• Rental Property Investor
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
Ready To Get Started In Ohio!!

Michael P.
  • Brooke Park Drive
Posted May 17 2024, 07:42

I’m looking to build my team in Ohio. I’ve heard that Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Canton, Akron, Dayton, and Toledo are good markets to invest in.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 22 2024, 05:42
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Joshua Janus:
Quote from @Josh Fugle:

10% sounds like a good return

Same question for the three of you I guess. If we are new and not getting 30 per door and 10%CoC, how would you use OPM for deals that don't have enough rhab equity to fix and refi to pay back your downpayment loan?

You'll need to find value add opportunities in order to capture the equity to pay back the OPM. The bigger the margin the better chance you will do well

You are not getting " value add" for the reasons I mentioned. If you do, then what? Who's doing all the hard work?  Sure, you may find someone that is willing to do all the work for you but sorry I will not. So many just think they can post on various social media platforms and build their biz, off the back of those that have already done it, not going to happen. My colleagues ( Josh, James, Remington, Engelo and others ) and I have worked our asses off to " press a button " and get what we want, nobody is giving that away. 

When you are ready to close on a property feel free to reach out, I am happy to guide you. Again, lower your expectations.

Good luck 

Just spent a few hours stalking the new properties we brought to our PM book.

Bloody nora mate, hard to believe what folks are buying and where and for how much 🤷‍♂️

First time in 10+ years that I actually started getting worried a bit about our market.

I mean, we are talking D class stuff selling for $80,000+

All off the MLS also.

Toledo got some sexy PR this year but this is insane.

Can't sell turnkey in B class for sub $100,000 if my life depended on it.

But D class run down $%#@ off the MLS selling for $80,000 all day long.

And some solid comps to support this $#%@ also...

PM is booming so we will ride the wave.

Surfs up 🏄

What a shame though.... Buying MLS crap for $80,000 and than needing to put in another $5,000 - $10,000 to make it rent ready.

Gotta be something in the water on the West Coast lol

I’ll take 43605 for $85,000 Alex 

Jk i don’t touch D class

Meanwhile the zip population is down -14.5% over the last 11 years while the prices go up 😵‍💫

You are overthinking/analyzing. I have been hearing that same BS about Clevland for 10 years. Meanwhile there are brand new massive residential buildings going up everywhere, 2 LANES INTO 4, 4 into 6, Amazon taking 2 mill sq ft, brand new 20 story Sherwin Williams building in the heart of everything, new restaurants, try getting a hotel room for under 500 in season and more.  Pricing in ALL areas have tripled quadrupled and more. MF have gone from 5k per unit to 60kish. Try getting a good deal on a MF not happening. East Cleveland will IMO be unrecognizable along the Euclid corridor in 5, 8 years. Those in the know understand why. Try getting a property there, nothing available for a reason. 12 years ago, I heard about the numbers, I flew in. Within my 1st day I put 2 duplexes under contract, 1ST DAY never even looked on the internet and researched/analyzed. Well since then, let's just say I have done 1 or two.RE is just math, why so many take months and months to " analyze" is mindboggling. I find those that sit and analyze never do a deal. 
All the best  

Sounds great for Cleveland.  This is for a specific (ghetto) zip code in Toledo.

Talk with @Engelo Rumora I'm sure he will tell you the same thing. I know nothing about Toledo, 

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied May 22 2024, 05:52
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Josh Fugle:

Same question for the three of you I guess. If we are new and not getting 30 per door and 10%CoC, how would you use OPM for deals that don't have enough rhab equity to fix and refi to pay back your downpayment loan?

You'll need to find value add opportunities in order to capture the equity to pay back the OPM. The bigger the margin the better chance you will do well

You are not getting " value add" for the reasons I mentioned. If you do, then what? Who's doing all the hard work?  Sure, you may find someone that is willing to do all the work for you but sorry I will not. So many just think they can post on various social media platforms and build their biz, off the back of those that have already done it, not going to happen. My colleagues ( Josh, James, Remington, Engelo and others ) and I have worked our asses off to " press a button " and get what we want, nobody is giving that away. 

When you are ready to close on a property feel free to reach out, I am happy to guide you. Again, lower your expectations.

Good luck 

Bloody nora mate, hard to believe what folks are buying and where and for how much 🤷‍♂️

First time in 10+ years that I actually started getting worried a bit about our market.

All off the MLS also.

Surfs up 🏄

What a shame though.... Buying MLS crap for $80,000 and than needing to put in another $5,000 - $10,000 to make it rent ready.

Jk i don’t touch D class

Meanwhile the zip population is down -14.5% over the last 11 years while the prices go up 😵‍💫

You are overthinking/analyzing. I have been hearing that same BS about Clevland for 10 years. Meanwhile there are brand new massive residential buildings going up everywhere, 2 LANES INTO 4, 4 into 6, Amazon taking 2 mill sq ft, brand new 20 story Sherwin Williams building in the heart of everything, new restaurants, try getting a hotel room for under 500 in season and more.  Pricing in ALL areas have tripled quadrupled and more. MF have gone from 5k per unit to 60kish. Try getting a good deal on a MF not happening. East Cleveland will IMO be unrecognizable along the Euclid corridor in 5, 8 years. Those in the know understand why. Try getting a property there, nothing available for a reason. 12 years ago, I heard about the numbers, I flew in. Within my 1st day I put 2 duplexes under contract, 1ST DAY never even looked on the internet and researched/analyzed. Well since then, let's just say I have done 1 or two.RE is just math, why so many take months and months to " analyze" is mindboggling. I find those that sit and analyze never do a deal. 
All the best  

Sounds great for Cleveland.  This is for a specific (ghetto) zip code in Toledo.

Talk with @Engelo Rumora I'm sure he will tell you the same thing. I know nothing about Toledo, 

He will only talk to me in a strip club. That goes against my values.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jenny Craven
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield, OH
Replied May 22 2024, 07:07
Quote from @Robert Ellis:
Quote from @Jenny Craven:

Hi! I live, work, and invest in Springfield, OH and am currently working mostly with investors. It's between Dayton and Columbus off of 70 and so is a fabulous commuter area for those cities. Depending on where in Springfield you are, you can get to downtown Columbus in ~40 minutes, Dayton in ~30, Cincinnati in ~1.5 hours, or Indianapolis in 2. That includes their major airports. 

The majority of Springfield is older homes, but that does not mean there aren't excellent opportunities for investment. On the far east side there are multiple new housing developments going up, as well as in town, too. Springfield can get a bad rep for the crime rates, but I live five minutes from town and do not feel unsafe. There are areas I wouldn't personally invest that I can speak to, but there are just so many opportunities. We have several small businesses opening up and major developers working to revitalize our downtown. I fully believe the growth here is going to be massive in the next 5-10 years. 

My town is growing and I see great deals all the time. I send out a weekly newsletter with on market deals and any off-market that I'm aware of at the time. I analyze them to find 1%+ buy and holds or any potential fix and flips. Today I sent out a 12 unit, multiple duplexes, flips and rental opportunities, and more. 

Feel free to reach out anytime if you have interest in hearing more about it! 

Springfield has new builds now with Ryan Homes, Arbor Homes, Fischer Homes which it never did before. most are in the 200s which is tough to build in I would say but I would say the opposite it's doing really well. 

Agreed! DR Horton was coming too but pulled out. I never heard why but a big name local developer bought that land and the plans so I'm excited to see what he does. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed in a big way that the Melody Parks development on the far east side will include major retailers like Target etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 22 2024, 08:30
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Tyeler Mazey:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Im a brand new investor in the northwest ohio area I would love to connect with others that invest in the area to be able to learn and have some like minded people! If your willing please message me or however it works to connect on here. Im new to BP too if you can't tell. Good luck and may the rates be ever in your favor. 

what is it you are wanting to do? 

For now I think just invest in SFH or duplex/triplex properties but within decent areas, don't mind having them be rehabs as I have time and the help when it comes to knowledge and assistance. But for connecting literally just to be in discussions and around others of the like minded people to be able to learn. I am very new to a lot of the language and strategies so I am still trying to discover what would work best for me. 

Good luck with that, 

Im hoping you meant this to be genuine. I'll take it that way regardless. I hope that your next deal goes well for you! 

Try searching Facebook groups for toledo real estate

Mate, the wholesalers are a bloody joke.

Find me 1 decent 1 in Toledo please on the Facebook groups? lol

I think he wants to meet other investors, there are some hanging out there

Yes I would love to meet other investors but there are no meet ups in my area. The closest ones are over an hour away in a different state and a completely different market. At least the meetups that are on BP. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied May 22 2024, 08:45
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Im a brand new investor in the northwest ohio area I would love to connect with others that invest in the area to be able to learn and have some like minded people! If your willing please message me or however it works to connect on here. Im new to BP too if you can't tell. Good luck and may the rates be ever in your favor. 

what is it you are wanting to do? 

For now I think just invest in SFH or duplex/triplex properties but within decent areas, don't mind having them be rehabs as I have time and the help when it comes to knowledge and assistance. But for connecting literally just to be in discussions and around others of the like minded people to be able to learn. I am very new to a lot of the language and strategies so I am still trying to discover what would work best for me. 

Good luck with that, 

Im hoping you meant this to be genuine. I'll take it that way regardless. I hope that your next deal goes well for you! 

Try searching Facebook groups for toledo real estate

Mate, the wholesalers are a bloody joke.

Find me 1 decent 1 in Toledo please on the Facebook groups? lol

I think he wants to meet other investors, there are some hanging out there

Yes I would love to meet other investors but there are no meet ups in my area. The closest ones are over an hour away in a different state and a completely different market. At least the meetups that are on BP. 

Check out Property Investors Network (PIN)

User Stats

Votes
Roger Loesel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Ohio
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Ohio
Replied May 22 2024, 10:12

That depends! Prices have defiantly gone up in Columbus OH since 2007. If you want a good investment with appreciation and that almost runs itself [turn key property class A, B investment ] you will pay for it and margins will be tighter. But is that from acquisition costs, rehab costs, or interests rates? There is an argument that the BURR strategy is dead due to acquisition costs, rehab costs, and interests rates all going up. Making flips the best  strategy out there theses days. But if you don't have a rehab crew or aren't handy; you are buying turnkey investments at the height of the real estate market in most markets. So acquisition costs, rehab costs, maintenance costs,  and debt service eat away at the monthly cashflow.  

We just bought a 3/1 in 43223 50% of ARV - needs 20% of ARV to get rented for 1100.00 a month. On the other hand in February we did a flip in 43229 - acquisition was 45% of ARV. The Rehab was 30% of ARV.

My point is this there are deals in every market! The key is knowing the right strategy to make the deal work for your needs, goals, and capabilities!  

If you want to talk more - reach out to me!

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied May 22 2024, 10:48
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Josh Fugle:

Good luck 

All off the MLS also.

Surfs up 🏄

Jk i don’t touch D class

All the best  

He will only talk to me in a strip club. That goes against my values.

You suggested it hehe

But does it go against your core value is the question? haha

Micro economics are always different to macro and investors that solely rely on online market stats/demographics will miss the point.

Online stats and demographics will never beat "feet on the ground" and real life day to day knowledge of what happens on the ground.

For example, we know when a mosquito does a fart and Mike P always messages me privately about what new strip club is opening in Toledo and when hehe

Online stats never reveal such things haha 

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied May 22 2024, 10:50
Quote from @Roger Loesel:

That depends! Prices have defiantly gone up in Columbus OH since 2007. If you want a good investment with appreciation and that almost runs itself [turn key property class A, B investment ] you will pay for it and margins will be tighter. But is that from acquisition costs, rehab costs, or interests rates? There is an argument that the BURR strategy is dead due to acquisition costs, rehab costs, and interests rates all going up. Making flips the best  strategy out there theses days. But if you don't have a rehab crew or aren't handy; you are buying turnkey investments at the height of the real estate market in most markets. So acquisition costs, rehab costs, maintenance costs,  and debt service eat away at the monthly cashflow.  

We just bought a 3/1 in 43223 50% of ARV - needs 20% of ARV to get rented for 1100.00 a month. On the other hand in February we did a flip in 43229 - acquisition was 45% of ARV. The Rehab was 30% of ARV.

My point is this there are deals in every market! The key is knowing the right strategy to make the deal work for your needs, goals, and capabilities!  

If you want to talk more - reach out to me!

Agreed, the deals are always to be had if one looks hard enough and know's the game.

Don't hate the player, hate the game if you don't know how to play it hehe

User Stats

Votes
Cyndi Lees
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Replied May 23 2024, 00:51

Hey can you send me your newsletter.

User Stats

Votes
Abdullah Al-mamoon
  • Real Estate Investor
  • alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • alexandria, VA
Replied May 23 2024, 07:09

why ohio why is it better than other states?

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 23 2024, 07:12
Quote from @Abdullah Al-mamoon:

Price point vs rent. There is a reason investors from around the world have been investing there for 12 + years 

User Stats

Votes
Abdullah Al-mamoon
  • Real Estate Investor
  • alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • alexandria, VA
Replied May 23 2024, 07:14
what about the age of the homes and the maintenance costs?

User Stats

Votes
Roger Loesel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Ohio
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Ohio
Replied May 23 2024, 07:35

It may not be for everyone! But for those that want proven research this is what I show them.

https://www.morpc.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/P...

https://cuchimes.com/02/2024/columbus-boom-population-growth...

To answer that question with a simple answer - There is population growth, opportunity fueling that growth and the numbers still make sense when the right strategies are used. Reach out to me if you would like to talk more. Have a great day!  

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied May 23 2024, 07:50

Tends to be landlord friendly can evict in a month or so if needed. Not years like some other states.

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied May 23 2024, 07:51

Yes you should factor that in to your calculations, as with any state you invest in.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied May 29 2024, 23:04
Quote from @Michael P.:

Yes you should factor that in to your calculations, as with any state you invest in.

If they have stood the test of time for 100 years, likelihood they will stand the test of the time for the next 100 years.

Deduct extra as a margin of safety for CAPEX from the bottom line but also keep in mind that repairs are much lower in Ohio compared to other states.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 30 2024, 09:05
Quote from @Michael P.:

I’m looking to build my team in Ohio. I’ve heard that Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Canton, Akron, Dayton, and Toledo are good markets to invest in.

Hey Michael, I like Columbus Ohio because I see it being one of the biggest metropolitan cities in the next 10-20 years, all signs are pointing here! Population is growing aggressively and jobs are moving here especially with major employers like Intel, Google, Amazon, Nationwide, etc. On top of that, you have one of the biggest and best universities in the world here with Ohio State University. The cost of living is extremely low compared to other cities and you can still many many positive cash flowing and 1% deals here. On top of that, you get great appreciation and very landlord friendly laws. Tons of investors are buying Columbus up! As an investor and agent here, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 30 2024, 09:06
Quote from @Michael P.:

Ok so its been two weeks, anything under contract ? 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 30 2024, 09:07

100% irrelevant, if the reno was /is done properly 

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied May 30 2024, 09:24
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:

How is that possible in two weeks. First I need to build my Core 4 and set up my LLC. The lawyer has been a little slow to respond with my LLC filing. Once that is done I will start setting up Zillow searches to find a great deal at 70% of ARV minus renovation cost. Slow and stead wins the race. I also need more time to study the stats and demographics of each zip code in Ohio. Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 30 2024, 09:32
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:

How is that possible in two weeks. First I need to build my Core 4 and set up my LLC. The lawyer has been a little slow to respond with my LLC filing. Once that is done I will start setting up Zillow searches to find a great deal at 70% of ARV minus renovation cost. Slow and stead wins the race. I also need more time to study the stats and demographics of each zip code in Ohio. Thank you.

You do NOT need an LLC to buy a prop or look. Also do the LLC yourself it takes 20 min 150 bux. Also you are not getting anything listed /great deal at ALL IN 70% on Zillow. You are WAY overanalyzing. My 1st day in Cleveland, I put two props under contract. Demographics in each ZIP,? How about this, LOW income in ALL. Crime in ALL. Schools, terrible in ALL, how's that LOL,,,,,,, Bro you are way overthinking. You way you are months away from closing. Also, if you are not cash, well, add more time, ( will not get any great deal) just tell you what you need to hear vs want

Good luck 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied May 30 2024, 09:37
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:

You do NOT need an LLC to buy a prop or look. Also do the LLC yourself it takes 20 min 150 bux. Also you are not getting anything listed /great deal at ALL IN 70% on Zillow. You are WAY overanalyzing. My 1st day in Cleveland, I put two props under contract. Demographics in each ZIP,? How about this, LOW income in ALL. Crime in ALL. Schools, terrible in ALL, how's that LOL,,,,,,, Bro you are way overthinking. You way you are months away from closing. Also, if you are not cash, well, add more time, ( will not get any great deal) just tell you what you need to hear vs want

Good luck 

LOL  Michael your such a sheet disturber .. Ohio is the new Memphis !!!  at least with the Ohio Agents attacking BP with vigor.. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied May 30 2024, 09:43
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:

Good luck 

I have invested $20,000 from my credit card to get mentoring from an elite group of investors that use tactics and strategies far above the ordinary investor. It is my training, and I will share it here for free that you need to set up a series LLC putting one property into each LLC and then a master LLC to own them all. $150 bux is not realistic my lawyers charge will be $3750 combined for all of the work. Again this is higher level investing, not for the amateurs that want to buy the first property they see the first day they drive thru ohio.

Also buying cash is for fools. I have been mentored that using other peoples money (OPM) is the true path to wealth. I will be buying sub-2 with a wrap with OPM and putting it into a syndication.

Again this is above the skill of a typical investor and will take a year or 2 to get the foundation set up before I actually buy any property. Just the syndication paperwork alone to the SEC is $30,000 which I am currently opening another credit card for with 2x miles on portugal airlines.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 30 2024, 11:17
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:

Good luck 

I have invested $20,000 from my credit card to get mentoring from an elite group of investors that use tactics and strategies far above the ordinary investor.It is my training, and I will share it here for free that you need to set up a series LLC putting one property into each LLC and then a master LLC to own them all. $150 bux is not realistic my lawyers charge will be $3750 combined for all of the work. Again this is higher level investing, not for the amateurs that want to buy the first property they see the first day they drive thru ohio.

Also buying cash is for fools. I have been mentored that using other peoples money (OPM) is the true path to wealth. I will be buying sub-2 with a wrap with OPM and putting it into a syndication.  

Again this is above the skill of a typical investor and will take a year or 2 to get the foundation set up before I actually buy any property. Just the syndication paperwork alone to the SEC is $30,000 which I am currently opening another credit card for with 2x miles on portugal airlines.  

WOW, I REALLY need to start charging people. Sorry bro, but 99% of this is 100% useless and not necessary.

All the best 

User Stats

Votes
Eric James
  • Malakoff, TX
Votes |
  • Malakoff, TX
Replied May 30 2024, 15:41

Somebody needs to repost that "core 4" stooges photo