• Reseda, CA
Votes |
Property 8, 100% financed

Austin Fowler
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reseda, CA
Posted Nov 13 2022, 11:45

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $225,000

9509 Briarcreek Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73162

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fowler
  • Reseda, CA
Votes |
  • Reseda, CA
Replied Nov 29 2022, 13:11
Quote from @Steve K.:
Quote from @Austin Fowler:
Quote from @Steve K.:

Hmmm... turnkey rental properties purchased at full retail value, with 100% leverage, at the peak of the market cycle, owned remotely, under management, with no value add or upside other than potential natural appreciation, with accelerated depreciation, very little budgeted to fix anything or in case anything goes wrong... expected to somehow spin off enough profit to provide a guranteed percentage return to investors whose money is held in "savings accounts" with no bank charter or FDIC insurance, and only backed (partially) by personal funds... What could possibly go wrong here? This sounds like the same deluded justification that the iBuyers have been using over the past few years: "Too bad we lost $100k on that one property, but don't worry stockholders, we'll make up for it with scale!"

1) Tax assessed value going up from last year has no direct bearing on current market value, especially because the market turned just a few months ago but also in normal times. It's not a data point people use. 

2) Cap rate is not used for single family rentals, only multifamily.

3) Depreciation needs to be recaptured when you sell.

4) 3.7% for maintenance and repairs is unrealistic

5) 4% vacancy loss is extremely wishful thinking

6) An average tenant stays 2.5-3 years, not 6 and turnovers can easily cost $5-10k (which would take you many years to recover from with your budget, even if everything else goes perfectly)

7) Always take the operating costs given to you by the seller/ turnkey provider and double them for a more accurate estimate

I’m not seeing enough profit here to have it be a worthwhile use of time or worth the risk for even an individual investor, and definitely not enough to share with outside investors. Hopefully these properties have wonderful appreciation and nothing ever goes wrong with them! Even if your cashflow projections were realistic (aside from whoever sold you these properties, no one believes they are), I still don't see the point. I get the banking side and the investing side, it's not complicated but just doesn't add up due to there being no profit-driver. All this just for accelerated depreciation, very nominal equity gain through principle pay-down, very nominal if any positive cashflow, and maybe enough appreciation to make it all worth the effort in 20 years? By overcomplicating things and over-leveraging yourself in the way that you have, you've opened yourself up to more personal risk than the best-case returns could ever justify. You're doing all the work and taking all the risk while relying on getting really lucky for very little, if any, potential return (maybe appreciation will save you?). 

If you want to "be the bank", you'd get better returns with less work and less risk as a private lender. Why not just do that and use your own funds to invest since you already have the capital, and avoid having to deal with the hassle and risk of combining the two? There's got to be a lot of admin, paperwork, financial reporting, legal fees, customer service/sales/ account management/ explaining, software, client portal management/IT, new lead generation/marketing and other overhead involved in this business, and there's real risk of potential lawsuits, audits, criminal charges etc. If your projections turn out to be mere wishful thinking and not actual underwriting (which my experience tells me they are), you could actually even risk being sued or facing federal criminal charges because the rosy predictions you made to investors could end up being deemed as false and misleading statements. Obtaining money from investors by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises is called bank fraud. Your underwriting and financial statements could easily be seen as misleading, because you keep calling them very conservative when anyone with a basic understanding of what a realistic SFR operating budget looks like will agree that's not the case. These cashflow projections are simply unrealistic. Every property has vacancy, needs repairs and maintenance, and requires capital expenditures well beyond what you have budgeted for. You will end up needing to pay investors out from your personal funds to cover operating costs in the near future, unless your plan is to continue raising new capital to cover your losses, Ponzi style. I don't see the point unless this is some sort of fund-raising pump and dump scheme, but I can't see how a savvy accredited investor would participate in this anyway. Why wouldn't they just go directly to the turnkey provider, buy the asset and reap all the benefits themselves? What value do you bring to the deal? I understand how it's a tool for them like a high interest savings account, but why settle for 8% when they could just invest directly in turnkeys themselves?

Literally one garbage disposal going bad, not even a water heater replacement/plumbing leak/fallen tree/ driveway replacement/ sewer line collapse/ anything happening that costs more than your tiny maintenance, repairs and cap ex budget, or a single bad tenant/ eviction/ mishap that creates a few months of vacancy loss causes this model to lose money…. even a minor market correction for that matter considering you have zero equity/ zero margin for error… you’re probably underwater on these properties now with what is happening in the market. It’s unlikely you’d be able to sell them for what you paid never mind factoring in transaction costs and depreciation recapture since you're accelerating depreciation... 

Don’t quit your day job as they say. Hold on to your high-paying W2 for dear life now because you will need it to fund this money-losing endeavor. You may hit these extremely optimistic numbers in the very best year, but over time there’s no chance you’ll have positive cashflow. Sorry but I just don’t see it happening. Anyway, this model doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe for an apartment syndication or $100M development, but buying one-off turnkey rentals is an asset class that is notoriously difficult to derive profit from and impossible to scale (scaling will just magnify your losses here anyway). This seems like a lot of work and a lot of risk for not enough benefit and a potential recipe for disaster IMHO. Good luck, I hope you take this feedback as tough love and not a personal attack, and that you do well for yourself and your investors.   

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the detailed post, I appreciate it. To start, with a $625k W-2 and just $1.2M in private capital, meaning $96k in interest, I have deep pockets to look after my investors, which is always  top priority. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on appreciation of these assets until I have appraisals back. In any case, this is a long term play and that's ok with me.

I have a net worth 2x total investor funds, so I have substantial and growing resources to cover investors. Indeed between vesting stock and cashflow and tax returns my liquid reserves go up an average of $35k a month.

I think you are looking at all of this the wrong way. Let's assume you are a super investor and have much better ideas on how to make money safely grow than professionally managed longterm turnkey SFRs specifically from REI Nation (I've tried another turnkey provider and REI is incomparably better), then I'm telling you you can run a fractional reserve investment business legally (I have a Reg D 506c). This effectively gives you the ability to borrow money at 8% with indefinite capitalization and buy assets with 100% finance and 100% ownership. This is not a fantasy, this is what I'm doing. A great question for you is then what would you do with a loan on such terms? How would *you* invest it? The question is not rhetorical, it's precisely the discussion I'm trying to stimulate.

I do *not* claim that turnkey is better than other things, just what I have found works for me while testing this business model. I'm very interested in hearing what works for you, and how you could take my starting point and make it better.

Best,
Austin.

I appreciate your reply and your ability to accept constructive criticism/"tough love". To address your question above, I would invest in what has worked for me in my market (value-add multifamily), but that will not be the same for everyone in every market. I always recommend that investors leverage their own personal strengths or whatever gives them an unfair advantage over the competition. The ability to do that is what sets real estate above other investment vehicles IMO. I have had success in finding off-market small multifamily buildings that are in distressed condition, buying them at a discount and forcing appreciation quickly by fixing them up and raising rents which works well because multifamily property value is based on cap rate more-so than comps, whereas single family is always based on comps not cap rate so it's harder to force appreciation. If an investor is good at sourcing off-market deals, then that is their advantage which they should leverage. Another may be good at rehabbing efficiently and so flipping becomes their forte. Another may excel at something else and they will do best focusing on that. Almost all successful investors that I know have an unfair advantage. Most also stay local to one area or just a few areas that they have intimate market knowledge of, literally house by house and they have many personal connections in the market (PM's, trades, agents, title companies, lenders, birddogs/wholesalers, etc.). Without that, the risk increases substantially. 

For your business model, it seems that you're good at raising capital, deal structuring, and you have a neat banking-style approach to acquiring assets. I think buying larger assets with more cash flow may be a better fit for you than turnkey SFRs. I'd reach out to some commercial brokers in favorable locations (strong fundamentals, recession-proof markets considering where we are in the market cycle and the economic forecast calling for recession) and see about getting into the multifamily space. I have no problem with turnkey for certain investors, but it doesn't seem to fit your model IMO. I'd be concerned primarily about the lack of positive cashflow given your projections. From what I know about REI Nation is that they are very well-regarded and considered the leaders in the space. However the way that they project cashflow has been discussed and debated at length in these forums and what you should know is the 4% number comes from the assumption that owners only hold these assets for a few years and don't do anything major to them (the owner has discussed his justification for the lower-than normal operating cost projections on here, not to put words in his mouth but my understanding from reading his comments is that because they rehab the properties well before sale, and because most of their clients only hold a few years, the assumption is they won't have the normal expenses involved with maintaining properties over time). That's fine and I get it, but what this essentially means is that the projections only work under the assumption that investors will only hold for a limited time, won't ever need to do anything major to the properties, and will basically kick the can down the road for the next owner in regards to repairs, maintenance, and capex. My issue with that is in my experience capex issues don't follow a schedule. They come up for me randomly and often at the most inconvenient times. Also if you plan to hold more than the average REI Nation client, then you need to adjust the operating expenses to a normal estimate. I don't like using percentages personally, because they're derived from a somewhat arbitrary number. I like to total up everything I think the property will need during my hold period and divide that by the number of months in my intended hold period to get a more accurate operating budget, in order to have adequate reserves and predict overall cash flow beyond a single perfect month or year. For example if the roof is 15 years old, has a life expectancy of 20 years, and my intended hold period is 20 years, I can extrapolate from that how to budget for the new roof. I do this with all the major expenses: mechanicals, appliances, roof, finishes, driveway, sewer line, landscaping, etc. This is a much more accurate way to come up with a budget but obviously more time consuming and requires real expertise and construction experience/ knowing what all these things cost. I pad these numbers out for unknown expenses of which there are always, always a few. I would consider this actual conservative underwriting and using a percentage-based approach as more of a "back of the napkin" type starting point to see if it's worth doing a deeper dive, and nothing more. Creating an actual budget for an individual property almost always comes out to a lot more than what one might expect (which is why so many investors in low-rent SFR's fail), so I only invest in properties with high rent and minimum $300 monthly positive cash flow that can cover all the expensive things that properties need over time. So I'd recommend using more accurate budgeting as if you're planning to hold the properties long enough to incur some of the actual expenses related to operating a rental over time. Of course in order for turnkey investments to be attractive for investor clients, running the numbers in a way that shows them cash flowing positively is a must and so we end up with a woefully inadequate repair budget that only works when the investor will not own the property long enough to have any repairs. Also a large portfolio of SFRs is less liquid than a few larger assets. Your worst case scenario is a run on the bank coming at the same time as several big-ticket capital expenses, tenant issues or a market downturn/transition to a buyers market, preventing you from being able to sell quickly if needed and cash out investors as necessary. Owning fewer, larger assets would give you economy of scale which creates more cashflow, less legwork on acquisition and management, more liquidity, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experience in multifamily. I'd love to sit down one-on-one with you and compare the numbers of one of your deals the way you currently finance it, with the numbers you would achieve if you financed it my way.

I don't personally want to stay local in one market, rather I want to buy a large portfolio of cashflowing properties I can essentially buy off the rack and be hands off with across many markets (currently AL, AR, IL, MO, MS, OK, TN, TX) so that they track the average performance of cashflowing property across the entire market. This average performance is good enough to give me the return I need to pay my investors. As mentioned, the net positive cash flow in 2021 was approximately $70k, and I'm on track to double that in 2022. Let's please be clear that is after a lot of maintenance. Big expensive maintenance. I wish to state emphatically that this is a healthy cash flowing portfolio.

What percentage of rent do you consider reasonable to budget for vacancy and maintenance for a long term hold? Let me know, and I'll plug it into my spreadsheet, and I'll be able to tell you right away whether or not the portfolio still cash flows at that level. Better yet, message me so we can set up a time to talk one-on-one.

There are multiple valid investing styles. With single-family I get appreciation without having to increase rents. I get geographic diversity which helps with reducing the risk that any particular city dies whether through economic or environmental adversity. In my mind, smaller eggs in many baskets is lower risk than bigger eggs in fewer baskets. And what I'm doing is good enough. I'm not adverse to learning, but the things I wish to learn at the moment are how to get bigger and help more people. My investing style is adequate to do that.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Yin
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 30 2022, 08:01

@Austin Fowler

This has been an awsome thread, great read, and educational. Thank you for sharing your perspective and investment strategy. This is an example of how creatively is almost limitless.

I had thought of doing this many times in the past, but never to such details because I do not have a complete understanding of fractional banking at this level. If it's working and you know the risks and willing to take it, great. Its definitely cool to create money infinitely.

I focus on small multifamily and it works for my risk tolerance and vision/goals for generational wealth. I know others may do it SFRs or flips or syndication. Just do it.

I would love to learn more. I may, or may not, try it, but it's good to have resources.

My questions is the time value... your W2 is substantial. There sounds like a lot of administrative work behind your current model, even if there is no hands on at the rentals. Is the returns vs risk worth it you while, even as it grows?

I kinda made REI a business about the same time you did but with a W2 of about 1/4 of yours. With multifamily, I was able to meet, then beat, my W2 within 2 years. I have since quit the W2. The cash flow continues to grow and net worth scaled much faster and higher than you model. That's not to mean any disrespect to your numbers. This is just from a risk/reward/passive income comparison. I average about 4 hours per month and and probable drop it to 2 hours but Im spending time networking for more deals.

I guess the real difference is the 100% finance factor, equaling to infinite returns... that's the jewel of this whole thread.

Congrats! And again, thank you for sharing.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fowler
  • Reseda, CA
Votes |
  • Reseda, CA
Replied Nov 30 2022, 09:52
Quote from @Sam Yin:

@Austin Fowler

This has been an awsome thread, great read, and educational. Thank you for sharing your perspective and investment strategy. This is an example of how creatively is almost limitless.

I had thought of doing this many times in the past, but never to such details because I do not have a complete understanding of fractional banking at this level. If it's working and you know the risks and willing to take it, great. Its definitely cool to create money infinitely.

I focus on small multifamily and it works for my risk tolerance and vision/goals for generational wealth. I know others may do it SFRs or flips or syndication. Just do it.

I would love to learn more. I may, or may not, try it, but it's good to have resources.

My questions is the time value... your W2 is substantial. There sounds like a lot of administrative work behind your current model, even if there is no hands on at the rentals. Is the returns vs risk worth it you while, even as it grows?

I kinda made REI a business about the same time you did but with a W2 of about 1/4 of yours. With multifamily, I was able to meet, then beat, my W2 within 2 years. I have since quit the W2. The cash flow continues to grow and net worth scaled much faster and higher than you model. That's not to mean any disrespect to your numbers. This is just from a risk/reward/passive income comparison. I average about 4 hours per month and and probable drop it to 2 hours but Im spending time networking for more deals.

I guess the real difference is the 100% finance factor, equaling to infinite returns... that's the jewel of this whole thread.

Congrats! And again, thank you for sharing.

Hi Sam,

My website is set up to handle essentially all of the administrative details. The last properties I bought before interest rates got too high for my taste were in March. All of my properties are managed, so there's not really much to do on that side of things. The number one thing that takes time at the moment by a factor of 10x is this thread :-)

If you'd like to try raising capital the way I do, simply direct message me. It's very easy to get set up, and if you like the experience, please share it on this thread. Trying out the business model can be done at an arbitrary small scale with arbitrarily low risk. And if you don't like the experience, it's all easy to shut down. You can try the business model at microscale without committing to buying assets, or paying any legal fees of any kind. That's precisely what I did in the beginning, 20 years ago.

The thing I like about doing things the way I do is scalability. The 506c limits you to 100 clients. That's a great number since you can really know people and give them platinum level service. I'm currently sitting at 59 clients. When I max out my hundred clients, I plan to move my smaller clients to people I am teaching how to do this business. One day, I hope my 100 clients are 100 large businesses or funds. I can grow while keeping my workload constant.

If I get too big for SFRs, there are plenty of larger assets to absorb more capital. I dream of buying shopping malls, skyscrapers, and airports one day. In my mind, an 8% savings account coupled with real estate education and the ability to graduate to fund management is something that everyone wants, they just don't know it yet. If I can grow and build the credibility of my business, I see unlimited potential, and the purpose of this post is try to get more people involved so we all grow together.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Clothier#4 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • memphis, TN
Votes |
  • memphis, TN
Replied Nov 30 2022, 13:48

@Austin Fowler  what a great thread this has grown into.  It is so hard sometimes to read intent on a 2-dimensional forum like this.  It sure read like some of the commenters were more interested in arguing they were right rather than understanding what you have set up.  Either way, you've done a great job of communicating and answering posts.  Kudos to you.  

When you and I spoke a couple of months back, I did not fully understand the structure and did not know you had a Reg D fund set up.  Now that I have read through this entire thread, I have a much clearer picture.  I think you are going to do fantastic not just because of your openness and willingness to answer questions, but because of your years of life, work and real estate experience.  Good luck to you and I am sure we will continue to be talking.  Let me know what I can do to help.

@Steve K., One thing that is not correct in one your statements is that owners sell their properties in short-time periods.  Now, we do have owners that 1031 exchange properties as their investment ages and roll into newly renovated properties, but even that is not common.  We lose a fraction annually of what a traditional management company loses in their portfolio.

We also don't just blindly put out data.  We have multiple data sets of how properties perform from year one to year 10.  Our best data right now is between year one & year seven because we have at least five years for each set (although some sets are larger than others and the larger sets give us better data), but as I'm sure you're aware, the more properties and time that get added, the clearer the data becomes. 

I read a lot of your posts here on BP.  As usual, I think your posts are good and thoughtful on this thread.  I really liked the way you described how you approach future costs by not using random percentages and instead looking to calculate costs based on a hold period.  You and I are similar in our approaches, although I do not set aside nor account monthly.  I simply have more than ample reserves to cover any future expenses and when rents do not cover maintenance costs, I send payment to the management company and add to my cost basis.  I'm not worried about calculating monthly cash flow.  Mine will fluctuate from time to time, but remains relatively stable and positive.  I invest for capital preservation and for the leverage advantages.  I had a great conversation on here last week with another investor who explained that I use leverage all wrong.  Like this one, it could have easily gone sideways but we ended up having a great conversation and in the end I learned to look at leverage slightly differently. He didn't change my mind, but his way is right to him, my way is right to me and at a minimum I will look at future deals through his lens before closing.

As for REI data and what we show investors, we know in the first five years, median maintenance costs for an owner will be 2.4%. Exactly half the properties are higher and half are lower. The lowest 25% of properties perform at $0 (zero) maintenance costs for the first 5 years and highest 25% being just under 4%. As ownership reaches 10 years, the median grows to roughly just over 4% including move-out costs, maintenance and any Capex items that may have occurred. The lowest 25% is 1% maintenance costs over 10 years, the middle 50% is 4% and the highest 25% is at 9%. A vast majority of the higher maintenance occurs between years 8-10 which in our data are houses renovated between 2011 and 2013.

We fully expect our data to continue to improve and our 10 year renovation costs to come down dramatically over the next five years.  As a company we had completed less than 2,000 renovations in 2013 and are well over 9,000 renovations now.  We've learned what works and what does not work from a front end renovation approach and what items truly help a property perform over time.

Same goes for management.  On the management side, we are 30 days away from completing our 6th straight year with less than 14% of our total portfolio experiencing a move-out and our 8th year with less than 19% of our portfolio experiencing a move-out. When you remove the properties we have rented since January 2021 from the data (since they have not had an opportunity for renewal), the median length of occupancy of our portfolio is over 5 years. We successfully negotiate a new lease after the original 2-year lease on just over 80% of all leases and 98% of those renewals come with a growth in rent.  If you can keep a happy resident in a well-renovated home through great delivery and service, you can reduce vacancy and reduce maintenance.  We sincerely believe we can push an average length of occupancy per lease to over the current seven years we are running.  So much of it has to do with how you treat the home and the resident living in it. 

One risk for Austin and his plan is what happens after 10 years? We do not have the data for those years and we fully understand that over time, maintenance and Capex have to take place. There will always be move-outs and the data is from an average and median standpoint so there are good and bad results that make up the data. However, we've been excellent at setting the right expectations and delivering a reliable experience over the first 7-10 years. Those years are critical. I think as Austin scales his plan to include more homes and gets rid of any poor performers that he purchased elsewhere (1031x), his larger portfolio should perform to the same average as our overall portfolio. And, unless I missed something, Austin can easily pick the right time should he choose to exit his portfolio and 1031 exchange into a newer investment portfolio or even new investment. His return will be infinite on any deals he has no personal money in, and the portfolio itself is highly likely to have a remarkably good return for being SFR.

I don't think we are wishful thinking or unrealistic in any of our expectations although I do fully believe that there is no way a random company could achieve the results we are achieving.  It is intentional.  It is so much more than just buying a house, doing some work to it to get it rent ready and finding a renter.  There are 100's of processes, decisions and intentional acts that we take beginning to end that we know many property renovators and managers never think of.  You cannot apply any of our numbers to a random property, person or company that uses the word Turnkey to promote themselves.  Years ago we had a best-selling author write about our company and our strategy for becoming a category of one company.  There are several good companies out there and owners that I personally like and think they are outstanding, but there are only a handful of companies I would recommend.  I also believe most would say that we are a stand alone when it comes to how we operate.  We have been in business longer than anyone and were never interested in just making money.  We wanted to build something that had never been done before.  We are still interested in being the best we can be which means we still have a lot of runway in front of us as a company.

I will add that 65% of our monthly sales go to an existing client building their portfolio and our clients range from very diverse backgrounds and experience.  That speaks for itself.  Today, we are managing just under 7,700 properties with a value north of $2 billion.  Roughly 3,000 client accounts own those properties.

@Jeremy H. So, yes, we are absolutely in business to make a profit. Who would want to do business with a service provider that wasn't profitable?  However, the home sales are more of a revenue generator.  Yes, we are profitable, but the profit comes from managing such a large portfolio.  It is not even the single houses that do it, but the fact that we add hundreds of properties a year to the portfolio without losing many that makes the scale highly profitable.  Home sales generate the revenue to be able to operate with such a large team across the 12 cities and the technology to manage it.  We want to be profitable and to earn a fair compensation for the service we provide.  In return, we will go above and beyond when necessary to hit an investors expectations. 

REI Nation, LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 30 2022, 17:56

Outside of all the nonsense in this thread, how have you enjoyed the turnkey process? Which have you used and would recommend? And what's the process like for an OOS?

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fowler
  • Reseda, CA
Votes |
  • Reseda, CA
Replied Nov 30 2022, 23:33
Quote from @V.G Jason:

Outside of all the nonsense in this thread, how have you enjoyed the turnkey process? Which have you used and would recommend? And what's the process like for an OOS?

I have enjoyed the turnkey process with REI Nation. In my case I set a minimum cash flow criteria, and bought properties that met this criteria as they were sent my way. I have found their estimates on achievable rent, vacancies, maintenance, taxes, and insurance, all highly reliable. The recommendations of insurance policies and lenders have been excellent. One of the lenders they recommended got me to 15 conventional mortgages in my own name. I wouldn't have even known this was possible without the recommendation (cross-country mortgage). They also introduced me to a CPA that once owned 250 houses and sold them all to a hedge fund. This CPA got my wife and I set up so that we could claim accelerated depreciation and has generally made owning property in 9 states manageable.

The entire process is talk to them, get recommendations for lenders and get prequalified, set purchase criteria, get presented with properties, secure the properties you want with $2,500, get recommendations for insurance and building inspectors, REI goes through the inspection report and fixes issues, lender orders the appraisal, and assuming the appraisal comes back high enough, complete closing.

I have also bought 12 properties through SDIRA wealth but they are not really turnkey in the sense that they do not do their own in-house property management. This experience has been less good, as the rent estimates of the developer were sometimes too high and unachievable by the third-party property manager. Their third-party property management was also simply not in the same league as REI Nation. Way more vacancy and tenant issues. Still happy overall to have these properties, but I won't be buying any more from them.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy H.
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
  • Lafayette, LA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 06:26
Quote from @Chris Clothier:

@Jeremy H. So, yes, we are absolutely in business to make a profit. Who would want to do business with a service provider that wasn't profitable?  However, the home sales are more of a revenue generator.  Yes, we are profitable, but the profit comes from managing such a large portfolio.  It is not even the single houses that do it, but the fact that we add hundreds of properties a year to the portfolio without losing many that makes the scale highly profitable.  Home sales generate the revenue to be able to operate with such a large team across the 12 cities and the technology to manage it.  We want to be profitable and to earn a fair compensation for the service we provide.  In return, we will go above and beyond when necessary to hit an investors expectations. 

@Chris Clothier I understand the business model, but I will continue to challenge some of the estimates you all use just because it deviates from the the mainstream, in this case. I'm not saying it's wrong, and you certainly have the data and experience to back it up - but MOST landlords experience higher vacancy, more costly turnover, higher maintenance & repair costs, and will have Cap Ex if they hold the property long enough. So you can see the issue from my point of view - we have typical landlord experience vs profitable turnkey management company experience. 

So the idea is that you have the trust the data (on a company that develops the data and makes money directly off you in multiple streams) before you experience it - and then trust that the experience will be different than most!

I have spoken with you myself, get email updates, and STILL consider going this route. I consider it frequently actually - why? Because you all typically have good customer experiences, repeat customers, and provide data directly taken from your experiences. 

So am I naturally a little bit wary? Yes. Do I think it's a bad business model and REI Nation is out to get everyone? No. I think it can be a great option if you have capital, want to scale, and don't have time. Do I think learning how to buy under market price, rehab, refi and then rent is a good strategy too, yes. And the latter MIGHT be better for some people while the former MIGHT be better for others.

But I think the challenges I give you are plenty fair. If I wasn't hard on you or @Austin Fowler do you think this thread would have turned into what it has? Has REI Nation gotten more views? Has Austin's company gotten more views and exposure? Did any of it ACTUALLY turn out negative? Trust me - disagreeing 100% with you or anyone else (whether or not I agree with what I am saying to you) has it's place because it's going to force you to respond one way or another. And how good of responses and explanations did we get in this thread?

User Stats

Votes
  • memphis, TN
Votes |
  • memphis, TN
Replied Dec 1 2022, 07:06
Quote from @Jeremy H.:

Well put Jeremy.  Challenging the status quo or the norm is exactly how we built our company and achieve the result we do, so no big deal at all.  And, as I said, sometimes in a 2-dimensional conversation, questions, challenges and even answers can seem way more than they really are.  I like the conversation and appreciate the back and forth and like to read what other posters think.  Like you, I don't always agree, but when an investor is talking about their own experiences, who am I to question them, right?  I can post my opinions, but I try to remember to respect the approach others are coming from. 

I don't know if you have read it on here before, so I will post it again, no investor should take data or information on faith.  Anyone you work with that is going to provide a service to you needs to earn your faith - your trust.  That includes my families' company.  We take our responsibility and an investors' returns very seriously, but no one cares about your money more than you.  You are responsible for your investment and so you are responsible for every company you hire to provide service.  Be careful and patient and make companies you want to work with earn your trust.  

REI Nation, LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fowler
  • Reseda, CA
Votes |
  • Reseda, CA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 09:19
Quote from @Chris Clothier:
Quote from @Jeremy H.:

Well put Jeremy.  Challenging the status quo or the norm is exactly how we built our company and achieve the result we do, so no big deal at all.  And, as I said, sometimes in a 2-dimensional conversation, questions, challenges and even answers can seem way more than they really are.  I like the conversation and appreciate the back and forth and like to read what other posters think.  Like you, I don't always agree, but when an investor is talking about their own experiences, who am I to question them, right?  I can post my opinions, but I try to remember to respect the approach others are coming from. 

I don't know if you have read it on here before, so I will post it again, no investor should take data or information on faith.  Anyone you work with that is going to provide a service to you needs to earn your faith - your trust.  That includes my families' company.  We take our responsibility and an investors' returns very seriously, but no one cares about your money more than you.  You are responsible for your investment and so you are responsible for every company you hire to provide service.  Be careful and patient and make companies you want to work with earn your trust.  

Thanks everyone for the questions! If anyone has any more questions, please do ask. If you prefer a more private setting, please feel free to connect and message me directly.

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 1 2022, 15:32
Quote from @V.G Jason:

I have enjoyed the turnkey process with REI Nation. In my case I set a minimum cash flow criteria, and bought properties that met this criteria as they were sent my way. I have found their estimates on achievable rent, vacancies, maintenance, taxes, and insurance, all highly reliable. The recommendations of insurance policies and lenders have been excellent. One of the lenders they recommended got me to 15 conventional mortgages in my own name. I wouldn't have even known this was possible without the recommendation (cross-country mortgage). They also introduced me to a CPA that once owned 250 houses and sold them all to a hedge fund. This CPA got my wife and I set up so that we could claim accelerated depreciation and has generally made owning property in 9 states manageable.

The entire process is talk to them, get recommendations for lenders and get prequalified, set purchase criteria, get presented with properties, secure the properties you want with $2,500, get recommendations for insurance and building inspectors, REI goes through the inspection report and fixes issues, lender orders the appraisal, and assuming the appraisal comes back high enough, complete closing.

I have also bought 12 properties through SDIRA wealth but they are not really turnkey in the sense that they do not do their own in-house property management. This experience has been less good, as the rent estimates of the developer were sometimes too high and unachievable by the third-party property manager. Their third-party property management was also simply not in the same league as REI Nation. Way more vacancy and tenant issues. Still happy overall to have these properties, but I won't be buying any more from them.

So SDIRA wealth & REI. Have you encountered any issues during that process you described from lending to repairs prior to closing with REI? If so, what and how were they mitigated?

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fowler
  • Reseda, CA
Votes |
  • Reseda, CA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 16:14
Quote from @V.G Jason:
Quote from @V.G Jason:

So SDIRA wealth & REI. Have you encountered any issues during that process you described from lending to repairs prior to closing with REI? If so, what and how were they mitigated?

Prior to closing? No. REI Nation properties are extensively renovated and delivered to the investor as such and the SDIRA wealth properties were brand new. I've had much more colorful experiences with six properties I bought through a realtor in Chicago that required pretty extensive work, from a new roof, to new furnaces, to AC units, basement, drainage, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Steve K.#1 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Dec 1 2022, 20:41
@Chris Clothier

Thanks for clarifying those points that I had recalled you had made on previous threads, and sincere apologies for paraphrasing inaccurately in regards to average hold period. Also thanks for the insight on how your company works. It's clear that REI Nation is a league above most if not all other turnkey providers, which helps explain why your client's operating costs in the first years of ownership are so much lower than a typical turnkey or other investment property, and why your average tenancy is longer. From reading your posts and from your stellar track record and reputation in the industry, I believe your data to be accurate despite not having any firsthand experience with your company. Perhaps your renovations, systems and management are really that good. You've obviously not just doing a lipstick cosmetic flip and outsourcing management like a lot of "turnkey"/ turn and burn providers are. I would never recommend that anyone underwrite a typical turnkey property or other investment property using such low percentages of rent for maintenance and capex, as in my experience most rentals will have operating costs that far exceed the somewhat arbitrary number at the end of that equation, but you've obviously got great data to support your recommendations on how to project cashflows for your properties, so hat's off to you. Thanks for taking the time to chime in.

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fowler
  • Reseda, CA
Votes |
  • Reseda, CA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 21:55
Quote from @Steve K.:
@Chris Clothier

Thanks for clarifying those points that I had recalled you had made on previous threads, and sincere apologies for paraphrasing inaccurately in regards to average hold period. Also thanks for the insight on how your company works. It's clear that REI Nation is a league above most if not all other turnkey providers, which helps explain why your client's operating costs in the first years of ownership are so much lower than a typical turnkey or other investment property, and why your average tenancy is longer. From reading your posts and from your stellar track record and reputation in the industry, I believe your data to be accurate despite not having any firsthand experience with your company. Perhaps your renovations, systems and management are really that good. You've obviously not just doing a lipstick cosmetic flip and outsourcing management like a lot of "turnkey"/ turn and burn providers are. I would never recommend that anyone underwrite a typical turnkey property or other investment property using such low percentages of rent for maintenance and capex, as in my experience most rentals will have operating costs that far exceed the somewhat arbitrary number at the end of that equation, but you've obviously got great data to support your recommendations on how to project cashflows for your properties, so hat's off to you. Thanks for taking the time to chime in.

Would love to get a percentage from you that you consider conservative when estimating vacancy and maintenance costs over the long haul. REI Nation's numbers are exceptional, and Chris' data is vast and comprehensive, but this stark contrast in performance between REI and others is also very apparent in my much smaller sample of 15 houses with REI and 18 not.

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fowler
  • Reseda, CA
Votes |
  • Reseda, CA
Replied Dec 6 2022, 15:06

Dear all,

As promised, I have an appraisal back on one of my properties. For context, note that all of my 33 SFRs were purchased in the time range 9/18/2020 to 3/23/2022, and the claim of some has been that these would be underwater. Well... see below.

21003 Emery Mills, Humble, TX 77338

Purchased 9/18/2020 for $175,000

Appraised at time of purchase at $176,000

Appraised 11/30/2022 at $212,000, an increase of 21%

This is certainly in keeping with my reading of market prices for my properties.

Best,

Austin.

User Stats

Votes
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Dec 15 2022, 10:49

Would love to get a percentage from you that you consider conservative when estimating vacancy and maintenance costs over the long haul. REI Nation's numbers are exceptional, and Chris' data is vast and comprehensive, but this stark contrast in performance between REI and others is also very apparent in my much smaller sample of 15 houses with REI and 18 not.

I really don't like to use percentages for anything other than a very quick, first pass analysis. I have a quick spreadsheet that I use with default settings at 10% for repairs & maintenance, 3% for capex, 10% PM (even though I pay 7%, I find that the effective rate ends up closer to 10% with various additional things that come up which I have them handle). For vacancy/loss I use 7%. There's also a catch-all "additional expenses/other" line item of 3% for Murphy's Law. I would just use this for a quick initial analysis and then move on to a more detailed analysis. I used to always (and sometimes still do) run very detailed maintenance, repair, and capex cost projections based on the estimated remaining economic life of the major components of the property to prepare an accurate net operating income statement. That's the best way to actually underwrite accurately IMO. I look at the age and expected lifespan of each major component or potential expense, estimate when it will need to be done and at what cost, total up all those expenses for the intended hold period then divide by the appropriate increment to come up with a monthly or annual budget. The average number I would compute for a typical Class B vanilla SFR would typically be around $2,500-$3,500 per year, which is why I'd say that any percentage-based analysis which results in a dollar amount lower than that can cause problems. For example I've seen people using something along the lines of 7% of $600/month rent before on here, without noticing that the end result is only a $500/year budget, which is obviously not a realistic number to expect to be able to operate a rental over time. Literally one service call from a plumber sets those investors back several years. So it's easy to get into trouble using percentages IMO and it's important to make sure whatever estimates you're making pass the "Is this actually a realistic number?" test. Every property will need a new roof, furnace, AC, appliances, driveway, drain line, cosmetic updating, flooring, tenant damage repair etc. over time and of course unexpected expenses often come out of left field as well, usually several in a row and at the worst possible time. There are certain costs necessary to maintain a property regardless of what the value of it is or what the rent is (higher end luxury properties will be more expensive to maintain obviously, but even then many of the components cost the same whether it's a $100k property or $1M). So in my opinion calculating based on percentage of rent or other rules of thumb like 1-4% of the property value per year, or $1 per square foot per year can lead to less than sufficient actual dollar amounts. $2 per square foot per year would actually be closer to what I've spent on my properties, but I always look to add value since appreciation is more important to me than cash flow, so I probably spend more than your typical landlord does. In order to get an accurate estimate of cash flow for a property, you have to look at the remaining economic life of each major component/condition and estimate all the actual expenses on that specific property then budget accordingly. 

That said, on my last several purchases I didn't really run much detailed analysis on them honestly because I know the areas where I'm buying house by house now and I simply know a good buy when I see it. A buy for me is the worst house on the best block where I can force six-figure appreciation quickly. Whether it's $200 or $300/month cash flow isn't really important because the forced appreciation I'm getting ends up being around $350 per day. I'm an active investor with real estate, capturing equity through value-add and by purchasing below retail (single family as well, not just multifamily but I've been able to force more appreciation quicker with MF in general). Being able to leverage my strengths in construction and my working knowledge in the market as an agent, finding good deals with initial equity capture and then forcing appreciation through value-add is the only reason I invest in real estate over other investment vehicles. For passive investing I just buy blue chip "aristocrat" dividend stocks.  

User Stats

Votes
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Dec 15 2022, 20:09

Dear all,

As promised, I have an appraisal back on one of my properties. For context, note that all of my 33 SFRs were purchased in the time range 9/18/2020 to 3/23/2022, and the claim of some has been that these would be underwater. Well... see below.

This is certainly in keeping with my reading of market prices for my properties.

Best,

Austin.

Net sheet if you were to sell right now probably looks something like this?:

$37k gross profit (21%)

Transaction fees (6%): -$12,720I

Capital gains taxes: -$11,000

Interest to investors: -$7,000

Depreciation Recapture: ~$6,000?

$280 net profit...  if everything goes perfectly? 

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fowler
  • Reseda, CA
Votes |
  • Reseda, CA
Replied Dec 16 2022, 04:07
Quote from @Steve K.:

I really don't like to use percentages for anything other than a very quick, first pass analysis. I have a quick spreadsheet that I use with default settings at 10% for repairs & maintenance, 3% for capex, 10% PM (even though I pay 7%, I find that the effective rate ends up closer to 10% with various additional things that come up which I have them handle). For vacancy/loss I use 7%. There's also a catch-all "additional expenses/other" line item of 3% for Murphy's Law. I would just use this for a quick initial analysis and then move on to a more detailed analysis. I used to always (and sometimes still do) run very detailed maintenance, repair, and capex cost projections based on the estimated remaining economic life of the major components of the property to prepare an accurate net operating income statement. That's the best way to actually underwrite accurately IMO. I look at the age and expected lifespan of each major component or potential expense, estimate when it will need to be done and at what cost, total up all those expenses for the intended hold period then divide by the appropriate increment to come up with a monthly or annual budget. The average number I would compute for a typical Class B vanilla SFR would typically be around $2,500-$3,500 per year, which is why I'd say that any percentage-based analysis which results in a dollar amount lower than that can cause problems. For example I've seen people using something along the lines of 7% of $600/month rent before on here, without noticing that the end result is only a $500/year budget, which is obviously not a realistic number to expect to be able to operate a rental over time. Literally one service call from a plumber sets those investors back several years. So it's easy to get into trouble using percentages IMO and it's important to make sure whatever estimates you're making pass the "Is this actually a realistic number?" test. Every property will need a new roof, furnace, AC, appliances, driveway, drain line, cosmetic updating, flooring, tenant damage repair etc. over time and of course unexpected expenses often come out of left field as well, usually several in a row and at the worst possible time. There are certain costs necessary to maintain a property regardless of what the value of it is or what the rent is (higher end luxury properties will be more expensive to maintain obviously, but even then many of the components cost the same whether it's a $100k property or $1M). So in my opinion calculating based on percentage of rent or other rules of thumb like 1-4% of the property value per year, or $1 per square foot per year can lead to less than sufficient actual dollar amounts. $2 per square foot per year would actually be closer to what I've spent on my properties, but I always look to add value since appreciation is more important to me than cash flow, so I probably spend more than your typical landlord does. In order to get an accurate estimate of cash flow for a property, you have to look at the remaining economic life of each major component/condition and estimate all the actual expenses on that specific property then budget accordingly. 

That said, on my last several purchases I didn't really run much detailed analysis on them honestly because I know the areas where I'm buying house by house now and I simply know a good buy when I see it. A buy for me is the worst house on the best block where I can force six-figure appreciation quickly. Whether it's $200 or $300/month cash flow isn't really important because the forced appreciation I'm getting ends up being around $350 per day. I'm an active investor with real estate, capturing equity through value-add and by purchasing below retail (single family as well, not just multifamily but I've been able to force more appreciation quicker with MF in general). Being able to leverage my strengths in construction and my working knowledge in the market as an agent, finding good deals with initial equity capture and then forcing appreciation through value-add is the only reason I invest in real estate over other investment vehicles. For passive investing I just buy blue chip "aristocrat" dividend stocks.  

Hi Steve,

So to summarize, you'd like to assume 10% property management and 23% vacancy and maintenance. Please review my property summary spreadsheet, as you can see, in cell AJ48, even with these (in my opinion extreme) assumptions, the portfolio cash flows $2,887.57 a month. As stressed from the beginning, these are houses I can afford to hold on to forever. This is explicitly my goal when acquiring real estate, to buy houses that cash flow enough to hold forever.

Could you please confirm you now concur, as I've been saying all along, that this is a suitable long-term hold portfolio?

Best,

Austin.

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fowler
  • Reseda, CA
Votes |
  • Reseda, CA
Replied Dec 16 2022, 04:10
Quote from @Steve K.:

Dear all,

Best,

Austin.

Net sheet if you were to sell right now probably looks something like this?:

$37k gross profit (21%)

Transaction fees (6%): -$12,720I

Capital gains taxes: -$11,000

Interest to investors: -$7,000

Depreciation Recapture: ~$6,000?

$280 net profit...  if everything goes perfectly? 

As mentioned many times, the goal is not to sell, rather hold indefinitely. Any house you buy at market then sell shortly after for a similar price would be a bad deal. If we take 10% instead of 20% as average appreciation of the portfolio, that's over $700k of appreciation, plus $400k in cash from accelerated depreciation. I'll take that deal any time.

Best,

Austin.

User Stats

Votes
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Dec 22 2022, 19:24
Quote from @Steve K.:

Hi Steve,

So to summarize, you'd like to assume 10% property management and 23% vacancy and maintenance. Please review my property summary spreadsheet, as you can see, in cell AJ48, even with these (in my opinion extreme) assumptions, the portfolio cash flows $2,887.57 a month. As stressed from the beginning, these are houses I can afford to hold on to forever. This is explicitly my goal when acquiring real estate, to buy houses that cash flow enough to hold forever.

Could you please confirm you now concur, as I've been saying all along, that this is a suitable long-term hold portfolio?

Best,

Austin.

The juice would not be worth the squeeze for me personally, but if it works for you then that's great!