Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Peter G.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • OKC
Votes |
1,000 rental houses does this seem reasonable?

Peter G.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • OKC
Posted Feb 25 2017, 20:36
Hi BPM(Big Pocket Members)! I have a thought I'd like to run by you all to see if you think it's actually doable. I have a goal of having 1,000 rental property's here in Oklahoma in the next 25 years. Here's the breakdown 1,000 rentals all bought for 120k or less after all expenses 1000 rentals renting for 1200$ per month on avg 1000 rentals each at 600-700$ monthly mortgage 1000 rentals will $2,500 or less property tax each year 1000 rentals with insurance costing 1,500 per year or less Now let's run the numbers 1000 rentals 20% down on a max of 120k = $24,000 per house or 2.4m for all Property management fee monthly $120,000 1000 houses with $700 30 year mortgage = $700,000 monthly 1000 houses with insurance costing $1,500 a year insurance = $125,000 a month 1000 houses with $2,500 property tax each year = $208,333 per month Total costs = $1,153,333 per month Total revenue = $1,200,000 per month Total cost for 1,000 property's out of pocket over 25 years = $2,400,000 Total value of 1,000 properties 120,000,000 Monthly profit after the 30 years would be though the roof at $453,333 a month. I know theses numbers are really rough but the only one that's 100% for sure is the 1,000 rent houses. Do you think this is too crazy to achieve? I'm going to build it up as I go obviously and not do this straight out the gate. It just almost seems insane that with 2.4-3m anyone can have 120m+ in properties! This is my goal let me know if you think I'm nuts! Also let me know your goals!

User Stats

Votes
Peter G.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • OKC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • OKC
Replied Feb 27 2017, 17:31

Jeff B. I own 2 now my goal is 250 in the next 25 years. You need to stop being all knowing how do you know I haven't had a job as a property manager?!! Maybe that's the reason I feel comfortable doing 250 SFH.

People like you are the ones in this world that try to bring people down. Offer no solid advice just try to bring people down with the posts.

I laugh at all that are like you and when I hit that 250 house goal I'll look back and see your still going nowhere posting negative things.

Hope you can sleep at night knowing your one of those people. Hopefully just on the internet and not in your real life because that's even worse.

User Stats

Votes
Peter G.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • OKC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • OKC
Replied Feb 27 2017, 17:34

Mark Allen In 5-10 years I will look t going that would you mind explaining more on how that process works? Just buy bulk properties from other investors or what?

My new goal is 250 houses in the next 25 years,

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mark Mathews
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 27 2017, 20:44

@Peter G. That's a really big goal. Someone recently asked me what would be my Fantasy Goal. I chose $1M income in the next 2 years. After thinking about it for a while, I realized that there are people who do this in less than one year. So, I don't think it's something that can't be done anymore, but I do realize that I'll need help and guidance in making it happen.

The size of the project you are proposing goes way beyond a do-it-yourself program. You'll need to develop a team of professionals, even hiring some of them full time in your own corporate enterprise.

Can you do it? There's only one way to find out.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff B.
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Feb 28 2017, 07:54
Originally posted by @Peter G.:

Jeff B. I own 2 now my goal is 250 in the next 25 years. You need to stop being all knowing how do you know I haven't had a job as a property manager?!! Maybe that's the reason I feel comfortable doing 250 SFH.

Wonderful.  Massive long term goals a frequently met by those forming achievable short term goals and progressive refining their approach along the way.  Truly hope you can avoid stubbing your toes with your attempt to eat the elephant in one bite.

Your right, I don't know you and I still learn things every day.  I doubt we could be friends as you have yet to learn the value of the devils advocate.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 28 2017, 08:04

Urgh - 1,000 cheap rentals. Sounds terrible. 

Why not 50 fantastic rentals in great locations? Or better yet, 5-10 properties, with a nice mix of commercial and large multifamily. Plentiful cash flow, WAY less management, WAY simpler than 1,000 individual units. 

User Stats

Votes
Peter G.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • OKC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • OKC
Replied Feb 28 2017, 08:35

Jeff B. Sorry for being so rude I used to get picked on so now I'm pretty guarded when I feel like someone is trying to be rude I tend to put my guard up.

I do wish you all the best!

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Feb 28 2017, 10:30
Originally posted by @Peter G.:

People like you are the ones in this world that try to bring people down. Offer no solid advice just try to bring people down with the posts.

I laugh at all that are like you and when I hit that 250 house goal I'll look back and see your still going nowhere posting negative things.

Hope you can sleep at night knowing your one of those people. Hopefully just on the internet and not in your real life because that's even worse.

10 per year, every year, can be done, but that is going to be a hell of a lot of work. Without a solid team as part of this effort my prediction is you will burn out in short order. What you are talking about is not a one-man operation, but a residential purchase & hold unit (LLC, etc). There are people on here with that many doors, past or present. Talk to @Jay Hinrichs, he will give you some insight on owning that many properties.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Feb 28 2017, 10:33

PS: You want to listen to the @Jeff B.'s more than you want to listen to the @William Brown's (no insult intended, William Brown - you are here for illustration). What good does it do to only talk to cheerleaders? Yes, there's a place in the world for moral support, but there are far fewer people talking you off the ledge with sound advice than there are dreamers who are telling you "Oh yeah, those things sticking out of your shoulders look like wings to me - jump!"

I prefer to hear from people who tell me that something won't work and why it won't work. That doesn't mean I'm going to listen to them, but it does mean I'll have one more angle to consider before I decide on my course of action. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff B.
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Feb 28 2017, 13:32
Originally posted by @JD Martin:

PS: You want to listen to the @Jeff B.'s more

There's so much hype and "excessive exuberance" in REI, I fear a great many can't connect the dots that so frequently lead to "unintended consequences". There's enough of these already that we can't do much about but I just hate to volunteer for them just because I didn't do enough research.

Once I intended to create PM company for out-of-state investments, but when I found out that a Brokers License was required, that killed that idea.  Sure glad I didn't get the cart before the horse and make the purchase first.

User Stats

Votes
William Brown
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 28 2017, 15:41

@JD Martin I agree with you completely, however  I don't see it necessarily as cheerleading during the game, I look at it like the pep talk. What do coaches tell underdog teams before they go out and play the championship game? This won't work because of A B C and we won't win because its statistically impossible--no! They indeed tell them that it isn't going to be easy, but instead of condemning them to lose they inspire them to win. 

If I am ever simply "cheerleading" someone into going down the wrong path please do call me out on it. That has never been and never will be my intention. I believe that BP, aside from the numbers and realistic thinking, was created as a support system. You can't go anywhere if you don't believe in yourself, and it is really hard to believe in yourself when no one else's believe in you.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 28 2017, 16:12

@William Brown their is cheerleading and what I call Blue Sky... like posted above I wanted to own 5,000 SFR's I made it to 350 before I cried uncle.. LOL...

But I know many who owne multiple hundreds.. the one's that do the best though have no debt.. they collected them over the course of 40 to 60 years usually in their 70 to late 80s with no debt.

Leveraging up all these homes with max leverage I think personally is highly risky...

But hey shoot for 1000,, or 250   end up with 50  not bad..

User Stats

Votes
William Brown
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 28 2017, 16:53

@Jay Hinrichs

Got it. 

Looking for a lender to lend $300MM at 0% apr so I can finance the 1000 SFRs I have across 50 states. Message if interested.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 28 2017, 17:43

@William Brown  there are all sorts of those lenders just post money wanted on BP  Linkdyn or facebook .. you might have to go to 2 or 3 % though but they will do 100%  and they only require you to say your going to pay them back.. and of course they may want an unrefundable up front fee that will of course be credited back when you take down the first 100 million

User Stats

Votes
Brent Coombs
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Feb 28 2017, 18:28
Originally posted by @William Brown:

@Jay Hinrichs

Got it. 

Looking for a lender to lend $300MM at 0% apr so I can finance the 1000 SFRs I have across 50 states. Message if interested.

Good one!...

User Stats

Votes
William Brown
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 28 2017, 18:39

@Jay Hinrichs

ah yes the only thing more valuable than 1000 SFRs is a sense of humor.

But seriously if anyone has the dough slip me a DM.

@Brent Coombs

And please don't tell Josh or Brandon on me….my two biggest nightmares I used to have were of Adam Levine and Sasquatch.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Allen
  • Real Estate Investor/Broker
  • Irving, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor/Broker
  • Irving, TX
Replied Mar 3 2017, 11:45

Ya, buy in bulk and achieve certain economies of scale. Banks will lend all day on well performing portfolios. You can raise the equity if you don't have the cash...