Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Wholesaling
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback
Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Yuma, AZ
Votes |
Is it ilegal to use fake POF? [[ WHOLESALING ]]

Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Yuma, AZ
Posted Aug 29 2019, 23:09

I KNOW IT MIGHT DEPEND. BUT, IS IT ILEGAL TO USE FAKE POF IN ORDER TO GET A PROPERTY UNDER CONTRACT

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 3 2022, 14:36
Quote from @Lydia R.:

@Fili Aguirre People like you are the reason that wholesalers get such a bad reputation. Wholesalers get labelled as scammers, criminals, deviants and unethical and its people like you engaging in practices such as using fake POF that cause an entire group of people to be painted with one broad brush.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 3 2022, 14:38
Quote from @Lydia R.:

@Fili Aguirre People like you are the reason that wholesalers get such a bad reputation. Wholesalers get labelled as scammers, criminals, deviants and unethical and its people like you engaging in practices such as using fake POF that cause an entire group of people to be painted with one broad brush.

So as a wholesaler, how do you provide a proof of funds when you don’t have one? Can you use your cash buyers pof in your name? Can you get a hard money lender to write you one? I’m very new to wholesaling and want to be ethical.  
Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 3 2022, 14:40
Quote from @Wayne Brooks:

@Account Closed This is Exactly why seller's and agents require a POF.....to prevent this "I have no money, but I hope to flip the contract" crap.

To be clear, sellers/agents only accept a POF which shows the cash in the name of the person signing b the contract/making the offer.....not some other third party.

I have never used a proof of funds.  I will never use a fake one.  But you calling it “crap”. Whats so wrong with assigning a contract especially if you tell the seller that’s what your gunna do and be upfront about it? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 3 2022, 14:43
Quote from @Aaron K.:

@Account Closed no because you don't as best I can tell.  That would be like showing them Wells Fargo's balance sheet as proof of funds, they also *might* fund the deal.  Sometimes white lies when negotiating are okay such as "Oh this one is gonna be slim for me" or things like that.  Other than that do NOT lie to or mislead someone in a real estate transaction full stop.

If you tell the agent or the seller before you do send the proof of funds that you are going to assign the contract will they be fine with you providing your buyers pof since you are upfront.  Also can you get a hard money lender to write you a pof?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 3 2022, 14:45
Quote from @Lynnette E.:
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

@Lynnette E. Have you done wholesaling?

Nope, but I did enter into a contract with a self identified flipper who was a scummy, sleazy, lying whole seller who could not buy a pack of gum with his own money... 

I’m getting into wholesaling. If I’m upfront and tell them what I plan to do with the contract (assign it) what’s so wrong with that? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 3 2022, 14:46
Quote from @Nigel Guisinger:

Integrity of this industry is not always what it should be. Would you want to deal with someone that isn’t telling the truth?  As you grow in this industry you only have your reputation. And when you get to the point that you have real wealth you will trade favors with others for favors. Don’t lie. Be honest. This board can give you a wealth of knowledge to make a fortune. This board has people that can lend and have balance sheets that can buy almost any deal. Be the kind of investor we all should be and operate above the board. 

So can I get a hard money lender to provide a pof? Even if I don’t have the funds myself.  

User Stats

Votes
Lydia R.#4 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin TX
Replied Mar 3 2022, 16:55

@Matt Macbride It honestly depends on the situation. Right now the market is so hot that you will always get more for your wholesale deals when you put them on the market. I have a lender that offers loans specifically for wholesalers and I close on properties and put them on the open market. However, the majority of off market sellers will not ask you for POF so dont even worry about something that will probably happen very rarely. Stay away from on market deals and youll be fine. Feel free to reach out to me any time and Im more than happy to help you get your first deal!

User Stats

Votes
Duncan Hayes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 4 2022, 17:25

why use a fake POF when you can literally connect with any real Hard Money Lender and get a real POF?