First time to Memphis

9 Replies

I represent a group of international investors who focus on US real estate. My partner and I will be visiting Memphis for the first time next week. Besides getting some legendary BBQ in town, we plan to visit a couple of large wholesalers in town. Besides that, can anyone recommend folks we can meet to understand the local market better (RE pros, accountants, lawyers, etc.)? 

Very excited about the trip!

When you say wholesalers do you mean Turnkey companies? To me it does not seem to make sense to work with wholesalers if you are not familiar with the local market. 

Let me know if you want to meet up, even for coffee or a short meet up at my office.

Curt Davis, Real Estate Agent in TN (#00321765)
605-310-7929
Originally posted by @Steve Wang :

I represent a group of international investors who focus on US real estate. My partner and I will be visiting Memphis for the first time next week. Besides getting some legendary BBQ in town, we plan to visit a couple of large wholesalers in town. Besides that, can anyone recommend folks we can meet to understand the local market better (RE pros, accountants, lawyers, etc.)? 

Very excited about the trip!

I would try to grab a few minutes with @David Hutson before you make your trip.  I believe he is in California as well and if I'm not mistaken, he buys remotely using a team.  He may have bought Turnkey and then moved to building his own team, I'm not 100% sure of the exact path he took, I just know he is in California and has built a portfolio here.  

You should also meet with @Elizabeth Wilson .  She is active in the Memphis market and connects with investors to wholesale deals and can help introduce you to a few people.  Those are good connections that probably are not going to try and sell you something right off the bat. 

Thanks for the kind words, @Chris Clothier

@Steve Wang - Awesome! Welcome to Memphis!   As far as recs go, I actually think your best bet to get to know the local market would be spend time driving the city rather than talking with accountants/lawyers.   I saw from your profile that you are looking for Turnkeys; I'm sure any of the TK providers  in town would be more than happy to show you around and/or give you ideas of where to go.  You already have contact with two of them (@Curt Davis and @Chris Clothier) in this thread!

Also I saw from your profile that you are interested in multifamily. Depending on when you all will be here there is multifamily REI meetup at lunch on Wednesday. There are a full range of folks who go from those interested, those who own and those who want to get out. You'd get to know some of the areas of town just by talking with them. p://mig.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=87&club_id=760095&item_id=737431

If you have any other specific Memphis questions, let me know!  Hope you have a great visit!

Originally posted by @Curt Davis :

When you say wholesalers do you mean Turnkey companies? To me it does not seem to make sense to work with wholesalers if you are not familiar with the local market. 

Let me know if you want to meet up, even for coffee or a short meet up at my office.

Thank you, Curt. I'd love to sit down and pick your brain. Just DM'ed you. 

Originally posted by @Chris Clothier :

Thank you for your recommendation, Chris! I look forward to connecting with them. 

@Steve Wang , I'm flying down into Irvine tomorrow for work.  If you want to meet up or talk while I'm down there send me a message.  Same goes for anyone else in the Sacramento or L.A. area.  Always looking to meet other investors and discuss investing.

Originally posted by @David Hutson :

@Steve Wang, I'm flying down into Irvine tomorrow for work.  If you want to meet up or talk while I'm down there send me a message.  Same goes for anyone else in the Sacramento or L.A. area.  Always looking to meet other investors and discuss investing.

Hi David, that would be great. I will DM you privately for a time to meet. Thank you. 

David connectioned me w/my rental in memphis, or to the company that does them there..2.5yrs ago. I still have that rental and its been performing great and the PM company is also really good. Every year my accountant looks at it and says "How much did you pay? how much do you get in rent? Any repairs?..hmm thats pretty good"....

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.