• Rental Property Investor
  • Lynchburg, VA
Votes |
Is anyone in the central Virginia area?

Preston Quinn
  • Lynchburg, VA
Posted Aug 9 2018, 02:34
Hey guys, I have been searching for properties here in Cental VA for quite some time now. Haven’t had much luck lately. I am starting to look about an hour away. Is anyone investing in central VA. I’d like to connect with someone to talk about other possible locations to invest.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Harris
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Aug 9 2018, 07:41

Preston,  Central Va. covers a lot of area. Can you give us cities and or zip codes of areas you are interested in?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Preston Quinn
  • Lynchburg, VA
Votes |
  • Lynchburg, VA
Replied Aug 9 2018, 10:04
@Jesse Harris. Hey Jesse, I’m in Lynchburg. But looking to go towards Danville or Roanoke or Charlottesville to start looking. Just not sure where NOT to look. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Amy H.
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Aug 9 2018, 12:11

@Preston Quinn I would personally stay away from Danville. I have family from there and some that still resides there. Their economy isn't strong, unemployment is high, and drug use is prevalent. You could make a decent profit because the house prices are so low; however, you could end up spending a fortune on eviction fees, repairs after a tenant move out, etc. because the type of tenants you would be renting to. I personally wouldn't risk my money out that way, but it's all about balancing risk and reward and what you are comfortable with!

User Stats

Votes
Preston Quinn
  • Lynchburg, VA
Votes |
  • Lynchburg, VA
Replied Aug 9 2018, 13:41

Thank you. I constantly hear about violence in Danville. But, then again, I hear about a lot of violence in lynchburg as well. There are certain areas I will invest in in lynchburg and certain areas I won’t. I find it hard to believe that all of Danville is a bad investment. I’m sure Richmond is the same way. I need to know what areas are the problem areas to narrow my searches down. 

User Stats

Votes
Angelo Argentieri
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Aug 13 2018, 07:18

Hello @Amy H. I am here in Richmond and buy properties for cash. Good pickings nowadays if you can find create a reliable source of leads from the network connections down here. 

User Stats

Votes
Amy H.
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Aug 14 2018, 05:03

@Angelo Argentieri actually @Preston Quinn was asking about good areas to invest in Danville. That's what my comment was about, not Richmond.

User Stats

Votes
Angelo Argentieri
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Aug 14 2018, 05:36
@Amy Herzing I was replying to you initial post. Just introducing myself down here in VA : )

User Stats

Votes
Bobby Montagne
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Aug 14 2018, 07:58

Hi @Preston Quinn, we've seen some great investments in the Richmond area. Quite a few of our borrowers have had successful flips in and around Richmond, Charlottesville, and Roanoke. If you're willing to expand your area, head out to the Tidewater region and there are some great opportunities in the Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach areas.

User Stats

Votes
Preston Quinn
  • Lynchburg, VA
Votes |
  • Lynchburg, VA
Replied Aug 14 2018, 08:52

Ok. Thanks for that Bobby!  I’ll start looking there. Message me. I’d like to hear about financing options in your area. Always looking for new strategies. 

Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Kastelberg
  • Real Estate Technology
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Technology
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Aug 14 2018, 09:21

@Preston Quinn

Preston: My firm invests in both Richmond and Tidewater/Norfolk. Richmond is one of the strongest markets in the state, driven by VCU's expansion over the past 10 years and a trickle of new employers. A few pros and cons:

Pros: Great management companies, stable employment, strong occupancy

Cons: Valuations are very high, lots of supply coming to the market in Manchester/Scott's Addition areas

Hampton Roads/Norfolk is a good market but is very neighborhood dependent. Asset valuations are lower than Richmond, but you'll struggle to find a competent offsite property manager (for less than 80 units). 

Pros: Higher cash on cash returns possible, relatively low barrier to entry with sales around $50k-$60k/door for stabilized product

Cons: Very difficult to find a good manager, mostly Class C assets, lower occupancy than other parts of the state

Best of luck to you!

User Stats

Votes
Christian Drake
  • Virginia
Votes |
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 14 2018, 11:06

Afternoon! Just introducing myself as someone who is in the Hampton Roads market. Looking for any potential BRRR residential properties (Single or Multi).

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Howell
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Crozet, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Crozet, VA
Replied Aug 14 2018, 19:40

Charlottesville is tough for buy and hold.  Haven't seen many worthwhile deals in a while.  If you're fixing and flipping.... that may work but its not my area of expertise.

• Real Estate Agent Virginia (#0225242536)

Story House Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 15 2018, 14:10

Hey Preston,

I am investing in Henrico, Hanover, Chesterfield as well as some other states.  The market is great here.

User Stats

Votes
BJ Swing
  • Charlottesville, VA
Votes |
  • Charlottesville, VA
Replied Aug 16 2018, 04:14
Originally posted by @Aaron Howell:

Charlottesville is tough for buy and hold.  Haven't seen many worthwhile deals in a while.  If you're fixing and flipping.... that may work but its not my area of expertise.

Charlottesville is a rough market to get in on.  I have a seen a few good deals but they come with a mountain of rehab work.  I would have jumped on them if I had a team together but I've only been in the area for a year.

I'd like to get in to a duplex house hack but those on the market won't cash flow. 

User Stats

Votes
Tom Fisher
  • Charlottesville, VA
Votes |
  • Charlottesville, VA
Replied Aug 17 2018, 11:17

We're doing well in Ch-ville by buying fixer-uppers with cosmetic re-habs needed and Air BnB'ing them.  It works if you can find someone to manage and host for 10% and you have a nice mid-scale property.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Slater
  • Nellysford, VA
Votes |
  • Nellysford, VA
Replied Sep 3 2018, 03:41

@Tom Fisher - I'm really interested to learn about how you got into that business model. I'm in the Merchant Marines so I'm in and out of town...mostly out at sea. When I'm back in the states, do you mind if I look you up and we grab a cup of coffee?

User Stats

Votes
Tom Fisher
  • Charlottesville, VA
Votes |
  • Charlottesville, VA
Replied Sep 4 2018, 14:01

Andrew, Sure.   Good luck with the Air BnB model in Albemarle County, though.   I understand there are now some pretty severe restrictions on doing it outside the Charlottesville city limits

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 6 2018, 12:59

I live in Richmond also and I have been looking to break into some college towns in VA. Looking for multi family or single family with 3+ rooms. Any help would be appreciated!

Account Closed
  • Lender
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Replied Oct 8 2018, 10:18

We've structured construction loans on deals in Charlottesville where the investor replaces a mobile with a modular in desirable locations near a winery.