New foreign investor here!

47 Replies

Hey guys,

I'm a foreign investor from New Zealand who just recently signed up for BiggerPockets.  I'm mostly looking in the Florida area as I'm somewhat familiar, so I'm taking this chance to reach out to other investors on here working in the US market. 

Hi Nick, Welcome to BP.  I'm an Aussie investor from the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. I invest in Phoenix and sometimes Texas. Good luck with your investing in Florida. If you have any questions just contact me. Cheers,

Curious on whats risk profile about managing a property from that far ? People are skeptical of going out of state or even out of town and here we are talking about thousands of miles away

This post has been removed.

Hi Nick - welcome to BP.  I am a Naples, FL based investor, but have invested in several parts of Florida (Tampa, Panama City, Cape Coral, Naples) and Massachusetts.  I may soon be in your shoes as my wife and I are considering a move to Melbourne, Australia.  We were just discussing how to best engage with the right people on the ground in Melbourne.  Haven't yet researched it, but assume a BP or BP like forum in Australia exists.  Let me know how I can help here in the States.

Originally posted by @Haseeb Awan :

Curious on whats risk profile about managing a property from that far ? People are skeptical of going out of state or even out of town and here we are talking about thousands of miles away

For a bit of context, I travel for 8 months of the year due to my line of work. I've long accepted that I won't be anywhere near my properties for some time. So long you have good local partners, it's entirely manageable. 

The attraction of NZ Haseeb is that our homes double in value every 10 years. Actually every 7.8 years on average.  We don;t get houses trashed, our vacancy in main centres is virtually zero and the landlord laws are very robust. America is a crap shoot in comparison.

The downside is that our yields are now down below 5% and average house price in the biggest city is a million dollars!

Originally posted by @Dean Letfus :

The attraction of NZ Haseeb is that our homes double in value every 10 years. Actually every 7.8 years on average.  We don;t get houses trashed, our vacancy in main centres is virtually zero and the landlord laws are very robust. America is a crap shoot in comparison.

The downside is that our yields are now down below 5% and average house price in the biggest city is a million dollars!

For the main centres that's certainty true, although from Hawkes Bay where I'm from, it's not as fantastic as that unfortunately! 

Originally posted by @Zachary C. :

Hey @Nick Fazakerley,

Welcome to BP. Whats your familiarity with Florida? Have you ever vacationed there or anything like that?

I've had associates of mine invest over there, as well as having some business partners on the ground there already, so I have some existing familiarity with the area along with independent people I can call on for advice.

Otherwise not any particular calling! Numbers seem to make sense there however comparatively. If I get a better deal though, I'm open to other options.

Welcome NIck, I recently joined BP too. I am from Melbourne. Florida, that is.

I am an investor/real estate agent. It sounds like you need a truly passive investment. Maybe a NNN commercial lease type deal or a residential investment with a good property manager. The Space Coast/Brevard County in Central Florida is interesting because of the businesses expanding and moving into the area. Let me know if you have any questions.

@Nick F. ,

I've never invested in the area personally, but from what I've heard from some friends that have location is a big part. Specifically they told me some examples on property taxes and the range between some was massive. Good luck with it. 

John, It depends on where you are looking in the Space Coast and Treasure Coast. In general, Space Coast properties are more affordable in my experience. As for investments, you can find good deals in both areas if you find off-market properties or act quickly to new MLS listings.

Hi Nick,  I too recently joined BP and boy is there ever a mountain of information on here, thank you BP.  I too am an investor/realtor based in Kissimmee, on the doorstep of all things theme parks.  What you invest in and where primarily depends on what you want to achieve.  Are you looking for commercial or residential, flips or buy and hold, multi-family, condo's or single family, long term rentals or short term rentals?  Decisions, decisions, decisions if I can be of any help let me know.

Hi @Nick F. , welcome to BP. I am also investing in certain areas of Florida. I'm in South Florida but offer on anything from central (Brevard County) to south (Miami-Dade County) FL. If you need anything in the area feel free to reach out, good luck!

Originally posted by @Zachary C. :

@Nick Fazakerley,

I've never invested in the area personally, but from what I've heard from some friends that have location is a big part. Specifically they told me some examples on property taxes and the range between some was massive. Good luck with it. 

Yeah it can certainly vary a lot. These days it's one of the first things I look for! 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here