Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael Filppu
  • New to Real Estate
  • Evansville, IN
Votes |
Problem tenants on a month to month lease

Michael Filppu
  • New to Real Estate
  • Evansville, IN
Posted

I purchased a duplex a year ago with inherited tenants. One moved out immediately, and I took that opportunity to fix up that side of the duplex. Now it is fabulous and rented. The tenants in the second side smoke indoors, continuously pay rent a little late, and a contractor is telling me their side is not safe to live in. I sent a certified letter giving them 30 days to move out. They are not receiving the notice that I will not be renewing their lease. What are my options at this point? They say they are willing to meet up and talk about it. I’m willing to offer cash for keys. What can I do if they will not receive the notice?

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Quote from @Michael Filppu:

I purchased a duplex a year ago with inherited tenants. One moved out immediately, and I took that opportunity to fix up that side of the duplex. Now it is fabulous and rented. The tenants in the second side smoke indoors, continuously pay rent a little late, and a contractor is telling me their side is not safe to live in. I sent a certified letter giving them 30 days to move out. They are not receiving the notice that I will not be renewing their lease. What are my options at this point? They say they are willing to meet up and talk about it. I’m willing to offer cash for keys. What can I do if they will not receive the notice?

Can you just hand it to them in person. Maybe take a video of the exchange to prove they received it?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Filppu
  • New to Real Estate
  • Evansville, IN
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Evansville, IN
Replied

I attempted the very thing you are suggesting. They have not opened the door for me.

Thank you for your reply. 

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
John Teachout
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, GA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, GA
Replied

Just because they won't sign for the notice doesn't mean it wasn't sent. Document everything. Next time the rent is late, even a day, post the property with a notice of eviction. It sounds like it's going to go that route anyway.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Michael Filppu

Get an attorney and file eviction.

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied
Aloha,

As always, CHECK YOUR LOCAL Landlord/Tenant LAWS. It is likely you can simply post the notice securely on their front door, taking a photo and/or having a witness for evidence of posting. The notice, depending again on local law, may simply need to be a notice of non-renewal. Once they are past the required vacate date, then immediately initiate the eviction in the manner prescribed by law, which MAY require an attorney, or you simply file a standard form at your court for a very small fee.

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#2 Starting Out Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

Unless you “just learn the procedure, regardless of lost time or added expenses” then go ahead and do it yourself. OTHERWISE, hire an eviction attorney. It’s all they do. They’ll do it right, they’ll do it legal and they’ll do it fast. You may get your place back weeks if not months faster and the additional rent will pay for their services. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied

Evict them, but you really should hire a PM co and let them handle 
Good luck 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Evict them, but you really should hire a PM co and let them handle PS, tape the letter to their door, 
Good luck 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

Post the notice on their door and tape it heavily so it can't accidentally disappear. Take a time-stamped photo as proof. Make sure the notice is clear that failure to vacate will result in eviction and additional charges.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
Replied

Not sure I'd believe the contractor -did you hire them?  You sent the notice via certified mail, so you should have proof that it was delivered.

Have another notice served and either video yourself doing it or pay someone (a professional) to serve it.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied

You've already received good advice regarding the notice. My questions:

1. Why do you want them out? Will you stand to make a lot more money with new tenants? 

2. Do you charge them late fees and do they pay them?

3. Have you verified this contractor claim and where did it come from? 

If you're not going to make big money with them moving, you should think it through. Since they smoke inside, assuming they've done it forever (since they are inherited) you're already screwed there. The place is going to need a complete repaint inside and maybe further work. If you can get them straight on the rent by making it clear you have a strong policy, you may not need to go any further. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Filppu
  • New to Real Estate
  • Evansville, IN
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Evansville, IN
Replied

Let me try to answer all of your questions. First off, yes, I have received a lot of great advice and I am grateful for it. Most of the tenants’ bad behavior I can blame on myself and the previous owner. While I was fixing up the first side of the duplex, I tried unsuccessfully to get them to be off the property smokers. I let some of their other behavior slide because their side paid for the entire mortgage while I did renovations. Since a family has moved into the renovated side, they complain consistently of the smell of cigarette smoke. The place needed major renovations since before I purchased it. It had a leaking roof, an old coal-fed furnace, and a host of other problems. I thought I would have time to save up for some of these repairs, but now it looks like everything is happening at once (with the other repairs, the furnace and roof have already been finished). With the smokers out, I can make the place entirely updated, and make a lot more in cash flow every month. The contractor is not telling me anything I didn’t already know, I had just hoped it would have been a little later. 
I hope this added a little bit of context and answered some questions. I am grateful for everyone’s responses. Thank you. 

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!