Philly Newbie Turning Research into Action — First House Hack in Sight

Philly Newbie Turning Research into Action — First House Hack in Sight

Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 2 votes

Hey BP fam,

I’m in the middle of my first house hack journey here in Philadelphia and going through the NACA program.

Right now I’m approved for $467K, but that only allows me to buy up to a duplex. My ultimate goal is to land a triplex or quadplex, which I’ll qualify for after the next few months by showing proof of rent payments (currently paying my mom — fully documented).

Here’s my current game plan:

  • Keep documenting rent payments so I can get approved for a 3–4 unit.

  • Meet with my counselor again in November for the next update.

  • Complete my payment shock requirement of $2,500/month to prepare for the higher mortgage approval.

  • While I wait, I'm researching neighborhoods, running numbers on deals, and looking for value-add opportunities that fit NACA's guidelines.

I’m also diving into Philly-specific house hacking strategies and would love advice from locals or anyone who’s invested here. Right now I’m looking into:

  • Fox Chase

  • Cedar Park

  • Overbrook

  • The Zoo area (near Fairmount Park)

If you’ve used NACA or house hacked in Philadelphia, I’d love to hear:

  • How your approval changed when you moved from 1–2 units to 3–4 units.

  • Any tips for getting the best deal in these neighborhoods.

  • General lessons learned from your first Philly house hack — especially around tenant screening, PMs, or local zoning quirks.

I’m in this for the long game and ready to move when the timing’s right.

Thanks in advance,
Andre

1Reply
50 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Phialdelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 509 posts · 627 votes
    1y

    Hi Andre, 

    I'd suggest reaching out to @Alan Asriants He is a local RE Agent and he had a house hack himself in FoxChase. 

  • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    thank you sir!

  • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    I appreciate the response! You wouldn't happen to know any NACA certified real estate agents would you?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.