additional information I'd love to help!

This list by James Wise is also an excellent resource if you haven't seen it yet.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/4704/88461-the-ultimate-guide-to-grading-kansas-city-missouri-neighborhoods

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Oh
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Nov 4 2020, 09:53

Raytown, Independence, South KC, and Grandview are great markets to target. Just beware, the closer you get to the inner city, the lower the neighborhood quality you tend to get.

User Stats

Votes
Jin Lim
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Washington DC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Washington DC
Replied Nov 4 2020, 11:11

Welcome, Evan!

I’m also a newer OOS investor in the KCMO market. I’m working with a more experienced partner and we took down our first deal together!

Feel free to connect and ask any questions. I could always ask my partner if there is something I don’t know.

User Stats

Votes
Kwame Amoako
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 4 2020, 11:17

Hey Evan! 

You should look into Columbus, Ohio we have great cash flow and appreciation. Plus, we have a lot of major developments happening in and around Columbus. I know a lot of investors here that are doing very well, many out of state investors as well. Best of luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 4 2020, 12:54

Hey all,

I started investing in Columbus, Ohio 3 years ago. I highly recommend it.

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Evan Chen
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Nov 5 2020, 17:48

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Does anyone have any suggestions for property management companies and lenders in KCMO?

User Stats

Votes
Yonas Tekeste
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago IL, United States
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago IL, United States
Replied Nov 8 2020, 16:16

Hi Evan! I am also 28 and live close to the bay area. I am planning on buying a  property in the KCMO area as well. I would be happy to connect and network!

User Stats

Votes
Zeke Liston
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 10 2020, 12:12

Hey all,

That's great Evan, I've heard some good things about Kansas City. I would also check out Columbus, OH. 

User Stats

Votes
Kim Tucker
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Nov 11 2020, 04:58

@Evan Chen I have a house located in Kansas City MO with Park Hill Schools. In the subdivision agents say their house is either in KC which it is, Park Hill or Parkville. So hits one of your area boxes. There are also not a lot of single family rentals on the market in the area so it should tent quickly. And while it has a small country feel, it's right off a highway with easy downtown or airport access.

I think you have picked some great areas for consideratiom.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Nov 11 2020, 06:18

It depends what you mean by South KC, but I would avoid Ruskin in general. Raytown is solid but not great. Independence really depends. Preferably, you want to be east of Noland and south of 23rd (or even further east). Waldo is good but some people call east of Troost Waldo and it is not. Parkville is good. So is Gladstone and most of the "northlands" (Clay and Platte County north of the river in Missouri) if you want to buy up there.

User Stats

Votes
Rick Hamrick
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Olathe, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Olathe, KS
Replied Nov 27 2020, 09:50

@Evan Chen active in the KC market and happy to share insights.  Kim, Jonathan and Andrew provide some good insights. 

User Stats

Votes
Suzanne Player
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York City / Long Island, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Apr 27 2021, 11:21

Hi Evon

Welcome to BP.  I am hosting a group that will be discussing specifically the Kansas City, MO, area along with some other markets.  You can check out our page on BP at: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...  for details.  

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Morrow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Apr 28 2021, 04:50

Evan, the Kansas City and surrounding areas are seeing a rise in prices, but not as over-inflated as many regions in the US. I tend to direct my investor clients to areas with good school districts and employment opportunities such as Parkville, Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Raytown, and certain regions of Independence. Let's stay in touch! I will send you info on investor meetups when you come to visit.

User Stats

Votes
Suzanne Player
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Apr 29 2021, 08:45

I should have added that this page contains a more detailed description of the event (we're not just talking about the Kansas City, MO market): https://www.meetup.com/real-estate-rocks-investing-group/

User Stats

Votes
Matt K.
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied May 2 2021, 22:52

Those areas are all very diffent, narrow down and your search and better define your criteria. You'll want to become an expert and do your own research because there's a ton of "marketing" out there that's not really accurate...

Once you better define what you're looking for really dig into the rents and get a feel for what goes fast and what sits (you'll see it relisted often).

Also know you're up against a ton of competition, find something that sets you apart and maximize your offers off that.