Votes
Chris Aragon
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
I want to try wholesaling..

Chris Aragon
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Jan 21 2021, 10:19

Hello world!! Is anyone doing wholesaling in the (Northern California) Bay Area? I want to give wholesaling a try, not just in the Bay Area but in general. Looking for tips and good advice to get the ball rolling.

User Stats

Votes
Sean Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jan 21 2021, 16:48

Wholesaling is a pretty challenging business seeing as though you're going head to head up against other career-wholesalers. That being said, it's not impossible! I've worked with wholesalers to find properties for my flippers. It's all about finding the deal. Driving for dollars, direct mail, probate, tax defaults, networking, etc. There's a million ways to find a deal, you just need to pick one and get started.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Reed
  • Wholesaler
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
Replied Jan 22 2021, 10:27

Direct mail direct mail direct mail. 

I'm direct mail acquisition machine. I pull assessor data (with a direct link) of the type of properties in the areas I want and send ALL the property owners an offer. I scrub the list to remove things like properties with a mortgage, duplicates, etc. and spend a tremendous amount of time on pricing, because although these offers may be a lot less than retail, they are not out of the question. I explain in my offer letter to sellers that I am a serious investor, not and agent/broker, I pay cash, and are prepared to close as soon as x days.

Then I sit back and wait for the motivated sellers to call us. You can of course edit this model to fit how exactly you plan on purchasing and what specific property type you are looking for. Believe me - it works like a charm. That is how I GET THERE FIRST. By the time a deal reaches the MLS or a lead source, someone else has already beat you to it. Also, knocking on doors (aka "driving for dollars") is an outdated way of doing this and honestly isn't worth your time. It's no longer about possible subject to leads - we now have DATA and computers and direct mail to get there first. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any additional questions - I would love to help!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Lee
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jan 22 2021, 18:31

@Justin Reed Wow, this is first I've heard (sorry newbie here) about incorporating assessor data into the mailing campaign and to make it more concrete to prospects.  Can I reach out to learn more?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 23 2021, 12:32

First day on here and I’ve learned so much already. 

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Keighery
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied Jan 23 2021, 16:45

@Chris Aragon learn to value a property and estimate repairs. Negotiation is key, I recommend reading Chris Voss, Never split the difference. Also don't get a deal under contract that is above your MAO, but follow that lead up every month an wait for the sellers price to come down. You can do it, make it happen.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Aragon
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jan 25 2021, 11:15

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to order the book now.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Aragon
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jan 25 2021, 11:18

Hi @tim lee I'm new as well. Have you done any deals yet?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Aragon
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jan 25 2021, 11:21

@Justin Reed thanks for the feedback hopefully I'll be in contact with you soon.

User Stats

Votes
Lorenzo Pinkston
  • Real Estate Consultant
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
Replied Jan 25 2021, 11:25

I will co-sign with everybody else. It is definitely a hustle but can be very rewarding. I think one of the biggest things to have in place is a list of qualified investors ready to go. The key to wholesaling is to go into a cash buy contract fast and assign it to an investor within days of executing that contract. You will also need a great title company that is well versed in wholesaling and/or a great funding source for yourself or your investors. It is a streamline process if your network includes savvy professionals. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Aragon
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jan 25 2021, 11:27

@Sean Smith thanks for the tips! 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Aragon
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jan 25 2021, 11:31

@Lorenzo Pinkston I really appreciate your feedback this helps a lot thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Whitfield
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 26 2021, 03:26

@Chris Aragon I didn’t read all the previous posts but an excellent way to get started is D4D (driving for dollars) OR pulling lists. If you really want to make yourself stand out, I recommend pulling a list from someone like List Source and actually door knocking the white hot deals. Think about it...very few people are willing to do this! In a saturated market, big shot wholesalers are depending on letters, ring less voicemails, and other non-face-to-face interactions. I did this for a season and actually got a contract signed on my VERY. FIRST. DOOR. KNOCK. Do it, my man. Of course, you could take the frowned upon route and assign contracts from other wholesalers if there’s enough meat on the bone, but again, this sorta gives wholesalers a bad rep, so definitely double close.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tim Lee
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jan 26 2021, 18:05

@Chris Aragon  No deals and just starting out.  So much to learn, but I know I can do it! 

User Stats

Votes
Allan Yeung
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Replied Jan 30 2021, 10:09

I'm also researching into real estate wholesaling. Great to see several local investor in SF Bay Area.