• Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
Early results on yellow letter mailing

Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Posted Nov 16 2012, 17:49

The mailing arrived yesterday and I started getting calls shortly after noon. I just checked my call history and I've had 28 calls since then. The mailing was to a list of 465. This is the best response rate I've had so far just one day after the letters hit. No sure deals yet, but a few possibilities.

I had planned to have a light schedule late this week to be able to take as any calls as possible, but life happens so today was crazy. I need to keep up though, because if I put off too many return calls, opportunities will be wasted. Not only that, but there are nearly 600 more letters scheduled to go out as soon as I ready. That was going to be next week, but now I see I need to put it off until after Thanksgiving.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Narciso
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 25 2015, 06:43
Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:

Here's what it looks like, though the copy is slightly different on this one:

Is that a font that printed?  Ho do you get it to align with the yellow paper?

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Apr 25 2015, 06:52

Eric, @Jerry Puckett does it for me with his magic. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Gary Parker
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Apr 26 2015, 12:52
Originally posted by @Winston Spence:

@Jon Klaus 

I know this thread is years late...

With the letter you gave as an example, what did you say when the seller asked how did you find and why do you want my house?

Did you come off as an investor or home buyer?

Thanks

I hope Jon doesnt mind my input.  I have use @Jerry Puckett's services, with success, and have had people call from that letter shown or close to that letter.   It is funny when we start as real estate investors we think there is a secret letter or secret way to talk to people.   And yes I know there are those that are experts in negotiation and how to "mimic", "lead" and all that stuff, but the basics of being honest of how one finds the people you mail to and what your intentions are is 100% the most successful way to be.   For example I am very forth right when I explain to people I am an investor and I make a profit doing what I do.  In return they will get a quick close and so on.  It goes beyond these few words, but be honest and educate the seller.  

Gary Buys Houses Logo
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied Apr 27 2015, 17:26

Just wanted to add that you consider the long term when using the yellow letter.  Is that letter something that you would keep in the property file to call on two years from now?  Does that person who wrote that letter look like they'll be in business next year?  Does it look like they are in business at all?

Last week I got THREE calls from letters sent over 2 years ago.  Each message started out with "I received your letter back in 2011" or "I found your letter dated October 2012 at my Dad's house".  My phone number is the same, my website address and email address is the same. They can vet me all over again, if they didn't when they received my letter.

Just a suggestion to think long term.  Not sure the yellow letter is the best long term marketing.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Apr 27 2015, 18:02

I know that I know that this is an old thread, but I do have an update. Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I bought a property for $95K. I only really needed to buy one property from this campaign and that was it. A few weeks ago we sold it for $200K. This, after we rented it out for a couple of years and put about $20k into it. I'm pretty happy with the profit, and especially the ROI on the yellow letters.

User Stats

Votes
Will F.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles County, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles County, CA
Replied Apr 28 2015, 10:42

Great job @jonklaus thanks for the update