Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes
Peter Baldridge
Votes |
Evaluating Smaller Markets - Ohio

Peter Baldridge
Posted Mar 5 2024, 21:28

I'm wondering if anyone can help me answer this question. 

I'm already invested in long term rentals in a smaller market outside of Cleveland Ohio. I'm interested in mid-term rentals for travel nurses. There's a regional hospital in the area, and I see a few mid term rentals located next to it. However, I've noticed that most of these rentals are completely vacant and show no bookings in the months ahead. Worse, they have no reviews.

My question is: is there simply no demand in this area, or is there something that I'm missing? Secondly, does anyone have a good metric for evaluating mid-term rental demand?

I would appreciate any and all feedback even if it's just telling me that I'm missing the obvious.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Mar 6 2024, 06:49

Hi Peter - where are you seeing these properties? If you're looking on Furnished Finder (which tends to be one of the most popular sites for traveling nurses), gauging how frequently the properties are booked or past bookings can be difficult as Furnished Finder provides you leads and then you book (set up lease, etc) with the your renters directly (see FF FAQs). Since they are really just lead platform and not full service (like Airbnb) tenants do not always leave reviews. Mid term rentals tend to be listed on many different sites so I would also recommend looking at Airbnb/VRBO for 30+ day stays and Zillow as well if you haven't. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Peter Baldridge
Votes |
Replied Mar 6 2024, 08:35

Hey Zachary, I was looking at Furnished Finder. Thanks for explaining the nuance around the direct bookings. I'll take a look at VRBO and AirBnB as well.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Mar 6 2024, 11:21

I'm also in NEO. It may be that the market it already oversaturated; I imagine that point is coming soon. Furnished Finder has info on how many people are searching for MTRs in a given market. Have you looked into their landlord resources yet? And @Zachary Deal also gave you perfect advice.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Goldman
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Mar 6 2024, 11:30

alot of my friends do super well with mid term by hospitals in ohio. would be glad to connect you to them. 

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks
Pro Member
#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Mar 6 2024, 15:50

Hi Peter, are you solely using Furnished Finder to assess the supply of MTRs in the market? Many landlords don't update their availability so FF can be skewed. I think you might need to consult with a local MTR expert in the area and/or dig a bit deeper into the market. I always use a mixture of sources between Furnished Finder, Zillow, DPGO, and other sites to understand the supply and demand of MTRs in the given market. 

My rule of thumb is that to invest in a MTR in the area I need to have at least 3 pillars of demand. Travel nurse demand is down quite a bit so I wouldn't just count on housing traveling medical professionals. 

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Mar 7 2024, 07:18

You'd have to be specific about the area you're referring to for anyone to be able to answer the question about demand. Have you looked up the stats on Furnished Finder? Where are you seeing that the properties have no reviews? Unlike Airbnb & VRBO, people who use FF very, very rarely leave a review so it's not uncommon for there to be no reviews on very busy properties. Is there an Extended Stay type hotel in your area? Tha'ts usually an indicator of demand. Likewise, look into some of the properties listed on Airbnb in your area that offer 30+ day stays to see how far out their calendars are booked. All of these can help you gauge demand in your area.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Baldridge
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2024, 17:26
Quote from @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:

I'm also in NEO. It may be that the market it already oversaturated; I imagine that point is coming soon. Furnished Finder has info on how many people are searching for MTRs in a given market. Have you looked into their landlord resources yet? And @Zachary Deal also gave you perfect advice.

Thanks Nicole. I will check out the Landlord resources!

User Stats

Votes
Peter Baldridge
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2024, 17:27
Quote from @Eric Goldman:

alot of my friends do super well with mid term by hospitals in ohio. would be glad to connect you to them. 

That would be great Eric! I'd love to learn more from someone who's an expert in the field. 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Baldridge
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2024, 17:28
Quote from @Jamie Banks:

Hi Peter, are you solely using Furnished Finder to assess the supply of MTRs in the market? Many landlords don't update their availability so FF can be skewed. I think you might need to consult with a local MTR expert in the area and/or dig a bit deeper into the market. I always use a mixture of sources between Furnished Finder, Zillow, DPGO, and other sites to understand the supply and demand of MTRs in the given market. 

My rule of thumb is that to invest in a MTR in the area I need to have at least 3 pillars of demand. Travel nurse demand is down quite a bit so I wouldn't just count on housing traveling medical professionals. 

Thanks Jamie, I didn't know about that FF detail. I don't think the area that I'm looking at has more than one pillar of demand. It might be time to look at a different market. 

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Mar 9 2024, 12:09

I offer MTR market reports, if you'd ever like to learn more about them DM me!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Mar 12 2024, 06:45
Quote from @Peter Baldridge:

I'm wondering if anyone can help me answer this question. 

I'm already invested in long term rentals in a smaller market outside of Cleveland Ohio. I'm interested in mid-term rentals for travel nurses. There's a regional hospital in the area, and I see a few mid term rentals located next to it. However, I've noticed that most of these rentals are completely vacant and show no bookings in the months ahead. Worse, they have no reviews.

My question is: is there simply no demand in this area, or is there something that I'm missing? Secondly, does anyone have a good metric for evaluating mid-term rental demand?

I would appreciate any and all feedback even if it's just telling me that I'm missing the obvious.

Probably a lot of those houses are in the hood. Travel nurses don't wanna live in the Hood. The hospitals are in the hood.