Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Wholesaling
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matt Bickham
Votes |
I have a $250m hotel for sale… how do I sell it

Matt Bickham
Posted Aug 10 2022, 21:23

I need an end buyer for a $250m hotel in NY apprised at $275m. It’s a great deal, and I’m luck to get to work on it, but I have no idea how to find someone to buy that. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jim Pellerin
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • USA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • USA
Replied Aug 10 2022, 21:57

What do you mean, " you have a property for sale". 

Do you have an exclusive agreement with the seller?

User Stats

Votes
Matt Bickham
Votes |
Replied Aug 10 2022, 23:22
Quote from @Jim Pellerin:

The property is under contract, and I am apart of the team of people searching for a buyer. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Aug 11 2022, 00:45

That's a huge deal to be working on and not knowing what you're doing. Your best bet is to find someone that understands deals of that magnitude, and knows the hospitality industry. 

American Real Estate 00848454 Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 11 2022, 03:47

@Matt Bickham

Get a commercial real estate agent.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Griffin Kaake
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Denver, CO
Replied Aug 11 2022, 09:28
Quote from @Matt Bickham:

I need an end buyer for a $250m hotel in NY apprised at $275m. It’s a great deal, and I’m luck to get to work on it, but I have no idea how to find someone to buy that. Thanks!

Matt, keep an open mind. I am seeing many hotels being converted to rentals due to the demand for rental housing. This is considered a "change in use" and there are many hoops to go through but can be very profitable for the investors. And, of course, the buyer is going to want to do a cost segregation study at the right time to increase their cash flow and reduce their taxes upfront. 

User Stats

Votes
Jim Pellerin
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • USA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • USA
Replied Aug 11 2022, 09:42

The property is under contract, and I am apart of the team of people searching for a buyer. 

Sorry to sound cynical but I get a lot of requests from people trying to sell larger properties such as MFUs and Hotels. I have a large list from 1 "rep" with 50+ hotels for example. Btw, I represent private equity firms looking for these larger deals.

What type of contract do you have in place? Is it a Purchase and Sale Agreement? So you are looking to assign the contract? Or is it a listing agreement? Or is it a marketing agreement? Or is it a buyer's representation agreement? Also, is this property off-market.

User Stats

Votes
Jerryll Noorden
Professional Services
#2 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Votes |
Professional Services
#2 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Replied Aug 11 2022, 09:51

Not my intention to be negative here but...

The property shouldn't be under contract when you have no idea to get it done.

The job of a wholesaler is to provide solutions to the  sellers problem. It is not fair to the seller to put it under contract without having a solid exit strategy... UNLESS you explained to the seller that you don't yet have a solution and you will find one and seller OK'ed it.

Damage is done. it is what it is... so in order to still give some value...

I would indeed get in touch with some big commercial real estate brokerages and see what can be done. But to find a cash buyer for that... will be hard... not impossible... but hard.

Good luck man.

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied Aug 11 2022, 18:37

@Matt Bickham rolls eyes.

User Stats

Votes
Jenny Perron
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Aug 12 2022, 14:00

@Chris Seveney. Yes! Definitely get a Commercial Real Estate Agent with Experience! 

User Stats

Votes
Jenny Perron
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Aug 12 2022, 14:00

If you get an experienced commercial agent ( not a residential one) they have access to many many platforms and buyers they can connect to. I would do it for you but I'm in LA so i cant :( but you have a great property it will sell with the right help!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 13 2022, 06:54

@Matt Bickham you aren’t talking to individual people at this level you are talking to funds: private equity, real estate, med-big family offices. Some private developers with those connections.

You don’t walk in off the street with these guys with a “good deal”

And I think there are firms that specialize in conversions like these, especially lately. Check out the names of companies in colliers quarterly reports for your region for instance.

Assuming u r part of a larger group here? Pitchbook, market analysis, etc?

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Aug 13 2022, 07:17
Quote from @Jonathan R McLaughlin:

@Matt Bickham you aren’t talking to individual people at this level you are talking to funds: private equity, real estate, med-big family offices. Some private developers with those connections.

And I think there are firms that specialize in conversions like these, especially lately. Check out the names of companies in colliers quarterly reports for your region for instance.

this reminds me of my earlier years when I had what I thought was an interesting play in Northern CA..  And i got a connection to investment group in Hong Kong.. I flew to Hong Kong from SF was amazed that I got to see the head of said group at my young age :)  I even bought a suit and shoes in Hong Kong before i went to the meeting Cut my hair etc. He was nice enough to see me for 10 minutes Says we like SF but we only work with X Y Z and names top ten firms in the US..  I suppose something like this could happen. but transactions at that level happen between principals and very established commercial brokerages.   Kind of reminds me of the joker broker note guys all saying they are direct to some 50 million dollar note package .

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 13 2022, 07:27
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

this reminds me of my earlier years when I had what I thought was an interesting play in Northern CA..  And i got a connection to investment group in Hong Kong.. I flew to Hong Kong from SF was amazed that I got to see the head of said group at my young age :)  I even bought a suit and shoes in Hong Kong before i went to the meeting Cut my hair etc. He was nice enough to see me for 10 minutes Says we like SF but we only work with X Y Z and names top ten firms in the US..  I suppose something like this could happen. but transactions at that level happen between principals and very established commercial brokerages.   Kind of reminds me of the joker broker note guys all saying they are direct to some 50 million dollar note package .

Ha. I had someone yesterday on FB post that they are looking for note deals $100M+. This person did not know the difference between a note and mortgage. When I told them I only do deals above $1B they asked me where they could learn about notes.... 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 13 2022, 07:48

@Jay Hinrichs awesome. I worked on some non real estate international stuff at a young age and my boss sent me to korea and hong kong and said "come back well dressed" First nice suits I didn't borrow :) elkhorn buttons, working buttonholes, tailor made shirts...I was styling :) and it was maybe $500 for all that. Barely fit on my new credit cards :)

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Aug 13 2022, 07:55

@Jay Hinrichs awesome. I worked on some non real estate international stuff at a young age and my boss sent me to korea and hong kong and said "come back well dressed" First nice suits I didn't borrow :) elkhorn buttons, working buttonholes, tailor made shirts...I was styling :) and it was maybe $500 for all that. Barely fit on my new credit cards :)

my first custom leather shoes is what i remember the most.. plus things done there business wise at warp speed.. pretty cool .  I was working on a land play.. And housing in N. CA wine country.

the first thing they told me is they dont buy wood structures ONLY concrete :)  they invest for the long haul.. and then the land they had was in prime SF bay area locations that were uber valuable N. CA wine country was just coming into play I was 10 years to soon on that one. 

User Stats

Votes
Louis Zameryka
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Aug 13 2022, 13:01

@Matt Bickham if there is one thing you don’t want to buy as a hotel investor it’s a NY hotel.

DM me if you are really in a jam and I’ll consider what I might be able to do to help.

Account Closed
  • pennsylvania
Votes |
  • pennsylvania
Replied Aug 15 2022, 06:27

@Matt Bickham Can you explain what you mean by “under contract” and what role is “your team” playing in this transaction?